women in the us open.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I though no women were ever allowed to play with the men in the u.s.open until this year,makeing it the first year ever,well i just seen where mrs.jean balukas played and finished tied for 17th 24th in 1987,and she also won the womens that year,so i dont know if iam misstaking about women just now being allowed to play with the men,or has it been that way.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I though no women were ever allowed to play with the men in the u.s.open until this year,makeing it the first year ever,well i just seen where mrs.jean balukas played and finished tied for 17th 24th in 1987,and she also won the womens that year,so i dont know if iam misstaking about women just now being allowed to play with the men,or has it been that way.

It seems when there is money involved...many men do not like playing in the same sandbox as the ladies. JMHO.

Lisa

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone answer why they said this is the first year that women can play with the men,but bulukas had played in 1987 with the men.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember their being a thread about this topic a month ago or so.... lets not start that again.

This thread is not about if you think its right or wrong for women to play in the us open,thats over and done with,i just want to know why was bulukas playing in the us open in 1987,when berman stated that this year is the first year women can play with the man,read very careful before you answer!If you have the answer?

neal916

What can brown do for you
Silver Member
I never said it was going to be about "wrong or right" it just started to seem like more debate about the word "open" .

As far as I know their was never a restriction upon gender and that anyone was allowed as long as they met the pre-req or "qualified"

As per wiki:
Jean Balukas : On August 6, 1978 Balukas became the first woman to qualify to play in the men's division of the World Open Pocket Billiards Championship; a tournament with a 100-year history. This meant that she would be competing in both the women's and men's divisions of the tournament to be held on August 12 of that year at the Biltmore Hotel located at 43rd Street and Madison Avenue in New York City

Balukas was initially entered in both the men's and women's divisions of the 1987 B.C. Classic, a nine-ball competition. After notable controversy (detailed below), she competed only on the men's side. Along the way she trounced Keith McCready 11–3 (at the time the 17th-ranked male player by money list, and who guest-starred as obnoxious hustler "Grady Seasons" in the 1986 film The Color of Money). Balukas finished in a tie for 9th place among many of the best players in the world.

Im sure you already checked wiki:rolleyes: though but this is what I know as well.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said it was going to be about "wrong or right" it just started to seem like more debate about the word "open" .

As far as I know their was never a restriction upon gender and that anyone was allowed as long as they met the pre-req or "qualified"

As per wiki:
Jean Balukas : On August 6, 1978 Balukas became the first woman to qualify to play in the men's division of the World Open Pocket Billiards Championship; a tournament with a 100-year history. This meant that she would be competing in both the women's and men's divisions of the tournament to be held on August 12 of that year at the Biltmore Hotel located at 43rd Street and Madison Avenue in New York City

Balukas was initially entered in both the men's and women's divisions of the 1987 B.C. Classic, a nine-ball competition. After notable controversy (detailed below), she competed only on the men's side. Along the way she trounced Keith McCready 11–3 (at the time the 17th-ranked male player by money list, and who guest-starred as obnoxious hustler "Grady Seasons" in the 1986 film The Color of Money). Balukas finished in a tie for 9th place among many of the best players in the world.

Im sure you already checked wiki:rolleyes: though but this is what I know as well.

Neal iam talking strictly about the us open,not other tournaments,supposely women were not allowed to play in the mens US OPEN tournament up until this year 2010,but in 1987 bulukas played in the mens us open,IAM JUST ASKING WHY WAS SHE ALLOWED TO PLAY WITH THE MEN IN THE YEAR 87.JAY CLEAR THIS UP PLEASE.

Last edited:

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member

Who stated that this was the first time EVER women were allowed into the US Open 9 Ball? Obviously this is wrong, since women were allow to play in the early years of the US 9 Ball Open. Ms. Balukas for one.

The US 9 Ball Open excluded women from play by direction of Barry Behrman the promoter in either the late 80s or early 90s when the Women's tour started.

Last year was the first time in a long time women were allowed to enter.

Is it really that important to you? Maybe you ought to call Mr. Behrman and ask him directly rather than pout about AZ posters not giving you what you want.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who stated that this was the first time EVER women were allowed into the US Open 9 Ball? Obviously this is wrong, since women were allow to play in the early years of the US 9 Ball Open. Ms. Balukas for one.

The US 9 Ball Open excluded women from play by direction of Barry Behrman the promoter in either the late 80s or early 90s when the Women's tour started.

Last year was the first time in a long time women were allowed to enter.

Is it really that important to you? Maybe you ought to call Mr. Behrman and ask him directly rather than pout about AZ posters not giving you what you want.

every one was off topic,but u thank u for the answer.if people are going to respond than atlease read and understand the thread,instead of talking about some thing else!

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Btw this statement cant be true because bulukas finished 17th with the men and won the womens the same year 1987,so what u said above is wrong!

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Richie,

You need to stop and re-read my statement.

I stated that it was the LATE 80s (that would be 1988 or 1989) or the early 90s (that would 1990 or 1991) that Mr. Berhman quit letting the women play at the US 9Ball Open.

IMO you are making way too much of these details. IMO you are the only one interested in your question.

Btw this statement cant be true because bulukas finished 17th with the men and won the womens the same year 1987,so what u said above is wrong!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone answer why they said this is the first year that women can play with the men,but bulukas had played in 1987 with the men.

She could beat the men, Barry somewhere along the way changed his mind, and it became a mens tournment. its his show his rules, its that simple, its history and call him if you want the whole story, i'm sure Barry would be glad to tell you first hand. Your asking the wrong people-ask the guy who ownes the tournment why he does what he does.

now its a open to all tournment(which I like) but there isnt any Jean B's out there, at least not yet.

Last edited:

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richie,

You need to stop and re-read my statement.

I stated that it was the LATE 80s (that would be 1988 or 1989) or the early 90s (that would 1990 or 1991) that Mr. Berhman quit letting the women play at the US 9Ball Open.

IMO you are making way too much of these details. IMO you are the only one interested in your question.

Your right tom iam wrong,sorry have a good day!

enzo

Banned
haha, there are a lot of things women should, theoretically, be as great as men at imo. pool isn't one by the way..... but if you look at something like classical music composers, or scientists..... i dont wanna type a huge long post so ill just throw out names.... bach, beethoven, mozart, einstein, newton, bohr.... the list could go on and on..... this isn't like an "i got you thing" either, there are just facts to deal with here on earth..... men just tend to be better at stuff than women, esp when considering top levels-- i wont go into why because i dont know, but i think you can say its true.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The physical strength is not an advantage in the break. Every woman on tour can break as hard as Donny Mills's soft break that got him to the semis of the us open.

I also dont believe that we are restricted to commenting on just the original post.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
haha, there are a lot of things women should, theoretically, be as great as men at imo. pool isn't one by the way..... but if you look at something like classical music composers, or scientists..... i dont wanna type a huge long post so ill just throw out names.... bach, beethoven, mozart, einstein, newton, bohr.... the list could go on and on..... this isn't like an "i got you thing" either, there are just facts to deal with here on earth..... men just tend to be better at stuff than women, esp when considering top levels-- i wont go into why because i dont know, but i think you can say its true.

Personally, I find this post to be sexist and offensive. You have no real cold, hard facts to support your claims simply because at the higher levels of play, the events are/have been, for the most part, segregated. It tends to skew the numbers.

I am not denying that in general, the men may have a slight break advantage...which can be huge when it's a winner breaks format. But beyond that, there is no advantage towards either sex. I am sure that some would say that men typically have better spacial recognition, but at that level of play, obviously that is not an issue with the women in the upper ranks.

The IPT was the first time that a major tour was fully integrated, allowing men and women to compete on a level playing field. Some of these women held their own quite nicely. Unfortunately, the tour was too short-lived to see how the women would have truly done in the long-haul.

The truth is, until we begin to regularly integrate the larger tournaments/tours/events we will never truly know what is fact and what is fantasy.

Lisa

dorabelle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tell that to Balukas or Jasmin.