X-Breaker, Gulyassy, Varney J/B comparison

Snorks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately I don’t exactly have a monster break and consequently I have been looking for the best break cue to improve this part of my game. This has lead me down the road of purchasing and trying three top of the line break cues over the past 24 months. Given this experience I thought I would pass along some of my findings.

I started with the X-Breaker (original), and when it developed a problem, got the X-Breaker 2nd Generation made by Samsura. I played with this break cue from July to March 07. Given this period of time, many local players have also given it a shot at the pool hall. In general, the cue came with three weight bolts that I could insert at will. After experimenting with the weights, I liked the cue with no weight bolts.

After using this cue, I can say that it by far the best jump cue that I own. For whatever reason, when I need to jump, I break the cue down and jumping is a complete breeze. For that I love the X-Breaker. In terms of breaking, I find the X-Breaker to be good. The balls spread well. The problem for me is that I can’t seem to drop a ball consistently enough. At the level of my opponents, if I give them a wide open table, there is a good chance I am being run out if something doesn’t drop. Spreads are great, but balls drop 30-40% of the time which hurts me. I am also not that big a fan of the sound. It seems like glass breaking to some degree. I was asked on a couple of occassions if something was wrong with the cue.

Being a bit frustrated, I got the Gulyassy J/B cue. I used this break cue for approximately 2 months and have had some good results with breaking. Ball spread again is excellent and my potting of balls on the break has increased. The taper of the shaft is smaller then the X-Breaker and the tip is slightly smaller also. Overall I like the cue quite a bit for breaking. As for jumping, it does not perform like the X-Breaker. Then again, I’m not sure if anything is quite like the X-Breaker (I’m going to have to try the X-Jumper someday). The sound is decent enough, and the cue performs well. I would say that I am happy the cues performance and it is an improvement in my breaking over the X-Breaker.

When I ordered the Gulyassy, I was debating between the Varney and it. I then saw a used Varney come up for sale and decided to give it a try despite being happy with my current break cue set-up. I knew I could sell it for virtually the same price if I didn’t like it. All I can say is that I’m glad I made this decision! Out of the three cues, the Varney to me provides more explosion, more balls, more crack, and more consistency. It is really hard to say but the cue seems to cause the balls to ‘crack and explode’. The spread is always great, the sound is much more appealing, and the results are phenomenal! I am making a ball off the break probably 60-70% of the time now (which is great for me). I have also had 5 break and run-outs in the last two weeks. To put it in perspective I have 7 lifetime in league and most of those are off the other person’s break. Now, I am getting a table that can be run out, and more importantly, I am making balls time after time on the break. Overall, this was suppose to be a used cue, but Kevin had just refinished it to new. It is in perfect shape… did I mention that the balls seem to explode? LOL… OK, OK, as for jumping, the cue is good but I still like the X-Breaker. I have to practice with the Varney to see if it will replace that jump cue. As of right now, I will be breaking with the Varney and I’m not looking for another break cue. It is definitely the best break cue that I have every tried
 
Very nice comparison other than this
re: break & run
Snorks said:
To put it in perspective I have 7 lifetime in league and most of those are off the other person’s break.

It's only a B&R if you broke :)

Rep for swaying me in my new J/B purchase.
 
coopdeville said:
Very nice comparison other than this
re: break & run


It's only a B&R if you broke :)

Rep for swaying me in my new J/B purchase.

We call it ERO (Eightball Run Out). Basically, if you come to the table with 15 balls on the table on your first attempt and run all of your balls... so either breaking, or the other person broke and didn't make anything.
 
ebr

Snorks said:
We call it ERO (Eightball Run Out). Basically, if you come to the table with 15 balls on the table on your first attempt and run all of your balls... so either breaking, or the other person broke and didn't make anything.

what league is this?
 
Snorks...Your report could have been describing me, except that I'm still waiting for my X-Breaker. Richard doesn't return my emails or answer his phone, and now he has PMs turned off here on AZ. I have a big deposit down too, $260 IIRC. I'm only saying this because I fear the worst. I'm still hoping that I'll get the cue someday. It's only been a couple months but since I can't reach him I'm worried.

My current jump/break is a Stinger. When I get in the groove it breaks quite well, but honestly I'm not sure if it's any better than I used to do with a heavy/stiff house cue. I can't jump worth beans so I can't evaluate it on that myself, but 12 year old Landon Shuffett jumped like a monster with it, so I guess it's ok;) .

I have an Omen J/B in the "Hoppe Howitzer" style coming this week, and I'm hoping that I prefer it. For me, the break from the side's success is determined by whether I hit the one ball dead square, little else. If I do, I get a great break and usually make a ball and keep whitey on the table.

Last night I watched our house pro Ronnie Wiseman play a long session (12 ahead) of Nine-Ball. It'll still be going on tonight I think. He has a Stinger and a Predator BK2. He uses the Stinger J/B to jump, and the Predator for breaking. He seemed to be having breaking problems last night. His opponent was breaking with his SS jointed playing cue and getting good breaks, but he used a dedicated jump cue, looked like a Lucasi, and MAN he could jump !

I'm sure that the Pros can differentiate between different J/B cues, but for me I tend to think it's a lot of hoooey ! It boils down to whether I'm hitting my breaks well, not the cue. As for jumping, most of the jumping started when I was away from the game, and I really never devoted enough time to it to learn. It's on my short list. Good luck...Tom
 
I have owned all three. I sold my Gulyassy for the x-breaker, then my x-breaker for my Varney that I have now. The Varney J/B is a better breaker and jumper period. No comparison at all. Plus his customer service is top notch.
 
Thank you all for the kind words and especially Snorks. Thank you Snorks for the review! I work very hard to make the Varney j/b something special that makes you proud when you own one. It took years of trial & error but now I've got the right formula!!!:)
 
Redfsh said:
How much are your plain jane J/B? Pics?

Base j/b's start at $375.
Base ones look like the top & bottom in the pic. The middle cue has a buttcap & added Micarta ringwork so cues like it sell for $425. Matching ringwork can be had in the joint as well...bumps it to $475.
Thank you for the interest.
 

Attachments

  • 1st 3 07's.jpg
    1st 3 07's.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 441
Yea, I can't get a hold of richard either, does anybody know what happened to him or how to get a hold of him?
 
J/b

I bought a varney j/b last year but it took a little longer than I expected.I believe Kevin moved during this time so thats no big deal but during this time a Friend of mine started selling his own j/b with a G10 tip its really very similar to an x-breaker.Well when my Varney came I tried it out and I decided that the varney broke the balls better, just to clarify I break right at 30mph so I make balls with both cues but with the G10 tip I feel like I have only one choice and that is to hit center ball.With the varney on the other hand I can hit slightly above or below center and have confidence that I wont miscue.I feel the same about jumping with the varney its just more forgiving and because I struggle with my jumping that is very important to me.
 
coopdeville said:
Very nice comparison other than this
re: break & run


It's only a B&R if you broke :)

Rep for swaying me in my new J/B purchase.

I would call it a Rack and Run.

But...fyi (it is what it is) but TAP considers a Rack and Run a break and run, same as if you broke. APA does not.
 
coopdeville said:
what league is this?

We play VNEA rules here in Ottawa Ontario. As above, ERO (eight ball run out), all balls must be on the table on your first trip to the table (www.brokencue.com). Some pretty good players in our area for sure.
 
Once you go with a Varney J/B.....

Once you go with a Varney J/B, everything else pales in comparison.

That is an excellent writeup Snorks. I tried several J/B before I met Kevin and bought a J/B. I have a review of mine on here too if anyone cares to search for it. I played in a tournament yesterday (finished 4th) and most everyone was commenting on my break. I get asked about it almost every time I play. The rack simply explodes and very seldom do I come up dry.

Someone else mentioned the customer service from Kevin. I agree. It is absolutely the best. I work for a company that deals in millions of $$$ in sales and production, and at that level, there is no one that has the customer service, professionalism, character, and integrity that Kevin shows me, each and every time we have a transaction, or just talk business.

I will be a Varney customer for a long time to come. Not to mention, he makes some awesome looking cues, and I am patiently waiting for my custom player :D

If anyone has any questions or concerns about Varney Cues, please do not hesitate to contact me. I will answer any question to the best of my ability. Phone, email, or PM... doesn't matter. If you are in my area, and care to take a test drive, all you have to do is ask.

My J/B is the top one in the picture that Kevin posted. It looks a little different now... Kevin added a buttcap for me so I'll attach a couple of new pics (Sorry in advance for the quality.. my camera sucks).

Keep up the good work Kevin. Again, excellent write up Snorks.

Regards,
Craig

DSCN0693.JPG

DSCN0694.JPG
 
As a good friend of Snorks I must support his decision with regards to the Varney. I have been playing pool with Snorks for a while and he has shown remarkable improvements in the break portion of his game, which I strongly attribute to the new J/B. I have tried all his break cues and I feel this one is best yet.

I break with a Predator BK with a custom Predator shaft that has a phenolic tip/ferrule and it hits solid. I found, in comparison, that the Varney has a better balance so the power transfer was cleaner, as well I like the full linen wrap, which is probably where the BK2 got the idea, that is on Snorks Varney. It goes right to the butt cap so no matter how you hold it you have a wrap! Sweet. The Varney tip configuration transfers power exceptionally well and I love the grooves in the tip to help hold chalk.

The only area I found tough was in jumping with the cue broken down. The forearm is a little longer than a conventional J/B so you are jumping with a slightly longer cue. In the end that means jack to me as I do not attempt 2" jump shots anyway.

In closing, the Varney is a very nice cue and I now understand why some people say "Play with a Varney or get beat by one.".
 
PoolSponge said:
In closing, the Varney is a very nice cue and I now understand why some people say "Play with a Varney or get beat by one.".

Thank you very much Mr. Sponge.:)
 
Back
Top