WTB cue lathe, recommendations welcomed

JayBates

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What lathe do you think has the best bang for the buck regarding cue building? Not looking for a setup to do volume work but rather something that will be a long term return on investment for me to do side jobs with. My main career won't be replaced.

Nobody (that I know of) within an hour of me has a lathe to repair/build cues so I think I'm going to go down the rabbit hole once again. In 2005-2009-ish, until the economy tanked, I had a 7x10 mini metal lathe that I used for tips, ferrules, and joint protectors. Since then, I've built a woodworking business and have a 4'x10' Avid CNC. I have 6-1/2" of clearance (up to 8-1/2") between the CNC spoilboard and gantry so, depending on the lathe, I will use the CNC for tapering and inlay work.

If the size of the lathe doesn't allow for CNC tapering, I'll get a tapering setup for the lathe. Other than that, I don't see myself doing any one piece cues and have zero interest in doing wraps of any kind.

Any recommendations on a full setup to start from scratch?

Or just get a floor-model metal lathe with a large bore?

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Mid America Cue Lathes or Cue Smith seem to be the dominant players.

I have a 70" bed from Cue Smith with all Mid America tooling and just bought a Cue Smith tapering setup. Highly recommend the 3/4hp upgrade and pass through headstock and steady rests.

dendweller

What lathe do you think has the best bang for the buck regarding cue building? Not looking for a setup to do volume work but rather something that will be a long term return on investment for me to do side jobs with. My main career won't be replaced.

Nobody (that I know of) within an hour of me has a lathe to repair/build cues so I think I'm going to go down the rabbit hole once again. In 2005-2009-ish, until the economy tanked, I had a 7x10 mini metal lathe that I used for tips, ferrules, and joint protectors. Since then, I've built a woodworking business and have a 4'x10' Avid CNC. I have 6-1/2" of clearance (up to 8-1/2") between the CNC spoilboard and gantry so, depending on the lathe, I will use the CNC for tapering and inlay work.

If the size of the lathe doesn't allow for CNC tapering, I'll get a tapering setup for the lathe. Other than that, I don't see myself doing any one piece cues and have zero interest in doing wraps of any kind.

Any recommendations on a full setup to start from scratch?

Or just get a floor-model metal lathe with a large bore?
Some put one up last night you might want to check out.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
You have your cnc for any of that work.
If you have the floor room and capabilities , 36 or 40" bed metal lathe and put a good DRO on it.
You will thank yourself in the long run. Resell value is much better also...imo.
With your cnc and and that lathe you can do almost anything in the cue building world you want.
The only thing missing is a good mill. ;)

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Not at all. I've always wanted to learn how to program and run a CNC machine but never had the time. Now that I've retired, I'm considering replacing my current lathe with a CNC. I have no need for both. Simply a desire to further a hobby.

JayBates

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in central Mississippi

Where are you located. I have a Cue Smith deluxe that will be up for sale soon.

I'm in Boise, ID
How much are you asking for it? Text my google voice number with a price and timeline on getting rid of it if you don't mind. 662-634-0576
I may also have a full setup with tons of accessories up for sale soon

I'm in Chicago
Please text me as well with prices and what you have available.

Thank you all for the help.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in central Mississippi

How much are you asking for it? Text my google voice number with a price and timeline on getting rid of it if you don't mind. 662-634-0576

Please text me as well with prices and what you have available.

Thank you all for the help.

Give me a week. I'm still getting things together, selling everything as a package - lathe, extra tools, some wood, etc.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
IMG_3486 small.jpg

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I'm a long time subscriber to Jay's YouTube channel and really enjoy learning and picking up ideas as I tinker around in my wood shop. I was a subscriber long before I knew he was a pool player and that he's an AZB forum member. I believe if he decides to build cues he will do a great job.

Here's a recent part 1 video of him building his daughter a work bench.

Last edited:

Busbee Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not at all. I've always wanted to learn how to program and run a CNC machine but never had the time. Now that I've retired, I'm considering replacing my current lathe with a CNC. I have no need for both. Simply a desire to further a hobby.
I went with a CueMonster cnc a year ago but kept my Cuesmith Deluxe and Mid American cnc taper setup and use everyone of them quite often. I was going to sell the others but glad that I kept them all. It is nice to not have to re-setup the CueMonster for every different job all the time plus the Mid American cnc setup is great for a lot of the rough work to save on the main machine. I also have a milling machine but it is not cnc but it is very handy to have also. But the downside is I am running out of room for things!

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you plan to use the cnc for tapering, why not just add a fourth axis and do it all?

This makes the most sense for doing it on router.
My set up on a planer is all manual, (well, auto feeds); but it is analogous to what you plan to do. Putting an actual 4th on yours would open up any method of inlay, etc.

2 different versions on my planer, for tapering shafts and butts.
First one was for roughing cones from squares. Uses a Hardinge dividing head. I just added a pulley.

DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG

Changed that for a cheap Hardinge indexer that came in an auction box-lot with a busted casting & missing lever closer. Modified it as necessary, and use a screw collar for collet operation.
This set up uses a tracer, designed like the wood working machine, a linear profiler. The whole carrier pivots at one end. profiles are clamped on the left side, and follow a tracer bump on the planer column to profile the butt or shaft.

DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0013.JPGDSC_0010.JPG

Then do what Dave B suggested, and get a real metal lathe somewhere between 10" & 14" dia, 36" to 40" (or more) between centers, with a big bore. :)

smt

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
You have your cnc for any of that work.
If you have the floor room and capabilities , 36 or 40" bed metal lathe and put a good DRO on it.
You will thank yourself in the long run. Resell value is much better also...imo.
With your cnc and and that lathe you can do almost anything in the cue building world you want.
The only thing missing is a good mill. ;)
A cue smith lathe sitting on a work bench has virtually the same footprint as a metal lathe sitting on the floor it just doesn't extend to the floor. So in reality a metal lathe doesn't require any more space.

Look at tg_vegas photo in the thread above and envision a metal lathe in the same space. The cue smith is larger actually.