Your pool cue thoughts before I make my Purchase

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone. I have been playing pool since September 2016 casually. I play frequently but just casually. I dont play in a league and I dont play tournaments, but i plan to in the future. I have learned the game very quickly and I continue to progress at an exponential rate. I consider myself a very late stage beginner or an early intermediate, but thats just how I see myself. Can I run out a table, sometimes under optimal conditions.

I am looking to purchase my first cue soon and would like your feedback, which is why I'm here, and probably by the end of this post I may have answered my own quiestion. I mostly play on barboxes at a bar which hosts league game, so I mostly encounter decent players throughout the night. My budget is $1000. I really dont want to purchase a LD cue as I strive to have my game to the point where I can make my own adjustments to compensate for squirt. I was looking at a Schon point blank. I like the style of the cue, the company's reputation from the research ive done, and i like the way the cue hits. My only concern i guess is walking around, into dive bars and such with a thousand dollar cue. I guess I dont want to be "that guy" who thinks hes the Sh!t, when im nowhere near being that good to possess such a fine cue. I was also looking at maybe a mezz, OB, or predator as some of them are less expensive, but I really do want to stay away from LD cues as I dont want to go through the transition period of LD to solid. Thank you for your feedback and time.
Start with a sneaky pete from Schmelke, about $120 to your door,but that don't matter for now. Lots of info here on this forum. Learn more of what you like, need, and want before you spend a grand. Also it could later be your breaker, back-up, or just a bar banger cue to loan your friends, good luck !!! ~ BTW, don't fall for the gimmicks with LD shafts or layered tips. Stay with solid maple shafts & Trangle, LePro, Elkmaster, or Milkduds by pooldawg8 who's a member on this forum. These of course, are my opinions.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any stick that has the Revo shaft.
This thing is the true future.

Agree with that. The custom cue makers wish their cues hit like a Predator. Start with a nice Predator cue that has the adjustable weight system. They have a lifetime guarantee. You can add the REVO and other low deflection shafts later. You only need one butt and a couple of shafts in case the tip falls off or something on one of them.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with that. The custom cue makers wish their cues hit like a Predator. Start with a nice Predator cue that has the adjustable weight system. They have a lifetime guarantee. You can add the REVO and other low deflection shafts later. You only need one butt and a couple of shafts in case the tip falls off or something on one of them.
"Custom makers wish their cues hit like a Predator"? I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup & shit a more intelligent statement !!!

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I don't normally agree with buying a schmelke because I'm into custom cue & spending a ton.

However, I think this time around it's great advice. If you can get a semi custom from schmelke for under $200 for a 1st cue that would be awesome us it would keep your initial money spent real low & you can get a better feel for your 2nd cue. As others have stated, when you upgrade in a year or 2 after you can make the schmelke a break cue.

If you are mainly playing in bars, I would recommend a rugged jb case as they are durable & best protection for your cues & lifetime warranty. Great prices too.

I do shoot in a dive bar & most of us have expensive cues but it's an in house league so pretty much the same people around every week so we don't fear losing or fighting for our cues.

Good luck with whatever you decide & enjoy it.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
As you can see - your going to get a TON of advice here. (hey, that's what this forum is for after all).
Now - I'm a Joss man, and it's my prime shooter. I'm also REALLY impressed with my Lucasi, and Schmelke is a great value as well.

What I'd offer up though:
Go visit a local pool hall - make a few friends, go to a few league nights somewhere, and just talk to a few folks. Often if you show appreciation for someone's cue, and you show that you can and will be respectful of how to handle a cue, they won't mind you taking a few shots with it. Try as many different sticks as you can. Get a feel for what "YOU" like.

To be honest? 1k will buy a helluva lot of cue. Unless you're looking for some special hand crafted club from some "wait 10 years" cue maker - I'd say allocate the money in: a play cue, break cue, case, and a few maintenance tools. You can get a damned fine cue for $300 - $400 .. so you do have a budget you can work with in getting a good setup.

Best of luck - and shoot us some pictures once you decide.

LJhookem14

My friends call me LJ
Silver Member
Not any wrong answers here and while I think Mezz is the best production cue made today (even over a Schon) I still would say without bias that a Mezz might fit what you are looking for.

They make really good LD shafts and they are well known for their LD shafts having a much better feel and feedback compared to all the other LD shafts invluding Predator.

This way you get a cue whose value will never go down and you get a good LD shaft that will feel the closest to a solid maple shaft out of every other LD shaft being made today.

Their MSP or EC7's can cost you around $500 and you get a solid-hitting moderate-LD shaft in the WX700.

It's a win win!

Check out the FB group "Mezz Cue Fans"

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

peterskw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Bob Owen's turn around time is 6-8 months. Bob can do anything you want for a cue. You'll get a great playing cue and something to treasure from him!!!

KP

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a schmelke break cue and a schon cue and a 2x2 case I will sell you real cheap to get you going. Just private message me.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MEUCCI !
He want to shoot pool not arrows.

2 years ago o sold a custom cue for 2,500.00. I bought a used meucci for 200.00 and took the red to pay down on a new truck.

Apparently I shoot arrows pretty good with this meucci.. Good enough to be raised from a 5 to a 6. The cue is 4 years old now with no warps or finish issues.

As for the op's question. ... Buy what attracts you. It does not matter what other people prefer.....they are not shooting with your cue....you are.

I took my custom to bars...league...pool.halls. Sure it got a lot of oohs and ahhhs but it did not make me shoot one ball better than any other cue i have owned.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
2 years ago o sold a custom cue for 2,500.00. I bought a used meucci for 200.00 and took the red to pay down on a new truck.

Apparently I shoot arrows pretty good with this meucci.. Good enough to be raised from a 5 to a 6. The cue is 4 years old now with no warps or finish issues.

As for the op's question. ... Buy what attracts you. It does not matter what other people prefer.....they are not shooting with your cue....you are.

I took my custom to bars...league...pool.halls. Sure it got a lot of oohs and ahhhs but it did not make me shoot one ball better than any other cue i have owned.

Oh nooooo, the custom cue devotees are going to go wild. A $20,000 Balabuska should shoot infinitely better than a Chinese made cue.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Oh nooooo, the custom cue devotees are going to go wild. A $20,000 Balabuska should shoot infinitely better than a Chinese made cue.

A great cue doesn't MAKE you shoot better, it ALLOWS you to shoot better.
...or maybe you think Andretti could win the Indy in a Lada....:rolleyes:

Do you think this man bought his instrument for $38 in a pawn shop?

IMG_3630.JPG