Yellow micata

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope this is the right section. I’m getting back into cues and cuemaking and placing an order for the yellow micarta used to get. It’s not like the old school yellow micarta but it is great, low deflection ferrule material.

Anyway, posting in here to see if there is any interest from guys that used tangerine from me.

Thanks, trying to figure out how much to order.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tube only, I tried the rod and it is prone to cracking for some reason. The tube never cracks. The sticks will be .562 x .250

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Tube only, I tried the rod and it is prone to cracking for some reason. The tube never cracks. The sticks will be .562 x .250
MIght have to do with how it is wound. Tube is probably spun onto a mandrel, making it a tighter weave. I prefer rod for capped ferrules, but can make the tubes work.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
If you are able to get the exact same stuff I am sure you'll be able to sell loads of it.

I still have enough of the old stuff to last a couple more years but would buy more.

In my opinion it is the single greatest material for ferrules for wood shafts, period (haven't tried it on carbon). There are other materials that are even lighter but those are all either very soft or not very strong. There are others that are even stronger but those are all considerably heavier.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The rod does not crack if solid capped. I have never stocked or tried the tube.

Gienko

I’d purchase several feet when it’s available. Any consideration of making joint collar sized tubes?

R2PQZ

Hope this is the right section. I’m getting back into cues and cuemaking and placing an order for the yellow micarta used to get. It’s not like the old school yellow micarta but it is great, low deflection ferrule material.

Anyway, posting in here to see if there is any interest from guys that used tangerine from me.

Thanks, trying to figure out how much to order.
I would like 3 feet of this great material. Thanks, Roger

dzcues

Silver Member
Out of curiosity, what is the density, or how does it fit on this commonly referred chart

Thank you.
smt
It's listed there as Mason's Micarta. The weight is virtually identical to Ivorine3 and is only surpassed by Tomahawk. I've used it in both rod & tube versions and was my go-to ferrule material until Tomahawk came along. I still use the tube for jump/break shaft ferrules as I have many feet of this on hand.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for checking this & reporting!
Bought out the plastics & phenolics inventory at a machine shop auction last fall and got a hundred ft or so of a product (1-1/2" diameter) i think the numbers are a little better than tomahawk, but have not had time to finish a shaft to try it.
Odd thing here is, since working on the wife's billiards room & other parts of the house this past almost 2 years,, i've about given up shooting or making sticks. 71st winter coming up, have started the pre-season clinics to repeat as a ski instructor 3 - 4 days/week again this year, so might find a day or 2 to try to catch up with the pool related stuff . Unconventional color, and probably a hard hit, though.

Thanks for all you do to promote and inform pool and stick-making!
Your videos, test subjects, and straight-forward natural style are a real resource.

smt