CTE Aiming Video

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Spiderdave:
Shotmaking videos are completely relevant.

They're relevant to your ego, but that isn't the topic here - is it?

If you can't pocket balls at least as good as the "cultist system users" then STFU!

We're talking about how we pocket balls, not how well we pocket them. Seems to me you should be saying "if you don't know how you pocket balls then STFU!" Well, do you, punk? [<- Dirty Harry]

I'll even give you a lesson and help you get better.

I have a serious concern that a lesson from you might not help as much as you think.

It's hard to get into a stance with a pocket protector in your front pocket.

So leave it in your bookbag.

pj
chgo

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PJ and DR. Dave you should have enough info to try the CTE and report back with info on the necessary adjustments. Thanks in advance for your help. STILL WAITING!!!!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
cookie man said:
PJ and DR. Dave you should have enough info to try the CTE and report back with info on the necessary adjustments. Thanks in advance for your help. STILL WAITING!!!!

It isn't necessary to try CTE to know what adjustments are necessary. We've been reporting what adjustments are necessary since these threads started.

What's missing is an explanation by system users of how they make the adjustments we know are needed. That's missing because system users don't know they make adjustments so they don't believe they do.

I know you don't understand this, cookie - neither do any of the other system users here. That doesn't make it untrue.

pj
chgo

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
It isn't necessary to try CTE to know what adjustments are necessary. We've been reporting what adjustments are necessary since these threads started.

What's missing is an explanation by system users of how they make the adjustments we know are needed. That's missing because system users don't know they make adjustments so they don't believe they do.

I know you don't understand this, cookie - neither do any of the other system users here. That doesn't make it untrue.

pj
chgo
I'm sorry didn't catch the part where you told us about the adjustments. Could you refresh my memory. THanks

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Colin Colenso said:
mikepage said:
If you are looking from center ball to the actual contact point on the cueball, then your sight is not parallel to your stick. This is a serious problem
Interesting point!

This is related to my "dimensionality" argument that I never really finished but seems to have been unappreciated [:-(] so far.

How many shots--really--are there on the pool table? As far as the ball-ball relationship is concerned, there are not that many. It just depends on how finely you want to divvy up the possible overlaps. Let's say you do it in 16ths. So a full hit is 16/16ths. A quarter ball hit is 4/16ths. A half-ball hit is 8/16ths. 9/16ths is slightly fuller than a half ball hit, and so forth. So let's say 16 different ball overlaps gets you a certain resolution. When you're hitting a million shots on the pool table, your task is to recognize one 9/16ths shot as being the same as another 9/16ths shot, and know what that looks like. So you put every shot into one of 16 bins. Of course you don't do this consciously. This is learning--the development of intuition.

Here's the important point. Suppose you aim--like many people do-- by looking from over the stick to the CONTACT POINT. Think about this on a half-ball hit. You're not looking at the edge of the object ball. For you the direction you're looking is angled off from the stick direction by a different amount for different half-ball hits depending on how far apart the balls are.

How are you going to develop intuition? How many "bins" do you have? Suppose you divvy up the distance between the balls into half-diamond increments. So there are 16 different distances. How many different shots are there on the pool table for you? 16 times 16 = 256. It's very much harder for you to develop intuition while hitting those million shots when you don't realize, for example that a SAM#2 is a SAM#2 is a SAM#2.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm sorry didn't catch the part where you told us about the adjustments.

I know you didn't catch it - even though it's in many, many posts (that's what all the diagrams and longwinded descriptions are for). You just don't understand that stuff so you don't know it's the answer to your question.

Could you refresh my memory.

I don't think it's a memory problem.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...people are coming out of the woodwork singing the praises of this stuff-- even the guy in the other thread from Manilla.

So what? Have you missed the part where we say over and over and over and over and over that we know it helps you?

If you ever figure out what we're talking about here you might eventually understand part of it and even (maybe) make an actual contribution to the conversation. I mean other than noise and bluster.

pj
chgo

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
I know you didn't catch it - even though it's in many, many posts (that's what all the diagrams and longwinded descriptions are for). You just don't understand that stuff so you don't know it's the answer to your question.

I don't think it's a memory problem.

pj
chgo
Diagrams wrong PJ useless!!!!!

devindra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hahaha. All Patrick can do is talk. I'd like to see him play but he's too chicken to post a video of him doing Colin's test. It is necessary because I don't think someone would listen to a person who can't run more than 3 balls. Guess he's never even posted a video of him playing so we don't even know who he is lol. Does he even exist?

P.S. Nice Letter Dave :)

CaptiveBred

C21H30O2
Silver Member
I make corrections on the fly... Even if I one stroke. Matter of fact, I had to battle those subconscience moves to correctly study aimimg. My brain was quite good at making needed corrections in the middle of my stroke. Surely some of you do as well and some may not yet be aware of it.

This system, clearly, leaves out many important aspects of pocketing balls. I'd say this would be an intermediate aiming system at best. Sure, you can beat bangers with it and even look good at times... but you will NEVER win a long race with somebody who has learned the intricacies of pocketing balls with all combinations of speed, spin, and angles (which is the only REAL aming system out there) There is a base system for it too. Just have to find it and build from there. The system in this thread does not lend itself to it though...

I'd be willing to play for something big if I knew my opponent was heavily invested on this aimimg system...Why? Cause I know your speed and can fade whatever you put together...

OP - Nice job on the video. I always enjoy a post with pics or videos. If only CC would do videos instead of charts that I need to get a graphing calculator to follow :)

Last edited:

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
devindra said:
Hahaha. All Patrick can do is talk. I'd like to see him play but he's too chicken to post a video of him doing Colin's test. It is necessary because I don't think someone would listen to a person who can't run more than 3 balls. Guess he's never even posted a video of him playing so we don't even know who he is lol. Does he even exist?

P.S. Nice Letter Dave :)

I would also like to see the master at work. It's easy to take jabs at something you don't understand. I say step up and show us the way you would shoot the balls Patrick. Instead of posting your virtual pool screen shots get on video and show me the hows and whys of your methods.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CaptiveBred said:
I make corrections on the fly... even if I one stroke. matter of fact, I had to battle those subconscience moves to correctly study aimimg. My brain was quite good at making neded corrections in the middle of my stroke. Surely some of you do as well and some may not yet be aware of it.

This system, clearly, leaves out many important aspects of pocketing balls. I's say this would be an intermediate aiming system at best. Yeah, you can beat bangers with it and even look good at times... but you will NEVER win a long race with somebody who has learned the inticacies of pocketing balls with all combinations of speed, spins, and angles (which is the only REAL aming system out there)

I'd be willing to play for something big if I knew my opponent was heavily invested on this aimimg system...Why? Cause I know your speed and can fade whatever you put together...

OP - nice job on the video. I always enjoy a post with pics or videos. If only CC would do videos instead of charts that I need to get a graphing calculator to follow :)
I'm heavily invested, see me at valley forge.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
eezbank said:
I would also like to see the master at work.

Why the antagonism Eric?
It's easy to take jabs at something you don't understand.

He's not taking jabs. And I think he understands just fine.

I say step up and show us the way you would shoot the balls Patrick. Instead of posting your virtual pool screen shots get on video and show me the hows and whys of your methods.

NONE of this has ANYTHING to do with how ANYBODY shoots. I am baffled as to why people keep coming back to this.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Colin Colenso said:
Good post JB!

Reflecting on your comments above and your mention of aiming at the contact point earlier, it may be partly a misunderstanding of the semantics of the terms system and feel (or subconcious / intuitive) adjustments, that lead to a lot of the confusion between the two camps.

In the contact point aim method that you mentioned you used to use, though a player can apply this method very deliberately and robotically, it is in fact a feel based system. The CP provides a guide but there are no exact lines to follow, (other than on a straight shot or 90 degree cut, if you align to the CB edge), that allow you to find / visualize the line of the shot except by using intuition / feel. We might call ghost ball or double the distance methods non feel systems, though a great deal of skill and I expect feel is required to estimate those points and to align to them. Hence, because something is purely systematic and geometrically perfect (sans throw) it doesn't make that system necessarily easy or better than the alternatives.

Colin

I'm sorry, but I have to completely disagree with you on this point.

Check out Mosconi's book on how to play pool.

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
mikepage said:
Why the antagonism Eric?

He's not taking jabs. And I think he understands just fine.

NONE of this has ANYTHING to do with how ANYBODY shoots. I am baffled as to why people keep coming back to this.

Mike, with all due respect if you have followed Patricks attacks on Hal in previous threads I think you would better understand why there is a little tension here.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
cookie man said:
I can demonstrate and describe only what I know. I still don't know how the CTE system accounts for the adjustments necessary to make all of the shots in the experiment I have suggested numerous times. When I apply CTE in the ways it has been described to me, and I interpret the instructions literally, the system does not work for the range of shots in my experiment (between positions "A" and "B" in my diagram) ... it only works for one.

Now, when I follow the CTE instructions, and I see that the line of aim is wrong, I know how to make my own adjustments by visualizing the required line of aim (using all of the methods I use) and realigning my cue in the required direction, but I doubt the system proponents would be happy with my demonstration of that.

The part I honestly don't know is the "necessary adjustments" part. If these were described and clear to me, I could explain, illustrate, and demonstrate them. Until then, I cannot.

Regards,
Dave

devindra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CaptiveBred said:
I make corrections on the fly... Even if I one stroke. Matter of fact, I had to battle those subconscience moves to correctly study aimimg. My brain was quite good at making needed corrections in the middle of my stroke. Surely some of you do as well and some may not yet be aware of it.

This system, clearly, leaves out many important aspects of pocketing balls. I'd say this would be an intermediate aiming system at best. Sure, you can beat bangers with it and even look good at times... but you will NEVER win a long race with somebody who has learned the intricacies of pocketing balls with all combinations of speed, spin, and angles (which is the only REAL aming system out there) There is a base system for it too. Just have to find it and build from there. The system in this thread does not lend itself to it though...

OP - Nice job on the video. I always enjoy a post with pics or videos. If only CC would do videos instead of charts that I need to get a graphing calculator to follow :)

Well that means you would put you money up against Efren or Bustamente because they use center 2 edge.