Why buy a custom cue over a national brand?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a $1000 Troy Downey and a $230 Schmelke.
The Downey is way above the Scmelke in every aspect of quality , wood beauty and fit and finish.
But I like how the Schmelke plays better. Go figure!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any cue is only as good as your stroke and your ability to deliver your best stroke possible on every shot. That being said, if someone has to explain to you why a custom anything is different than a mass production anything; well, that is more of an education process thatI would not want to get into today in a few words.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any cue is only as good as your stroke and your ability to deliver your best stroke possible on every shot. That being said, if someone has to explain to you why a custom anything is different than a mass production anything; well, that is more of an education process that I would want to get into today in a few words.
I agree.
There are a lot of trends promoted and created by the pool cue manufacturers
to broaden their product offerings and create new markets for themselves.
Predator is brilliant at this.
Most of the pro players use carbon fiber shafts because it is supplied by their sponsors
with the hopes that it will increase their sales of said carbon fiber shafts.
They would play just as well with good old maple shafts.
The fact of the matter is that that a true lights out player will take a stick off the wall
and beat everybody in the room with that house cue.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree.
There are a lot of trends promoted and created by the pool cue manufacturers
to broaden their product offerings and create new markets for themselves.
Predator is brilliant at this.
Most of the pro players use carbon fiber shafts because it is supplied by their sponsors
with the hopes that it will increase their sales of said carbon fiber shafts.
They would play just as well with good old maple shafts.
The fact of the matter is that that a true lights out player will take a stick off the wall
and beat everybody in the room with that house cue.
Next time you see a pro, ask them right
before a match with a player of equal skill
if they will switch their cue with a house cue.

That last sentence might be the stupidest
common phrase in the pool hall.

While any cue in good shape will due, a cue strange to you is not going to benefit anyone except your opponent.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

While any cue in good shape will due, a cue strange to you is not going to benefit anyone except except your opponent.
Come on, he was just trying to make a point about stroke vs. cue. He said a pro walking into an average pool room and winning with a house cue. We are talking custom vs. production here, the utility of a cue is 95% dependent upon the person behind the cue. However, there is little equal in terms of most production cues vs. cues from the the best cue makers in terms of construction quality, attention to detail, degree of possible customization, choice of components, degree of precision, etc. etc.

Think of those custom cue makers who make their cues without weight bolts and are able to get your cue down to your exact weight within .1 ounces and make it at your required balance point specs- that is not something just anyone can do!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

While any cue in good shape will due, a cue strange to you is not going to benefit anyone except your opponent.

Might also ask the Pro, you playing with that Cue because you like & purchased with your own money, or builder gave to you, or builder pays you to play with his Cue?

Remember Allision Fisher play with Cuetech because of, 💰💰💰💰💰

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come on, he was just trying to make a point about stroke vs. cue. He said a pro walking into an average pool room and winning with a house cue. We are talking custom vs. production here, the utility of a cue is 95% dependent upon the person behind the cue. However, there is little equal in terms of most production cues vs. cues from the the best cue makers in terms of construction quality, attention to detail, degree of possible customization, choice of components, degree of precision, etc. etc.

Think of those custom cue makers who make their cues without weight bolts and are able to get your cue down to your exact weight within .1 ounces and make it at your required balance point specs- that is not something just anyone can do!
I always find that saying a little silly.

Cuemakers that make cues with great
balance without weight bolts are the pinnacle
to me.

You have to play a few cues until you really
know what you want. Once you do, custom
is a great way to go.

buyit

However, there is little equal in terms of most production cues vs. cues from the the best cue makers in terms of construction quality, attention to detail
I question that. If you watch some of the McDermott factory videos, they have machinery that a custom cue builder cannot afford. I think it's possible that McDermott makes cues with BETTER precision, construction quality, and attention to detail than any cue made by hand.

I think that what you get with a custom cue is a certain style particular to each custom cue maker. I like some custom cue maker's style and I don't like other's. I'm not experienced enough to know which construction method's are superior, so that may be a factor as well.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
They get free equipment. Many times they have
it customized to their liking. Some get cues to sell to make cash, some get a salary of sorts,
and some go wee,wee, wee all the way home.

That is sadly the majority of most sponsorship. Allison Fisher had a case of cues at a room I was at a lot
and she never sold a cue that I know of because they were all high end OB cues. She would have had to
post make me an offer on them to get anything out of them. There was a lot of good cheaper equipment
available there.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have both. My production cues are all from the 60’s to the late 80’s. My only customs at the moment are some custom sneakys, an old Bert Schrager and my Sowder conversion.
Having bought and sold numerous cues over the last 15 years, what I have come to realize is old production cues do not play like new production cues. The quality of wood from even 30 years ago is difficult to find now. Custom cue makers worth their salt will cull their wood in order to find the right shaft wood, they will work with your desired shaft taper, and they will allow you to choose woods, design and inlays, all for a price.
A fancy custom is not inherently better than a plain Jane Lucasi, much as a Geo Metro is not inherently better than a Porsche 911, if the goal is to go from point A to point B.

A fair amount of pool is the mental game. Having a pool cue that looks and feels the way you want can have a big impact on your mental game.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically there are four types of categories for those who buy a custom cue - one is the person who does not play pool very much, but is a collector of custom cues because something or many things about them appeals to their interest in collecting cues as a hobby/passion - very few fall into this category.
Second is the player who does not collect, but feels that the custom aspects of the cue may add something to their game. Often own only 1 or 2 customs.
Third is the player/ collector- often owns multiple customs/ exchanges them from time to time/ sees the custom as possibly adding to their game and also has a passion for customs as a hobby/interest. ( my personal category)

Fourth is those who are primarily interested in custom cues as a business- buying and selling - but may also fall into category three as well.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF??? 'Cause we like nice shit. Custom makers make REALLY nice shit. Any cue can play good. Can't believe this question keeps getting asked. Why are there: nice cars, clothes,watches,scotches,shoes, etc???????? 'Cause people like to have nice shit. If you've ever held/used a really sweet custom cue you'd quit asking this damn question. BTW, i own two cues, a Mezz and a Jensen 'bushka. Both play fine but the Jensen is a work of art, the Mezz a simple but functional tool.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
WTF??? 'Cause we like nice shit. Custom makers make REALLY nice shit. Any cue can play good. Can't believe this question keeps getting asked. Why are there: nice cars, clothes,watches,scotches,shoes, etc???????? 'Cause people like to have nice shit. If you've ever held/used a really sweet custom cue you'd quit asking this damn question. BTW, i own two cues, a Mezz and a Jensen 'bushka. Both play fine but the Jensen is a work of art, the Mezz a simple but functional tool.
Diogenes, extinguish thy lamp. People like to have nice stuff...it IS that simple. It's your money, your choice. I like nice stuff in some things, settle for functional tool in others. Both approaches are good...