YOUR highest run outs or other records at Pool?

Highest number of racks I ran out during a 9-Ball match

• Total voters

Banks

Banned
Jealousy? Nope, more like reality. I've been around way too long and with plenty of pros to know that no amateur can hit 9 racks in a row, even if Jesus Christ Himself came down to help him. But I do enjoy your stories!:thumbup:

There are some locals that have thrown down some around or over 9, but they'll even admit they were just flukes. I have friends with runs higher than mine that i can spot or play even with. While these things are fun and nice when you break your own record, they should be kept in mind as that.. a high run. Due to breaking and such, it may mean a bit more in 14.1 of course, since you're not relying on breaking a ball in or a random spread.

One thing you have to understand, is that these are HIGH run records. Not average runs of players. Quite often, ones high run will be considerably higher than their average runs.

I posted a 12. That is a true run. For me, a once in a lifetime run, but I did do it ONCE. My next highest run was a 10 pack, and a few 9 packs. Now, lets break it down just a little to see how that happens....

First thing you need is the ability and focus to run out when the table is runnable. That is a "given". Then, you need a "friendly" rack and the same person racking them the same everytime. Now, that does not mean pattern racking, but having the one in the same spot on the table each time. Along with the friendly rack, goes a friendly table.

By "friendly", I mean a table and racker that gives a consistent rack that just so happens to have the correct gaps in the correct places. My 12 pack was on one table, and my 9's and 10 were on a different table, but the same table for the 9's and 10. And, those were over a two week period. Played on that table many times before, and many times after, and never had the rack break open like it did for those two weeks. And during those two weeks, while playing a crew of construction workers, the same guy was racking for each of those larger runs.

What I know now, and didn't know then, was that the racker had to be consistently putting gaps in the right places by accident that made it conducive to good spreads and balls dropping on the break.

Also, besides the rack and table, the breaker has to recognize what is working, and be able to repeat it rack after rack.

Now, outside of my highest run, and those magical two weeks, my next highest run is down to a 6 pack. Did that ONCE. After that, a number of 4's and 5's. So, for those high runs people have, it's really just a moment in time when everything came together just right to give a good memory. Nothing more than that really. It's surely not indicative of ones normal play.

Alot of truth here.

I broke and ran 7 racks of 9 ball on a 9 foot Brunswick GC. It was a couple years back when I was working on every part of my game. I had taken a lot of practice time working on the break ; maintaining control of the cue ball, playing the one up table or in the side, learning a few break strategies so I could adjust to table conditions with other breaks.

I have had many 4 and 5 packs...when I'm feeling it running 2 or 3 racks happens without me even recalling what happened.

Nobody breaks and runs 20. ...unheard of.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I don't know how low you are rating people as pros, but over here in the states, many amateurs have run over 9 racks in a row. I've had a ten pack put on me, and I know of two other guys where one started with a 10 pack, and when his opponent got to the table he put down an 11 pack. Now, this was on a bar table, but some seem to think it is harder to run a pack on a smaller table because of the clusters. Some think it is easier.
I think a lot of people are underestimating the effects of the equipment that is being played on. 9-ball on a 7' league table is so much easier to run out than on a 9' pro-cut Diamond that it doesn't even make sense to compare the two. Let the pros play 9-ball on bar boxes for a little while and I bet you will see several packages in the double digits, possibly up into the 20s.

8-ball is a bit of a different story. Because of the extra 6 balls, the cluster potential balances out the difficulty a bit between 7' and 9' tables, but it's still mostly a run-out game. According to the stats, the average open player runs out at least every other rack. That makes the math really easy: you can expect to see an x-pack every 2^x racks, and even more often for a pro.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do you get them runoutt stats?

My recollectkn is that the % is closer to 30 than 50, for top pros...acnwledging that this is tournament figures...and that tourney stats are basically the only stats available.
I think a lot of people are underestimating the effects of the equipment that is being played on. 9-ball on a 7' league table is so much easier to run out than on a 9' pro-cut Diamond that it doesn't even make sense to compare the two. Let the pros play 9-ball on bar boxes for a little while and I bet you will see several packages in the double digits, possibly up into the 20s.

8-ball is a bit of a different story. Because of the extra 6 balls, the cluster potential balances out the difficulty a bit between 7' and 9' tables, but it's still mostly a run-out game. According to the stats, the average open player runs out at least every other rack. That makes the math really easy: you can expect to see an x-pack every 2^x racks, and even more often for a pro.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do you get them runoutt stats?

My recollectkn is that the % is closer to 30 than 50, for top pros...acnwledging that this is tournament figures...and that tourney stats are basically the only stats available.
I was going by the stats here, so 50% seemed about right, but it's certainly possible that the stats from those 5 8-ball tournaments aren't representative of the real average.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread made me think why I don´t break my old records even I think i play stronger today.
Here is some key things what i think affects to record runs.

1. 9-ball on spot is common nowadays because racking improved so much lately. At least here Europe. So 1 on spot makes packages easier. I believe it is more common in U.S? That could explain bigger packages somewhat.

2. Trend of tighter tables.

3. Break. Only way to put big packages comes when you are breaking good or getting lucky breaks. To get more chances one need to have good consistent break.

4. Focused play.

5. Hungry for packages. Trying to string em up! :cool:

6. getting some rolls.. :grin:

I got so much motivation to practice breaking that I never have before!!
Been hitting breaks 4-8h per day one week now. My right arm is like spaghetti now :p

I have been recording my breaking. It´s gone way up already but my game is off now due HC-break practice. I believe I can break my 10-ball runout record soon ;)(at least on practice)

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've run 27 consecutive racks of 10 ball on 13 different occasions.
But, I can only do it when no one is looking.

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I ran out the same post 2 times in a row!
Yeah.....I've done that three times in the last two weeks. The third time I figured out what I was doing to cause it; but, it's too hard to explain. All I can do is speak for the entire AZ community in wishing you good luck in figuring it out yourself.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 Ball: 2 (9 ft), 3 (8 ft)
9 Ball: 3 (9 ft)
English 8 Ball: 2 (7 ft)
Snooker: 84 (12 ft)

The latter was a long time and go and will stand until I die.
The first two will improve (that's my story and I'm sticking to it.....)
English 8 Ball will probably stand too as I'm unlikely to ever play it again

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Young Finnish guy made 2 records of his own yesterday. He first ran 136 at 14.1 and later ran 12 racks of 9-ball. He said he was 10-7 down race to 12 handicapped low money game and ran out set and continued running out after match! opponent was racking with magic rack.:eek:

edit. 9-ball on the spot. Not a single one combination 9-balls.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
8 ball = 3 on 7' and 9'
9 ball =4 on 7' and 2 on my tight 9' table

zero on the other games because I have not played them