Why do pros rarely use the dart stroke for jump shots?

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched Brandon Jacoby giving lessons of the dart stroke at their booth to a couple of guys a couple weeks back, and not only did he make the dart stroke look effortless, but explained how to practice it and how and why to do what was needed with it.
To be honest, I have only tried to jump a ball a couple times in practice before watching that, but after watching him give a demonstration to a couple other people, and how easy he made it look, I got out my Jacoby jumper when I came home and gave it a try. From lack of a success before to a moderate success almost immediately was really satisfying. He gave such clear and easy to understand instructions, that even a hack like me can mostly do it.

Flakeandrun

I watched Brandon Jacoby giving lessons of the dart stroke at their booth to a couple of guys a couple weeks back, and not only did he make the dart stroke look effortless, but explained how to practice it and how and why to do what was needed with it.
To be honest, I have only tried to jump a ball a couple times in practice before watching that, but after watching him give a demonstration to a couple other people, and how easy he made it look, I got out my Jacoby jumper when I came home and gave it a try. From lack of a success before to a moderate success almost immediately was really satisfying. He gave such clear and easy to understand instructions, that even a hack like me can mostly do it.
15 minutes of effort, and you can jump any which way you like. Believe in yourself. 加油加油!

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I probably still wouldn't use it in league yet, but after practicing it how he showed, I had no problem jumping a ball at mid range distances. Up close and far, forget it, but he did explain how and what to change for that. With my limited practice I wasn't able to perform it as well as he could explain it. Then also, there is that control aspect of where the cueball lands thing, that's going to take some practice. I mostly was able to hit the object ball, but also mostly a little left of where I wanted to hit it. I need to work on that.

Flakeandrun

No, I probably still wouldn't use it in league yet, but after practicing it how he showed, I had no problem jumping a ball at mid range distances. Up close and far, forget it, but he did explain how and what to change for that. With my limited practice I wasn't able to perform it as well as he could explain it. Then also, there is that control aspect of where the cueball lands thing, that's going to take some practice. I mostly was able to hit the object ball, but also mostly a little left of where I wanted to hit it. I need to work on that.
The added vertical dimension is something that needs some careful contemplation for sure. Much prefer longer jumps to anything short and finicky.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing for me for my jump shot has really ever changed.
  • I get clearance and landing better with a dart stroke.
  • I aim better with an underhand stroke.

But the pros seem to be able to do both now with that sidearm stroke.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I can get maybe a foot vertical with a standard shaft and tip but that takes enough tries to get the attention of the staff. They figure you're bent on destroying the cloth. I've seen a couple guys do this with a wall cue :oops: The stroke is close to a vertical miscue. Anyway, none of it is practical with my stature and chops. I can't get a linear stroke overhand and I can't get rock elevation with the sidearm.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
I’ve never even seen it used. Not even once. I think it’s more the fact of not a lot of players having their own equipment to practice on. You put a hole in the cloth at the hall. That’ll cost you $50.(kinda like straightline stated). Hell I’m the only person I’ve ever seen use a full masse shot there.But I get to practice those at home. And can make them. I’m not worried about putting a divot in the cloth.

Now I did think of a great way to get a bigger audience for a pro tournament through people’s comments here. How about a pro tournament? They gotta use those kiddy 40” cues? Now that would be interesting to watch.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren rarely jumps because he doesn't have to. His kicking skills provide better options. Putting whitey in the air has its hazards. My 8 ball airborne effort last night demonstrated that hazard oh too well. Jumping to make the 8 and have it get both points and go in another hole. 🤷‍♂️ The crowd went wild. 😉
Damn kids get off my lawn!!!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use dart when the cue ball is really close to the object ball but to me it’s harder and less accurate

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking for Dr. Cue doing this. Here's Andy Segal instead.

I like the effortless hit the darters get. Ross and Segal seem to have licked the skew problem.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

For those interested, I cover all three techniques in detail and discuss the pros and cons of each in these videos:

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like with everything, people go with what they are comfortable with. A number of the pros use the sidearm technique, which allows them to get higher elevation than the pendulum technique. This allows them to jump closer, which is what the dart is used for. It's just preference. The dart can be very accurate if done correctly.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A number of the pros use the sidearm technique, which allows them to get higher elevation than the pendulum technique. This allows them to jump closer, which is what the dart is used for.
Why then, do amateurs not use the sidearm stroke for the jump? :unsure:

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why then, do amateurs not use the sidearm stroke for the jump? :unsure:
Comfort and preference. There are many people that I have taught the dart technique to that can't life their arms that high. Some due to old age. Some due to medical history. They also find that the dart technique is very compact and simple and just stick with that.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
An aside for what it's worth:
Get the brag out first.....on the evening after I had defeated Steve Mizerack in our Sunday $5 eight ball tournament. .......we played darts. What a reward he laid on me. 🤷‍♂️
Dart skills translate to cueball control on the table. Straight pool is all about controlling whitey. Steve demonstrated 3 in a bed first 3 darts. Shrug 🤷‍♂️ just for what it's worth. As I lift my bud light to The Miz. Salute!

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Check out The Pen hold grip in table tennis. Compared to the shake hands grip. It gives a fine control using the fingers.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
... fine control using the fingers.

That's the problem with the dart stroke for many people. Any small motion of any of the three fingers (or the any slight twisting of the arm) causes stroking errors and bad results.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
That's the problem with the dart stroke for many people. Any small motion of any of the three fingers (or the any slight twisting of the arm) causes stroking errors and bad results.
Piano lessons are helpful for fine control of the fingers . Probably other music instruments as well.
Twisting of the arm? Why?
I had the privilege of observing dart lesson number 1. If I remember right ....the chair turned backwards and elbow resting on the chair back.