Wood pins

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me clarify my statement, I think the picture does show what appears to be a typical 60 degree V thread, but it is not a common size. Standard sizes are generally either 1/2-13 or 1/2-20. A 1/2-10 would likely be listed as a Special thread in a Machinists handbook. There are at least taps available for that size but not typically found in general hardware or automotive supply houses. Since there are taps, I would assume dies are available as well, but like someone above said, better to single point that in wood.
I understood just fine. Scratchy said do it on a lathe. I'm a huge fan of tap an dies but good luck trying to do that with a split die in wood never mind the non split die that was shown.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike. I’ll look him up.
I was faced with your situation once. I called a Cue maker who made carom cues. He had these available for repairs.

Attachments

• IMG_200122_092806.jpg
    IMG_200122_092806.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 100

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Let me clarify my statement, I think the picture does show what appears to be a typical 60 degree V thread, but it is not a common size. Standard sizes are generally either 1/2-13 or 1/2-20. A 1/2-10 would likely be listed as a Special thread in a Machinists handbook. There are at least taps available for that size but not typically found in general hardware or automotive supply houses. Since there are taps, I would assume dies are available as well, but like someone above said, better to single point that in wood.
For general interest 1/2-10 is the standard size for general purpose ACME thread (as opposed to UNC and UNF that you mentioned)

Dave

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For general interest 1/2-10 is the standard size for general purpose ACME thread (as opposed to UNC and UNF that you mentioned)

Dave
That is probably why I said that in post 14 in this thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Biloxi69

Registered
Spoke to an experienced wood in cue maker and mention most of the European wood pins are in metric. When I measured a few pins it came up .485 inch.
Post some pictures please.
Well, I think PH wood is too brittle to turn with a die because it shreds quite a bit. Starting with .485” and ended with .425” diameter. I’ll have try a softer wood or maybe a synthetic material that can be easily turn with a die. The experiment continues.

Attachments

• 2F95F2FA-FE90-4F88-AF81-55252A4D3EE0.jpeg
    2F95F2FA-FE90-4F88-AF81-55252A4D3EE0.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 69

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spoke to an experienced wood in cue maker and mention most of the European wood pins are in metric. When I measured a few pins it came up .485 inch.

Well, I think PH wood is too brittle to turn with a die because it shreds quite a bit. Starting with .485” and ended with .425” diameter. I’ll have try a softer wood or maybe a synthetic material that can be easily turn with a die. The experiment continues.
I figured that but didn't want to discourage you from trying.
Those hex dies have thier moments but split dies are way better. You would still have the same results with the split die. Phenolic on the other hand would get you there but a split die would still be better if you can't live thread.

Biloxi69

Registered
Those hex dies have thier moments but split dies are way better. You would still have the same results with the split die. Phenolic on the other hand would get you there but a split die would still be better if you can't live thread.
Actually I was using a split die but I didn’t loosen or removed the screw that tighten the split. Would that make a difference? Also was wondering if G10 can be threaded with a die without falling apart. Thanks.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually I was using a split die but I didn’t loosen or removed the screw that tighten the split. Would that make a difference? Also was wondering if G10 can be threaded with a die without falling apart. Thanks.
Reverse your thought. Tighten the screw so it doesn't bite as much. Then loosen as you go. I've never tried G10. Mainly phenolic and brass

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is because hex dies are not made for threading, at least from scratch anyway. They are final size which is good, but it's too big a bite generally to cut clean, especially in wood. You can use a split die opened up to cut oversize and cut the rough threads with it and then use a hex die to make a final sizing/finish pass for somewhat better results, but still it is wood. Hex dies are generally used for touching up existing threads that have been damaged.

Biloxi69

Registered
I’m gonna try it on phenolic when I get my hand on. I am using a split die by way but did not loosen the screw. I’ll remove the screw new time.
Thanks for the input.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is because hex dies are not made for threading, at least from scratch anyway. They are final size which is good, but it's too big a bite generally to cut clean, especially in wood. You can use a split die opened up to cut oversize and cut the rough threads with it and then use a hex die to make a final sizing/finish pass for somewhat better results, but still it is wood. Hex dies are generally used for touching up existing threads that have been damaged.
Just my opinion. If it's not a split die. It sucks.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m gonna try it on phenolic when I get my hand on. I am using a split die by way but did not loosen the screw. I’ll remove the screw new time.
Thanks for the input.
Don't remove the screw!
Split die equals adjustable. Tighten the screw and it will open the die. Then loosen it a little for the next pass and so on.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would make it much easier. Would that be Ron? I tried to call Chuck Starkey but his number is not working. Thanks
Phi
Through problems not mine, I had to change phone and phone numbers.
My new phone number is 417 322 4036, I have equipment to help with repair.
Call any afternoon