why so many kicks/skids?

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose so, if you want to split that hair. But it actually helps to demonstrate that the cause of skids is not stroke related.

pj
chgo

Pretty sure it shows that skids are stroke related. You don’t get to declare it doesn’t just because you’re opposed to that viewpoint. Ever see a someone after a match setup the shot they had go bad on them? Usually they make it the second time with no pressure because they don’t screw up their stroke.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure it shows that skids are stroke related. You don’t get to declare it doesn’t just because you’re opposed to that viewpoint. Ever see a someone after a match setup the shot they had go bad on them? Usually they make it the second time with no pressure because they don’t screw up their stroke.

Or the little patch of chalk on either the OB or CB is lined up different or has been rubbed off.

I think you would lose more than a little money trying to prove skid is stroke related. The science guys proved it’s friction years and years ago. And it’s usually from chalk on the CB or perhaps it’s from you or your opponent bunting OBs around with your cue tip and depositing a dab of chalk on them. Lipstick chalk that adheres to tip (and ball) doesn’t help nor do phenolic break tips that are so hard they abrade the CB.

I think it was Ron Shepard (another super smart cookie) over 20 years ago back on RSB that suggested using a little outside on shots prone to skids (you know, those very slight cut shots) helped avoid skid. Somehow he figured that that way the spot you hit on the CB would be rotating in such a way so as to avoid the critical contact point with the OB.

Anywhos, believe what you want. Just don’t bet on this with the guy with the pocket protector.

Lou Figueroa

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think it was Ron Shepard (another super smart cookie) over 20 years ago back on RSB that suggested using a little outside on shots prone to skids (you know, those very slight cut shots) helped avoid skid. Somehow he figured that that way the spot you hit on the CB would be rotating in such a way so as to avoid the critical contact point with the OB.
Nerd Alert.jpg
Actually, it doesn't avoid the contact point - it rotates at just the right speed (if hit accurately) so the surfaces roll against each other without slippage or friction, like a tire rolling smoothly on pavement. That way it doesn't matter what's between them.

And "the stroke" isn't responsible - simply estimating the right amount of spin is.

pj
chgo

Last edited: