Why pool does not have big sponsors. A simple explanation.

IMHO, Pool is lacking gambling. Yes I said Gambling. All of the big four sports
are setup where a non-participant can get involved by placing a wager on the out come. For instance, if you eliminated wagering from these sports, they would just slowly bleed to death. People love to gamble, that is a proven fact, just look at Vegas, they have all the money. Hell people go on vacations to give their money away, LOL.

The question is, can gambling be incorporated in pool like the other sports?
If you watch the color of money, you would have to say it would be impossible because there are to many dishonest players involved. The only way I see this happening is, the stacks become so big that if you are caught dumping, you will pay a heavy price. For example, the players that got caught in tennis this past year, they were suspended for a few years, banned from the sport.
 
Vinnie said:
... Pool is just to boring to watch unless you are a player...

That about says it all, except it is often times boring to watch even when you are a player. The main reason I watch it is for it's instructional value.
 
One

All the other sports...NFL,MLB,NBA,PGA,LPGA,NASCAR,etc....all have ONE governing body, and ONE major tour, with smaller ones under their umbrella...all working to make the top ONE successful. If all the pool tours across the country sat down and decided to work together and have one tour, one name, with different divisions it might work. But until there is only ONE tour, with smaller tours under its umbrella as developmental type tours and ONE governing body to decide what that tour and its players can and can not do, I don't see it happening.
 
Bluesteel said:
All the other sports...NFL,MLB,NBA,PGA,LPGA,NASCAR,etc....all have ONE governing body, and ONE major tour, with smaller ones under their umbrella...all working to make the top ONE successful.


Here's the problem, folks. If I were a great big company, and I decided I wanted to spend money sponsoring professional pool on a national level... There's literally no one for me to give my money to... (Oh, that's right... the WPBA:D )
 
lodini said:
Here's the problem, folks. If I were a great big company, and I decided I wanted to spend money sponsoring professional pool on a national level... There's literally no one for me to give my money to... (Oh, that's right... the WPBA:D )
That may change sooner than you think (I hope!)
 
CocoboloCowboy said:
Maybe if we all dressed better, look clean cut like this guy Pool would get noticed by big sponsors.
JohnnyArcherBIO3.jpg
I very rarley disagree with you Cowboy but I think that all the pro players that the public see on TV etc dress well. Maybe at local tournaments at the bar etc they don't but the visible ones do. I agree though on the fact that it is good for the sport.
 
pooljunkie4ever said:
IMHO, Pool is lacking gambling. Yes I said Gambling. All of the big four sports
are setup where a non-participant can get involved by placing a wager on the out come. For instance, if you eliminated wagering from these sports, they would just slowly bleed to death. People love to gamble, that is a proven fact, just look at Vegas, they have all the money. Hell people go on vacations to give their money away, LOL.

The question is, can gambling be incorporated in pool like the other sports?
If you watch the color of money, you would have to say it would be impossible because there are to many dishonest players involved. The only way I see this happening is, the stacks become so big that if you are caught dumping, you will pay a heavy price. For example, the players that got caught in tennis this past year, they were suspended for a few years, banned from the sport.

I dunno why your reps are red but what you say kind of makes sense. Where there is money to be won or lost it will generate interest.

I remembered some of the biggest sponsors in cue sports were from online gambling sites and cigarette companies but i think they were ban for some reasons so i it is hard to get big sponsor anywhere else besides casinos. Would NIKE sponsor pool and come out with some pool outfits? It would be great! I would buy some!

I know there are online gambling sites that can bet on pool players like in the WPC but it is not legitimate here not sure about in the USA. Else that would be good start.

Pool is a cool sport. Commonly link to gambling, alcohol and women. Whats there not to like! we just need to get the message across.........
 
Bluesteel said:
All the other sports...NFL,MLB,NBA,PGA,LPGA,NASCAR,etc....all have ONE governing body, and ONE major tour, with smaller ones under their umbrella...all working to make the top ONE successful. If all the pool tours across the country sat down and decided to work together and have one tour, one name, with different divisions it might work. But until there is only ONE tour, with smaller tours under its umbrella as developmental type tours and ONE governing body to decide what that tour and its players can and can not do, I don't see it happening.
You've got it backwards, the governing bodies evolved BECAUSE of the popularity of the sport, not the other way around.
 
catscradle said:
You've got it backwards, the governing bodies evolved BECAUSE of the popularity of the sport, not the other way around.

So it is the chicken or the egg...without the governing body, the sport doesn't get off the ground and become anything that the both the big corporate and small mom and pop sponsors want to invest into. And just as you have stated, without the popularity, there is no need for the governing body. What I was saying was that all of the tours that are spread out all over should come together...under one name/tour. Then, the former owners of the smaller tours could run their own regions (without scheduling conflicts...or there would be no point) and would be responsible for their own region, but would be held accountable by the governing body.
 
Bluesteel said:
So it is the chicken or the egg...without the governing body, the sport doesn't get off the ground and become anything that the both the big corporate and small mom and pop sponsors want to invest into. And just as you have stated, without the popularity, there is no need for the governing body. What I was saying was that all of the tours that are spread out all over should come together...under one name/tour. Then, the former owners of the smaller tours could run their own regions (without scheduling conflicts...or there would be no point) and would be responsible for their own region, but would be held accountable by the governing body.

Good idea, good luck getting that instituted. If if the various tours agreed to have a governing body, they'd back off as soon as money to run it was asked for.
At least you've an idea, more than most have.
 
Bluesteel said:
...without the governing body, the sport doesn't get off the ground ...

I agree that one governing body is a step in the right direction. Everything would be way more organized. When I was in high school, I was on the fencing team. I was required to join the United States Fencing Association (USFA) before being allowed to fence in any of the tournaments we went to. The yearly membership was $10 at the time and the benefits included a quarterly/semi-annual (can't remember) magazine that listed event schedules and standings. Also, I'm pretty sure that the USFA keeps records for all of its members. Could you imagine how nice that would be for pool?

Vinnie
------------
Touche', Monsieur Pussycat
 
Here is the problem:

People who watch golf & tennis usually play those games. They are usually members of country clubs. They are typically professionals who drive Benzes & wear Rolexes. So corporations sponsor these sports to sell products to them that they are likely to buy.

Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Racing, etc. are big arena sports that have a broad appeal to a large number of people that don't play these games. Corporations can appeal to a large audience for all kinds of products by sponsoring thes sports.

Pool is a close-up game that requires a lot of knowledge to fully appreciate. Pool players who have this knowledge tend to hang out in pool rooms, drink, smoke cigarettes, and tend to be broke. Sponsors in the past have mostly been beers and cigarette companies (go figure.) If they can't make money sponsoring pool, who can?

When Camel sponsored pool, look what happened. Guiness just stepped up to sponsor the Asian 9-Ball Tour, and its 2 biggest stars (Efren & Bustamante) boycotted the tour. The truth is many pool pros don't respect the companies that could bring more money to the game. So they end up stuck with guys like KT.
 
Cuaba said:
Guiness just stepped up to sponsor the Asian 9-Ball Tour, and its 2 biggest stars (Efren & Bustamante) boycotted the tour. The truth is many pool pros don't respect the companies that could bring more money to the game. So they end up stuck with guys like KT.


Did they really boycott the tour?? Why? Because they didn't want to be affiliated with a beer company? Wow... I am shocked. Then again, I have been told before that pro pool players rarely cooperate with sponsors. :confused:
 
Not Exactly

lodini said:
Did they really boycott the tour?? Why? Because they didn't want to be affiliated with a beer company? Wow... I am shocked. Then again, I have been told before that pro pool players rarely cooperate with sponsors. :confused:

They have affiliations with San Miguel, the beer company in the Philippines that used to sponsor the tour. I respect their loyalty, but they should look at the big picture.
 
Cuaba said:
They have affiliations with San Miguel, the beer company in the Philippines that used to sponsor the tour. I respect their loyalty, but they should look at the big picture.

It's not even about loyalty. It's about wanting the progression of the sport you are involved in. Professional athletes over every sport have endorsement deals with companies that are not sponsors of the league they play in or the team they play on... That's the way the business goes.
 
Back
Top