World 10-Ball Championships, Feb-Mar 2024, Las Vegas, The Rio

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oi has to be the best player in the modern era to never win a major (although maybe you could count the Japan Open 10-Ball he won?).

This was all I could find on the event, and the only names I recognize besides Oi are Lining, Alcano and Zielinski.

I don't know if there's an exact definition of a major these days, but I'd say it should meet these requirements

1. Total prize money $100k+
2. At least 5 of the top 10 (or 15) in FR

1709496144420.png

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was all I could find on the event, and the only names I recognize besides Oi are Lining, Alcano and Zielinski.

I don't know if there's an exact definition of a major these days, but I'd say it should meet these requirements

1. Total prize money $100k+
2. At least 5 of the top 10 (or 15) in FR

View attachment 746653

li wen is/was a top player, akagariyama is a world champion. what was the prize money?

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Japan Open is smaller less prestigious event than All Japan. All Japan was a major in previous decades and featuring many big names good prizemoney but in recent years, the field is much weaker with reduced prizemoney and is more a ranking event not a major. Even then Oi has not won All Japan.

Yes Oi is high in shortlist of those who have not won major yet.
If we consider majors as W9B, W8B,W10B, Matchroom major opens (US, UK etc) and exclude invitationals like World Cup of Pool, Big Foot and exclude team events like WCP. Then for the FR top 40 (excluding less active players like Liu Haitao, Mark Gray) , IMHO this is shortlist of those who have not won a major and are due to win one. (taking into account how long they have been playing and slogging in international 9B/10B events, not how likely they are to win one :LOL:)
1st in line (not in order)
Naoyuki Oi
Skyler Woodward
Johann Chua
Mario He
Lee Van Corteza
Max Lechner

2nd in line (not in order)
Anton Raga
Aloysius Yapp
Wiktor Zielinski
Kun Lin Wu
Sanjin Pehlivanovic
Roland Garcia
Alex Kazakis
James Aranas

Lee Van Corteza has already won a major imo! He has won China Open, Japan Open, Philippine Championships, Derby City and many more titles.

DaWizard

Probably wont happen, but I would like to see Matchroom adopt the set format for one or two majors.

Mostly I think it gives a couple exciting moments during the match (Will he win the set or not?). In a race to X the excitement kind of flows away when a player gets a solid gap.

Was there any notable negative to the set format?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably wont happen, but I would like to see Matchroom adopt the set format for one or two majors.

Mostly I think it gives a couple exciting moments during the match (Will he win the set or not?). In a race to X the excitement kind of flows away when a player gets a solid gap.

not against the set format, the issue has always been the shootout. you have to look hard to find a pro player that appreciate the shootout

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Much better now since they went to a full third set until the score reaches 3-3 before there is a shootout. IMO they fixed the problem of playing shootout after each player wins one set. That was a horrible format.

If the first two sets each go 4-3 and the third set goes 3-3, the players have now played 20 games of Ten Ball. That's a good match imo. At that point the shootout has value as opposed to a single game to decide the winner.

I wonder how many ten balls were made on the break in the entire tournament. I'm betting on five or less, possibly only two or three. I still contend it should count as a win since it's so rarely done. And please God bring back the two way shot. In other words play Texas Express Ten Ball. That makes the game far more interesting. With this level of player you may see only one ball lucked in during an entire match. Or none!

DaWizard

not against the set format, the issue has always been the shootout. you have to look hard to find a pro player that appreciate the shootout
True, but sets are still a bit frowned upon as well. Length of play was a question, but the matches have not been ridiculously long.
Also: one player winning more racks, but losing on sets. Not sure if that happened, but it wasnt anywhere mentioned.

I haven't watched it all, but tried to see if we see some "set dynamics". E.g. When 3-0 behind the shot choice gets more risky because it feels like the set is lost anyway.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
True, but sets are still a bit frowned upon as well. Length of play was a question, but the matches have not been ridiculously long.
Also: one player winning more racks, but losing on sets. Not sure if that happened, but it wasnt anywhere mentioned.

I haven't watched it all, but tried to see if we see some "set dynamics". E.g. When 3-0 behind the shot choice gets more risky because it feels like the set is lost anyway.
3-0 is not an insurmountable lead by any means. There were sets won after being down 3-0. How many I don't know. As far as the set scores go, the only comparison I have is in Tennis. A player can lose a match 6-0, 6-7, 6-7! The losing player has won 18 games and the winning player has won 14. It's all about who handles the pressure the best, and that's what you have in 6-6 matches that go to the Tiebreaker format.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate the shoot-out format but is you look at the results the players expected to get to the end got to the end. No "who the hell is that guy" in the entire bunch. It probably doesn't matter what the format is the cream always rises to the top.

DaWizard

3-0 is not an insurmountable lead by any means. There were sets won after being down 3-0. How many I don't know. As far as the set scores go, the only comparison I have is in Tennis. A player can lose a match 6-0, 6-7, 6-7! The losing player has won 18 games and the winning player has won 14. It's all about who handles the pressure the best, and that's what you have in 6-6 matches that go to the Tiebreaker format.
True true, bigger leads have been squandered. Yet it might be of influence in shot choice or mentally.
In general I wonder to which extent there have been "set dynamics", or do you think it doesnt influence the dynamic in any significant wat?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The world championship for 10B should not have any matches settled by resorting to spot shots, mighty X, wagon wheel, cueing into a beer bottle, or any other half-relevant skill-based practice drills. Settle it by actually playing 10-ball.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
18 10-balls were made on the break in the 23 Table 1 and Table 2 streamed matches, about 5% of the breaks.
Thanks for the stat. I noticed the large frequency as well. With that particular rack (no template), the 10 ball had the tendency to drift toward one of the lower corner pockets. There were probably nearly that many 10 balls that were combo-ed in, which given typical rules would have resulted in early games.

The combination of the unpredictability of the non-template rack (which created many clusters) and the no-early-10-ball rule resulted in many games that placed a premium on moving/safety/tactics. I personally found it more enjoyable to watch than pure runout pool, which can get a bit tedious.

DaWizard

Yes lots of interesting situations and advanced shots! The highlight video will be cool.

I recall a 2 rail kick, carom of a ball in the side by Fedor against Biado.