wood fro ferrule

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what are ya'lls fealings about replacing an existing ferrule with a hard maple ferrule or some other wood. would you or wouldn't you and why?

if you would, would you cut it with the grain or against?

thank you in advance for all feedback and input.

Last edited:

dave sutton

Banned
interesting topic. i built a shaft with no ferrule once and hated it so im not a good person to ask. but id like to hear some answers. i dont think i could play with say a rosewood or pph ferrule. looks wise. also adding weight so you may aswell use a reg ferrule if LD is what your going for. wood splits with the grain so id imagine youd want stacked type like ob1. i can see it spliting on a firm shot. maybe maybe nob

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Here is the picture from 2 shafts from a Kikel I owned until a couple months ago. Maple ferrules with Moori medium tips that I've installed. Cue played am up. Dave Gross, owns it now.

100_1837.jpg

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
were all different

that's what makes the world go round, as dave said, he tried the no ferrule and did not like i. i tried the no ferrule and i love it.
i do not see what what advantage you would get by putting a wood ferrule on a wood shaft.
i have yet to have a problem just using the pad and tip, BUT i have only been doing this about a year.
if someone comes up with a wood ferrule that they think might be an improvement, put my name on the list, as i will try just about anything once.
chuck

dave sutton

Banned
i know chuck you are who i instantly thought of when i read this thread...lol i remember u loved it

toni that maple actually doesnt look bad at all

maybe make the ferrule coat or soak in epovy or wood hardner for strength then install. might be ok

Last edited:

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that's what makes the world go round, as dave said, he tried the no ferrule and did not like i. i tried the no ferrule and i love it.
i do not see what what advantage you would get by putting a wood ferrule on a wood shaft.
i have yet to have a problem just using the pad and tip, BUT i have only been doing this about a year.
if someone comes up with a wood ferrule that they think might be an improvement, put my name on the list, as i will try just about anything once.
chuck

the advantage a wood ferrule would provide over a conventional plastic/composite would be to reduce the frnt end weight hence reducing deflection.

the reasoning for using a wood ferrule as opposed to making the shaft ferruless would be for shafts already made with ferrules allready existing on them.

the shaft i'm looking at is an old predot meucci shaft.. the ferrule has been replaced acouple times over the last 20 odd some years so the tennon is alittle thinner than its orriginal size which translates to a thicker side wall ferrule, ie heavier. the current ferrule is 1.25" long abs. it has a very glossy shine to it that glares and reflects and i find distracting so i was wanting to replace it and was weighing my options with a notion of reducing its deflection properties without replacing the whole shaft.

thanks for all the input so far. keep it coming.

Last edited:

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the picture from 2 shafts from a Kikel I owned until a couple months ago. Maple ferrules with Moori medium tips that I've installed. Cue played am up. Dave Gross, owns it now.

100_1837.jpg

thse look great. where they cut with or against the grain?

RocketQ

It's Not Rocket Science
Silver Member
Wood ferrule.

Here is something I have used and sell. Ugly color but lightweight and plays pretty sporty.

lam_ferrule.jpg

dave sutton

Banned
grain looks like its up and down. also looks sealed with something. maybe superglue or epoxy. i would almost deff do that

toni did u do them capped or uncapped. capped prob stronger jmo

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Here is something I have used and sell. Ugly color but lightweight and plays pretty sporty.

lam_ferrule.jpg

I can personally vouch for John's ferrules. They're the nuts.
I put one on my previous player to use as a test mule.
I couldn't believe the reduction in deflection. Thinking I might be bias, I took it to Seybert's and let both Sid and Rick hit some with it.
They both agreed that my 13mm 1pc. shaft was playing next to a Z.

Arnot Wadsworth

Senior Cuemaker
Silver Member
what are ya'lls fealings about replacing an existing ferrule with a hard maple ferrule or some other wood. would you or wouldn't you and why?

if you would, would you cut it with the grain or against?

thank you in advance for all feedback and input.

The purpose of a ferrule is to protect the shaft from impact by distributing the force. The first rule is that the material be stronger than the shaft wood. The next rule generally accepted is that look white-ish.

I know that there are exceptions to the above but I think these rules work pretty well for the player and the shaft.

If you use a layered tip and don't let the tip get down too far you could get away with using wood but I don't think the advantages (if any) would be worth the effort.

Good Question.