World 10-Ball coming to the USA...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem to be obsessed with trashing Qatar.
One of my best friends(now deceased, RIP brother) used to work for one of the largest submersible down-hole pump cos. in the world. He traveled to the mid-east quite often and so i was kept pretty up-2-date on that part of the world. He consistently said that QATAR was THE biggest -insert expletive of choice- of all the places he went. Why the WPA chooses to go there is pretty obvious, they offered the most money. I wouldn't go there if every member of AZB paid me to go. As far as desert pool goes i'm takin bikinis over burkas ANYTIME. Viva Las Vegas! The Open and now this. GREAT news for U.S. pool fans.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Let's hope Appleton's WPS continues. While it was all 8-Ball in its first year (2017), they tried 8-, 9-, and 10-Ball this year, and have decided on 10-Ball for the Grand Final event coming up in 4 weeks.
I hope it does too. The more tournaments the better, but I think the fact that all of the WPS tournaments have been in NYC hurts their attendance (by players) due to the expense.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... the fact that all of the WPS tournaments have been in NYC hurts their attendance (by players) due to the expense. ...

Event #7 (4 months ago) was in Bucharest, Romania -- 8-Ball, 47 entrants, Melling 1st, Shaw 2nd. Now back to NYC for event #8.

Avathar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my best friends(now deceased, RIP brother) used to work for one of the largest submersible down-hole pump cos. in the world. He traveled to the mid-east quite often and so i was kept pretty up-2-date on that part of the world. He consistently said that QATAR was THE biggest -insert expletive of choice- of all the places he went. Why the WPA chooses to go there is pretty obvious, they offered the most money. I wouldn't go there if every member of AZB paid me to go. As far as desert pool goes i'm takin bikinis over burkas ANYTIME. Viva Las Vegas! The Open and now this. GREAT news for U.S. pool fans.

Well, first off, I prefer Vegas over Qatar (though I am not a fan of that place either) ... So great news!

Regarding your opinion on Qatar ...
I worked there a bunch of times and got around quite a bit, also was in touch with some of the locals. Qatar is boring, that is true (except you like watching building sites, fast cars and modern architecture), though the museum of islamic art is more than worth while and the bazar a must see, too.
If you look, you will see women in Burka together with those without, modern clothing and traditional attire, it is one of the safest places in the world (according to statistics) and I honestly felt safer walking to the restaurant in some back street there, than leaving the Vegas Strip on a Saturday night on foot.
I hear from Israelian friends (Professor at Technion) that there is an issue with being jewish in Qatar, which is a shame, as all other Religions seem to be more than welcome (of course also to bring in more tourists, as anywhere else in the world).

I totally disapprove the close to slave labor held foreign work policies which hit the construction workers (like having to turn in their passports with their employers) of course.

However, womens rights are way more liberal than in most Arabian countries, like your presidents friends in KSA i.e....
One of my Indian friends who worked in Qatar on a project for 10 weeks had to send his daughter and wife home to their family in India for the time being, as they were not allowed to stay alone back home in Riyadh (could have stayed, but not leave the ouse without a man at their side)! Stuff like that does not happen in Qatar. If you like beer, wine or booze however, you better choose the right hotel or your are screwed ;)

I will not even go to the discussions about the supporting terror accusations KSA spread and uses as a reason for their blockade. Just think, if they were really that much worse than anyone, would you still keep your military bases there instead of moving a few miles north to your allies' soil?
Enough politics from my side, sorry for that ...

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the pool podcast (formerly American Billiard Radio), someone from Predator, the main sponsor of this event, said the video would be free. Probably Facebook or YouTube streaming.

He also said 2019 would see new Predator butts and shafts.