Worst case od slow-playing

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the early 2000's Jimmy Wetch was playing Dick Lane in a bar table 9 ball tournament at Shooters in Olathe, KS. I put a sweat bet on Jimmy "the kid" and Dick was killing him. If you never seen Dick play, he was extremely slow but great shooter. I couldn't stand there and had to try something to help my wager, so I told one of Jimmy's running mates that there was a shot clock. He told Jimmy and he called over the TD. They put Dick on the clock. Well, all it did was make Dick beat Jimmy faster :)

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Back in the early 2000's Jimmy Wetch was playing Dick Lane in a bar table 9 ball tournament at Shooters in Olathe, KS. I put a sweat bet on Jimmy "the kid" and Dick was killing him. If you never seen Dick play, he was extremely slow but great shooter. I couldn't stand there and had to try something to help my wager, so I told one of Jimmy's running mates that there was a shot clock. He told Jimmy and he called over the TD. They put Dick on the clock. Well, all it did was make Dick beat Jimmy faster :)

Dick Lane was one helluva player. No doubt about it. Probably *still* plays well but he has to be in his late 70, early 80s now.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great!

I'm not a slow player, but probably not the fastest. Being older and
having tremors.. I just have to take a little more time, unless I have a
few beers (which I try to limit to a couple).

A while back, playing in a tourney, I run into a young man. After a few
shots he starts in, telling me I'm slow playing him and stalling trying to
shark him. I wasn't! He got me fired up... and to those of you out there
who have the fun of essential tremors know, that just exacerbates them.
So being on tilt.. he bounced me easily to the losers side.

I settled down, had a beer or two, and worked my way through to meet
him in the final. I can't remember what it was, I think races to 5. I had
to win 2 races. From what I remember ( I kind of went into the zone) he
had 2 shots at a ball, one of which was a 9 I rattled in the pocket. I won
5-1, 5-0....

It was a sweet revenge.

td

Great! Paybacks can be a biatch!

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Dick Lane was one helluva player. No doubt about it. Probably *still* plays well but he has to be in his late 70, early 80s now.

I forgive any time that Dick Lane spent over the ball.
...he had a bad tremor and he had to shoot between shakes.
....some people have said he might’ve ran more hundreds than Mosconi.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"If he wants to play for $5,000 he can play as slow as he wants, but this is ridiculous for a tournament." -Teddy G on Arturo Rivera

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I forgive any time that Dick Lane spent over the ball.
...he had a bad tremor and he had to shoot between shakes.
....some people have said he might’ve ran more hundreds than Mosconi.

I've heard a lot of scary stuff about him over the years. Consensus? MONSTER player.