Your man in Manila

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Gabica is with Bugsy Promotions. Plays with an ER Cue. After so many tries, Gabica finally got his Visa to the US in 2006 an attended the US Open. Came back on 2007 at the US Bar Table Championship which Warren Kiamco both won.

Renemar "Revo" David is the horse of Edwin Reyes. Of course, Revo plays with an ER Cue as well. He is also going to school and is now 2nd year high school if I remember it right. Have not gone to US yet, but with Edwin's help, I pretty sure he will be able to go sometime in the future.

About Preds', they must be selling very well as most bangers I see have them or is saving up to get a Pred Shaft. StarPaper where the Qualifiers will be held is the exclusive distributor of Predator. As to Filipino pros using them, I can't tell how many uses a Pred shaft. Most I see use either a BK or a BK2. That too is the prefered Breaker of most pinoys.

-----
See you guys in The Big Dome, I'm arriving on the 6th near mid-nite.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just practicing on here today to get in stroke. I leave tomorrow at 8:30 PM and arrive in Manila on Oct. 30 at 5 AM. Figure that one out. Actually we lose a day flying that way and there is a 9 hour time difference. OUCH! It will take me two days to recover from the jet lag after a 16 hour trip, includes an hour layover in Guam. I'll be so close to Shanelle and she won't even know I'm there. How sad.

At least my girl Makaela will be at the airport to meet me, bless her little filipino heart. She has been e-mailing me every day and that makes me feel good to know she misses me. I have to confess, I miss her too. I have invited her to visit the tournament with me one day and she may go along. She is too shy. When I take her with me to the poolroom, she barely talks to anyone. Wait till she sees the original Red's jacket I'm bringing for her. It's a small too. Hard to believe it fit me once. Efren (aka Caesar Morales) will be so jealous.

Makaela has a few cute girlfriends that want to meet American (or foreign) men. So if you are single and looking (and there of course), look me up. You can be any age from 30's to 50's, no problem. I may start a match making service. :)

Once again I will be looking for action, but very carefully! If I see you play in a Qualifier, you're barred! If you get knocked out of the tournament, you're barred! If you even know someone who is playing in the tournament, you may be barred. I do plan to play some of the filipino shortstops some One Pocket or Banks. I WILL have my cue so no excuses.

That's all for now. I have to pack my bags for the long stay (three weeks) this time.

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
Have a safe trip Jay. Looking forward to your updates when you're there. This thread was one of the first I read when I joined AZB last year & I loved every word, just wish I could be there in person!:D

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Just practicing on here today to get in stroke. I leave tomorrow at 8:30 PM and arrive in Manila on Oct. 30 at 5 AM. Figure that one out. Actually we lose a day flying that way and there is a 9 hour time difference. OUCH! It will take me two days to recover from the jet lag after a 16 hour trip, includes an hour layover in Guam. I'll be so close to Shanelle and she won't even know I'm there. How sad.

At least my girl Makaela will be at the airport to meet me, bless her little filipino heart. She has been e-mailing me every day and that makes me feel good to know she misses me. I have to confess, I miss her too. I have invited her to visit the tournament with me one day and she may go along. She is too shy. When I take her with me to the poolroom, she barely talks to anyone. Wait till she sees the original Red's jacket I'm bringing for her. It's a small too. Hard to believe it fit me once. Efren (aka Caesar Morales) will be so jealous.

Makaela has a few cute girlfriends that want to meet American (or foreign) men. So if you are single and looking (and there of course), look me up. You can be any age from 30's to 50's, no problem. I may start a match making service. :)

Once again I will be looking for action, but very carefully! If I see you play in a Qualifier, you're barred! If you get knocked out of the tournament, you're barred! If you even know someone who is playing in the tournament, you may be barred. I do plan to play some of the filipino shortstops some One Pocket or Banks. I WILL have my cue so no excuses.

That's all for now. I have to pack my bags for the long stay (three weeks) this time.

Mabuting kapalaran sa iyo, Jay.
Don't forget to write. We want to hear all of the scuttlebutt.
JoeyA

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

Now we know how Jay got the jingle in his jeans;)

Have a great trip!!:)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I made it all in one piece. Mikaela picked me up at the airport. Watta gal!

There are posters and billboards all over the city announcing the WPC, with Efren's picture on them. Who else! They are even reporting the results of the Qualifiers in the newspapers every day. The first four have all been won by Taiwanese players. Even Alcano said in a newspaper interview today that the Taiwan players are the best. That blew me away to read that.

He went on to say that they had more good players. He said their squads are deeper. That also amazed me. Ronnie said only the Taiwanese and filipinos have a chance to win the WPC. He doesn't mince any words. I will go to the Qualifier tonite. Right now, I'm jet lagged to the max.

CebuanoNiNoy

Pinoy D Player
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

There are posters and billboards all over the city announcing the WPC, with Efren's picture on them. Who else! They are even reporting the results of the Qualifiers in the newspapers every day. The first four have all been won by Taiwanese players. Even Alcano said in a newspaper interview today that the Taiwan players are the best. That blew me away to read that.

He went on to say that they had more good players. He said their squads are deeper. That also amazed me. Ronnie said only the Taiwanese and filipinos have a chance to win the WPC. He doesn't mince any words. I will go to the Qualifier tonite. Right now, I'm jet lagged to the max.

I also read that one and also kind of jolted me a little bit.
But i hope he does not look over other nationalities.
And how he also quickly forget the American guy
with initials of SVB who took his sting twice.

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, can you do some sleuthing for us? Pool in the Philippines looks rosy,
specially after I've stumbled across this article. Makisig Network, a start-
up company co-owned and managed mainly by local horseowners are
getting into pool action. This bodes well for pool in general because they
are thinking BIG! They are planning to stage regional pool tours in the
Philippines, one-on-one matches and some internationally flavored events.
Here's the article and a link about Makisig Network's vision of the future:

Makisig TV launches four big international pool events

ronnie_alcano.jpg

Makisig Network's vision and programming: http://inquirerbloggers.net/couchpotatoes/2007/10/17/makisig-tv-for-men/#more-71

Manila, Philippines---Four big 9-ball events headlined by the Philippines'
best have been lined up starting the first quarter of next year after Makisig
Network and Bugsy Promotions inked a pact recently.

Reigning double world champion Ronnie Alcano will banner the Philippine
charge in at least three of those events that will carry handsome purses as
Makisig, which was launched two weeks ago, threw in its hat in the pool
arena.

A regional showdown, ala "The Contender" format on television, will most
likely be the first project. This will pit five bets from Luzon slugging it out
with five from the Visayas in a virtual reality series aired live by Makisig
over Skycable and IBC13.

The second endeavor will be Alcano vs Wu Chia-Ching, the youthful former
world champion from Taiwan as they clash in a one-day classic for the
right to be named world champion.

After this, a made-for-television event will be held as a challenger to the
winner of that match will be determined, making for interesting jockeying
for position among the contenders in the globe.

Two more full-field events will also be held and beamed worldwide through
Makisig Network and the international television channel.

"This is just our small way of making the dreams of our countryman
happen, and that is to get the most exposure in pool as possible," said
Makisig chairman Hermie Esguerra. "The Filipino is a world power in the
sport, let's harness it."

Marlon Bernardino

Source:

http://www.billiardphilippines.com/v3/modules/news/article.php?storyid=57

Last edited:

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

Here's what you've been talking about Jay:

Alcano sees RP-Taiwan duel for World Pool supremacy

By Musong R. Castillo/Inquirer
Last updated 05:47pm (Manila time) 10/30/2007

ronnie.jpg

Manila, Philippines -- If a Filipino fails to win the 2007 World Pool
Championship, the winner will most likely be a Taiwanese.

This was the assessment of defending champion Ronnie Alcano as he
stressed how much the Taiwanese have caught up with the Filipinos in the
game and are even threatening to take over as world powers.

"Sa tingin ko nga, angat na sila sa atin (I think the Taiwanese now have
the edge over the Filipinos)," Alcano told the Philippine Daily Inquirer
(parent company of INQUIRER.net) Monday in an interview in Quezon City.

But he stressed that he is ready to defend the title he won over Germany's
Ralf Souquet.

"I'm always ready (to defend)," he said. "Like the way I treated last year's
tournament, I will treat the elimination matches as a championship match
and treat the championship match as a round-robin game."

Alcano cited the fact that the Philippine bench has become shallow. He
said the Filipinos who were considered as big guns in the past no longer
have the game to contend with the younger Taiwanese bets.

The powerhouse Taiwanese delegation will be led by former world
champions Wu Chia-Ching and Chao Fong-Pang.

"We will not even beat them on the break," Alcano, who is also the
reigning World 8-ball champion, said. "It is safe to say that the Taiwanese
are the only ones who can beat us."

The runner-up in the recent US Open, Alcano also said that Dennis Orcullo
has the best chance to win from among the huge Filipino contingent in the
$400,000 (about P17.6 million) event that starts Nov. 3 at the Araneta
Coliseum in Quezon City.

"His game is picking up and he is virtually unbeatable in the money game
these days," the 35-year-old Calamba native bared.

Alcano said he also has the game to win.

"I want to win again, because no player in the history of this event has
won it two years in a row," he said.

Efren "Bata" Reyes first won the event in 1999 with Canada-based Alex
Pagulayan winning in 2004, two years after Francisco "Django" Bustamante
lost in the finals to American Earl Strickland.

* Earl "The Pearl" Strickland won it two years in a row, 1990 (Bergheim, Germany) and 1991 (Las Vegas, Nevada, USA)

Source:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/sports/view_article.php?article_id=97610

Last edited: