Williams... UPA... Rankings... What the?!?!

Cuteone

Registered
manly man

manlyshot you just live in this neat little ideal world where everything works out don't you. first of all if you read this month's article in inside pool you'll see that the invites for the bca went out in december of 2003. so your little plan about the march event is about 4 months too late. and don't forget that the upa doesn't actually do the inviting, it's the bca that does it. the upa just gives info on players and rankings. so why are you blaming the upa? I think i know the answer to that one. don't bother.

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuteone said:
manlyshot you just live in this neat little ideal world where everything works out don't you. first of all if you read this month's article in inside pool you'll see that the invites for the bca went out in december of 2003. so your little plan about the march event is about 4 months too late.

In December of 2003, the UPA ranking system was not available for public disclosure. It is still not available for public disclosure.

It is uncertain how the 32 UPA members were selected by the UPA when they provided the list to the BCA in December of 2003.

The UPA neglected to contact some of its membership by mail, by phone, or in person, members like Danny Basavich.

Many aspiring pool players gave the UPA $100 for yearly membership dues, signed a legally binding player's contract, and never heard one iota from the UPA again, until contract renewal time.

Cuteone said:
and don't forget that the upa doesn't actually do the inviting, it's the bca that does it. the upa just gives info on players and rankings. so why are you blaming the upa?

The UPA, the "governing body of men's professional pool," was granted the authority for ranking professional pool players in the United States, an organization that at that time was less than one year old.

The UPA has a duty to maintain contact with its membership, to keep its members informed of events relating to the men's professional pool organization and tournaments.

As a UPA member, Danny Basavich should have received some benefits from the UPA, such as communication. Danny Basavich's home address has not changed. Today, it is the same as it was when he originally joined the UPA.

Danny Basavich has been deprived of receiving UPA ranking points from not attending the BCA Open, and may not be eligible for next year's BCA Open and WPC because of the UPA tour consisting of six tournaments.

Danny Basavich is a sponsored pool player who donates 20 percent of his earnings to charity, worthy of recognition.

Last edited:

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Cuteone said:
the questions you pose about inviations to the bca thing were already on other threads when the upa invites and rankings were discussed. if you remember correctly this was one of the many topics that i asked the upa about personally.

So is this to change, or is it going to remain invite only but still a ranking event? I have no problem with invite only events but it's not really very fair to then allow those invited players to earn ranking points!

Cuteone said:
you say that the playing in the bca open is a goal or whatever? then compete and get in the top 32 of the upa! you can't be too determined however you can't even make a phone call to them and ask them. instead you come to forums for info on the event?

- As I said already several times I went to the UPA website - no info
- I sent an email as advised - no info
- I saw this thread (I didn't start it) and I considered my experience to be relavent and so I shared it. I did this for no other reason than in the hope that someone from or closely associated to the UPA put their hands up and say "you've had a crap experience, we hear what your saying" and provide the information I and many others have kindly asked for. Instead we get abused for not picking up the phone and calling internationally to chase information that should be freely available.

Cuteone said:
be sure to leave any msg's for nascar on here. you know, what it takes to drive, and what not. good luck.

I'm trying to think of a business that would survive by replying to a potential customer in such a way. Imagine if you sold cars and I sent you an email about the new ferrari you where selling. Would you really wait several weeks and then reply "give me a call" it seems sureal, but the UPA is a business like any other. It's just a wild guess but I would suggest that the customer wouldn't have a great first impression and quite possibly would go somewhere else.

Then when that customer shares his experience with others who have had a similar experience, you say "well you didn't really want the Ferrari if you couldn't be bothered to call"!

I thought you where doing a valiant job initially in helping out the UPA but I fear you comments are now doing more harm than good. I think most outsiders like myself will look at this thread will see simply what I see. A website, emails, many threads and hundreds of posts and still no answer to two simple questions.

A crying shame.

PS
I do not that many posts back you did say you would ask the UPA to put this information on their site. I think this would be useful to many people like myself and it will be interesting to see in a couple of weeks if this happens

Last edited:

Cuteone

Registered
quite crying...

why wouldn't the upa's ranking be available to the public back in 2003 of dec?

as far as crying about the upa, just call. grow up already.

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuteone said:

Cuetone, you are a nice lady, but I think you need to make another phone call.

In December of 2003, the UPA ranking system was in full force and effect.

This is the same ranking system that was used by the UPA administration to select the 32 highest ranked UPA members to attend the upcoming BCA Open in Las Vegas in May of 2004. Danny Basavich's name must have been included in the 32 highest ranked UPA members.

Danny Basavich was eligible to shoot in the BCA Open in Las Vegas in May of 2004.

The UPA had a large presence at the UPA sanctioned tournament at Valley Forge in March of 2004.

Danny Basavich was present at Valley Forge in March of 2004.

The UPA, according to your sources, Cuetone, told you they were unable to get a hold of Danny Basavich to let him know he was eligible to shoot in the BCA Open in Las Vegas in May of 2004.

Danny Basavich didn't shoot at the BCA Open in May of 2004, even though he was eligible.

Danny Basavich doesn't get his UPA ranking points, the ranking points needed for an aspiring pool player to shoot in next year's WPC and BCA Open in the year of 2005. :(

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Cuteone said:

as far as crying about the upa, just call. grow up already.

THE UPA - "Just Call, grow up already"

Great strapline!

LOL