"Wrong" Side Opening Break

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Just watched a clip posted here a few years ago of Cisero Murphy playing Wimpy for the world championship and noticed Cisero, although right handed, played his opening breaks off the left side of the rack. If I recall correctly, 2010 World Champion Stefan Cohen, a right-handed player, also played the opening break off the left side of the rack. This sticks out to me because although I shoot right-handed, I too play the opening break on the left side of the rack. I play it that way because I believe that's the way I learned 31 years ago. Are there any others out there who are backwards like me?

Ron F

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I Play the safe off the left side of the rack, me being right handed.

I feel I sight the shot better, and hit it with better control !!

Maybe it has something to do with your dominant eye lining up with the edge of the object ball you attempt to hit !!

Steve

Last edited:

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
All these years of playing with you and I never noticed you broke from the other side. Guess I pay a lot of attention to your breaks.

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
I have always broken from the right side as a right-handed player. But when I get home, I am going to try the opposite side.

Carl

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Left Side Break

I have always broken from the right side as a right-handed player. But when I get home, I am going to try the opposite side.

Carl

Let me know what you think. I'd say it's going to be uncomfortable since you
re used to breaking off the right side.

Ron F

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
Ron,

We played twice last night and I broke both games, so again I never noticed. Next time we play let's make it a point that you break the first game.

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Hmmm

Ron,

We played twice last night and I broke both games, so again I never noticed. Next time we play let's make it a point that you break the first game.

Sounds like a shifty attempt to gain an edge. Know what? I never see you fire break shots in when the cue is frozen to the head rail. Could you do that a few times next time we play so I can see what it looks like? :grin:
No problem. I'll lead off with one of my infamous dyslexic breaks.