WTB: Sailor cue.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Their look has really grown on me, and my recent interest in straight pool has increased my desire for one, after reading about the man. Please pm, or email leto1776@yahoo.com with pics and specs.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back at it. Already in discussion to purchase one after the holidays, but looking for more. I have a plain Jane Sailor, would like to get my hands on a fancier one.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI. I used to see Frank fairly often when I lived in Chicago. I did finally take a lesson from him at his shop in Racine. The place was covered in memorabilia and he had a nine foot table in there along with his shop in the back. As I pulled out a couple cues Frank made himself comfortable and I started shouting bslls. Two hours went by without a word between us. Finally he kind of coughed and stood up and looked at me and in a raspy gruff voice he said and I quote . “”You ought to play with a 59 inch cue lessons over.” Well I took him at his word and got a 59” cue. Got a ball or two better overnight. Great old school player. No nonchalonting at the table was his mantra. BTW his early cues were 57 -58 inches and most of his later cues were 59 but not all.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI. I used to see Frank fairly often when I lived in Chicago. I did finally take a lesson from him at his shop in Racine. The place was covered in memorabilia and he had a nine foot table in there along with his shop in the back. As I pulled out a couple cues Frank made himself comfortable and I started shouting bslls. Two hours went by without a word between us. Finally he kind of coughed and stood up and looked at me and in a raspy gruff voice he said and I quote . “”You ought to play with a 59 inch cue lessons over.” Well I took him at his word and got a 59” cue. Got a ball or two better overnight. Great old school player. No nonchalonting at the table was his mantra. BTW his early cues were 57 -58 inches and most of his later cues were 59 but not all.
Thanks for the story. He sounds like quite a character.

Any idea on the source of his flared butt caps? Did he make them himself?

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the story. He sounds like quite a character.

Any idea on the source of his flared butt caps? Did he make them himself?
Yes he did. He also mentored Perry Weston and Perry also had flared butts on his cues. Frank was not pleased about that saying Perry had not asked his permission to do so. The reality is Frank had no patent or copyright on the flared butt so there was nothing he could do.

Frank was old school and in his day a handshake was the official contract so the bad feeling about it were more about Frank seeing it one way while Perry probably thought he was paying homage to Frank…

Anyway both men have passed on so RIP to them both..

Last edited: