Wood identification in Scruggs/FS

cuennoisseur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Fellow OCBD-sufferers,

I hope theres someone around in this knowledgeable forum who might be able to give me some advise. I have a plain sixpoint Scruggs on ebay for sale but I'm not really sure about the wood used in butt and points. The WOW chart let me think it is madagascar rosewood, but pictures of several other cues I saw for sale at other sites let me tend to think it's kingwood.
scruggsButtcomplete.jpg

Please let me know what you think (expected price is around 1200USD).
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tim-Scruggs-6-p...192146227QQcategoryZ21212QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks

Dirk

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
Looks like cocobolo to me. Does not appear to be purple enough for kingwood. I would say it's definitely is not Mad. rosewood. That stuff is dark, dark, almost black, with purplish hues and tighter grain. It looks more like black ebony. Cocobolo is a wood with a lot of variance in it, from orange, to red, to dark brown, but it will most always have that kind of streaky grain.

Sean

SphinxnihpS

Banned
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kingwood and Cocobolo are nearly identical. They are both from the same genus of trees. One could probably be sold Kingwood for Cocobolo, and vice versa. Unless you cut down both trees yourself, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. For this reason, Tim Scruggs may not even know which is in that cue.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
cueaddicts said:
Looks like cocobolo to me. Does not appear to be purple enough for kingwood. I would say it's definitely is not Mad. rosewood. That stuff is dark, dark, almost black, with purplish hues and tighter grain. It looks more like black ebony. Cocobolo is a wood with a lot of variance in it, from orange, to red, to dark brown, but it will most always have that kind of streaky grain.

Sean

I have to agree with Sean here. I too think it appears to be cocobolo. As to madagascar rosewood being almost black...it doesn't have to be. If you go to classiccues.com, there is a Fanelli 4 point cue there that is made of Bois de Rose, a variety of madagascar rosewood, which is not almost black at all, but a beautiful burgundy color. It is this coloring (or slightly lighter) of madagascar/Bois de Rose that I am hoping for in my new cue from Skip.

Lisa

cuennoisseur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thanks for your input

Hi Fellows,

thank you for the info provided. I sent a mail to Tim (after Bruin's post) but haven't received any info, yet - guess it'll take some more time as Tim seems to be quite busy with (AZ'ers?) orders.
My first impression, too was that it could be cocobolo but I have a coco cue also and although the texture is similar theres a big difference in the darkness of the color.
Besides the wood question, do you think a price of 1100USD is reasonable and fair in the market situation like this? As mentioned in the ad the ivory ferruled shafts alone cost me nearly 700USD.
Thanks and greetings

Dirk

@ Lisa: hope you're going to enjoy your new creation quite soon ;-)

TheFish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you can get 1100 for that. It looks like a beautiful cue, however, the design is very similar to a Sneaky pete with a custom leather handle.

WHen i first saw that i was interested, but not at 1XXX. Personally, I would like that cue, but i think 800 or so would be my limit. Of course, i am definitely no expert, so for all i know you might get way more than that.:) but it is veyr nice indeed

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
354   0   0
Its kingwood. Very nice wood BTW.

Martin

cuennoisseur said:
Fellow OCBD-sufferers,

I hope theres someone around in this knowledgeable forum who might be able to give me some advise. I have a plain sixpoint Scruggs on ebay for sale but I'm not really sure about the wood used in butt and points. The WOW chart let me think it is madagascar rosewood, but pictures of several other cues I saw for sale at other sites let me tend to think it's kingwood.
scruggsButtcomplete.jpg

Please let me know what you think (expected price is around 1200USD).
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tim-Scruggs-6-p...192146227QQcategoryZ21212QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks

Dirk

cuennoisseur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
How the h... were you able spot that???

Hi Martin,
you are right! Just now I got a mail from Mike at Tim's shop that confirms its kingwood (d.o.b. early 90's). New price would be far more than I thought, so I'm not unhappy if the auction ends below my reserve ;-)
Thanks again to all of you for your input.
Dirk

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
cuennoisseur said:
Hi Martin,
you are right! Just now I got a mail from Mike at Tim's shop that confirms its kingwood (d.o.b. early 90's). New price would be far more than I thought, so I'm not unhappy if the auction ends below my reserve ;-)
Thanks again to all of you for your input.
Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Yeah, I hope to have my cue within the next few months, I can hardly wait.

I know that Tim's new pricing on a cue like this would start @ 1900.00. I recently saw a used one for sale for 1350.00...so I do not think that your 1100.00 is out of line. Keeping in mind that Tim, himself, will likely cease building cues by 2006 on the outside...according to the rumour-mill.

Lisa