Why do I keep getting chalk dust on my sfafts?

ukntcme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 2x4 case that I use. I have been putting shafts in tip first. Getting all kinds of dust on shafts. Is that the wrong way if so how do I clean the tubes in case.

Walt

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt that you can get the tubes very clean, but you can wipe the tips before putting them away to keep it from getting worse.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I have a 2x4 case that I use. I have been putting shafts in tip first. Getting all kinds of dust on shafts. Is that the wrong way if so how do I clean the tubes in case.

Walt
Unless it's the only way the shaft fits, I think tip first is the wrong way, for exactly that reason.

Wiping the tip and the shaft after playing should help too.

pj
chgo

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
It may be because of the way that you are chalking the tip.

You are probably grinding the chalk into the tip with the shaft at 90 degrees to the floor. This will cause dust to fall onto the shaft.

When chalking the tip hold the cue at a angle and “brush” the chalk across the tip. You don’t need to grind the chalk. Don’t use the chalk as a tip shaper.

Wipe down the shaft and tip before putting into the case.

Use joint protecters and put shafts joint down.

🎱

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Put a washcloth in the top of your case and use that to wipe down your tip and shaft before putting it away it tip-down.

The washcloth fits nicely inside the top of most cases to make it handy as can be.

It worked for me, may not for you.

Jeff Livingston

PS When you use the bathroom, wash your hands.

Last edited:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the let it turn blue statement, I don’t like pristine looking shafts, when I start playing with a new cue or shaft I look forward to it darkening up a little.

That being said, I hate chalk on my case too. I store tip down, always have and always will, and I just make sure to wipe my tips well before goin back in the case. My case has a red JB interior....chalk would show up if it was getting in my case but it isn’t, looks as clean as the day I got it.

Now, that won’t keep the shaft from turning blue. Chalk gets on the shaft when you chalk it, also gets on your hands and gets transferred to the shaft. My playing shaft has a decent amount of bluing going on and it’s not from the case at all.