Z-2 with a tavern ball

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Is it me, or is a Z-2 just not solid enough for a giant, heavy, filthy cue ball? Thinking of using an old schon or scruggs next time I have to play with a big ball. How do you guys deal with a skinny shaft and a huge ball? Maybe I just need to give it some time.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it me, or is a Z-2 just not solid enough for a giant, heavy, filthy cue ball? Thinking of using an old schon or scruggs next time I have to play with a big ball. How do you guys deal with a skinny shaft and a huge ball? Maybe I just need to give it some time.

Although I've never tried it, I would consider using a billiard cue. I know when I play 3-cushion, my Predator simply doesn't have enough mass to produce any real spin. The 3-cushion players tell me I'm never going to get any real juice using it, too.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I played in a league last year with the mud ball. Played only one session cause someone bailed on them and I advised I'd only do it for summer and I was done... But I bought a Schmelke cue, added the "pipe" joint, 14MM shaft/tip, lamimnated Schmelke shaft, increased the cue length to 60", and increased the weight to 24oz.

Worked like a charm and paid about $185 for it after all of my options. Have not used the cue since, but it worked pretty well for me :)

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Thanks guys, glad its not just me! Good thing I never sold my old cues. Didnt think I would use them again.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I used a 21oz with 14mm shafts for 40 years just for those types of playing conditions.

Robert Raiford

The Voice of CaromTV
Silver Member
I use my Z-2 to play 3-cushion using the larger carom balls just fine. In fact, my tip is probably down to about 11.5mm now, which is smaller than the original 11.75.

I can do all kinds of extreme spin and full masse shots with it. The only things I find difficult to do with the Z-2 are jump shots and extreme follow/draw shots with sidespin where the CB and OB are very close together (high deflection helps avoid double-hits then because it allows a larger cue angle away from the shot line).

Robert