Wood age?

TrxR

How old do you like your wood to be before you use it? Does having it Kiln dried speed up this process any?

Also when turning do you only turn a certain amount at a time and let it rest for a certain time in between ?

Thanks

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old wood plays better. The older the better. Searing has a 100 year old piece of tulip wood. Tad bought a load of wood BEM in the 70’s and used it up until the mid to late 90’s-I always attributed that to why his cues play so well.

Kiln dried just is not the same as time.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be more specific

Shaft wood more so than anything. I have some old shaft wood on newer shafts that are amazing. Same as old Gus shafts-wow.

The dings steam out better than kiln dried wood. Kiln dried wood the dings seem to stay. On very old wood they pop up like they never were there. A gouge where wood is removed not a chance anything can fix that.

TrxR

I should clarify my question a little I know old growth is better as it generally tighter grain. I was thinking more on how freshly cut.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
To be more specific

Shaft wood more so than anything. I have some old shaft wood on newer shafts that are amazing. Same as old Gus shafts-wow.

The dings steam out better than kiln dried wood. Kiln dried wood the dings seem to stay. On very old wood they pop up like they never were there. A gouge where wood is removed not a chance anything can fix that.
I would be shocked if Gus used air dried shaft woods .

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes how long after a tree is cut and sawed before its usable? Does having it kiln dried help. I'm talking old growth trees.
The longer the better. Kiln dried speeds things up.

Idk the answer to “how long” naturally. I can’t remember. I’m curious as well.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be shocked if Gus used air dried shaft woods .
Zero chance is my educated guess.

I know in the mid 80’s McDermott was pitching “kiln dried” like that was a good thing. It’s necessary for high production cues, not the end of the world. But imo isn’t the best of the best.

best
Fatboy😀🐸

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
The longer the better. Kiln dried speeds things up.

Idk the answer to “how long” naturally. I can’t remember. I’m curious as well.
Please stop . How much have you turned ?
Kiln dried woods are more stable . Air dried woods are not as stable .
When trees are cut , the mills let them sit a while then process them .
Stress relieve kiln drying is the best way of drying woods.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please stop . How much have you turned ?
Kiln dried woods are more stable . Air dried woods are not as stable .
When trees are cut , the mills let them sit a while then process them .
Stress relieve kiln drying is the best way of drying woods.
I’m stopping when I feel like stopping

ivve never made a spec of sawdust in my life.

I been around cue building since 86

Later
Fatboy

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Zero chance is my educated guess.

I know in the mid 80’s McDermott was pitching “kiln dried” like that was a good thing. It’s necessary for high production cues, not the end of the world. But imo isn’t the best of the best.

best
Fatboy😀🐸
Yes, it is .
When you kiln dry woods then plane them after then cut them to squares, you get much more stable wood than air dried woods that you have no clue how it's going to react when turned .

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I’m stopping when I feel like stopping

ivve never made a spec of sawdust in my life.

I been around cue building since 86

Later
Fatboy
Being around cue building is not turning and hanging woods yourself .

And there are thousands of Brunswick cues around who were air dried and look like bananas now .
Air dried woods are liable to go bananas when exposed to heat and low humidity .

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
There are Old One Piece Titlist’s that Cuemakers convert. I have two, love one more then the other. But both play well, if I am playing well. Because of the slight difference is balance, it feels like it weights nothing.🤔

The one I prefer the most is same weight as other, but in my hand the BALANCE is oh so perfect.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Well you must think Titlistsvare new wood.🤔

Too bad Tate is not here to educate you.🤩
THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS were made.
They were very fat.
THOUSANDS ended up in the trash can after chopping and turning.
A lot more would have been saved if they were kilned.
I've cut a few of them . I've refused to work on a few of them that were sent here .
I've finished three of them . And have one in the making and one chopped to short splice .

Last edited: