Kamui vs Moori tips what say you?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Just my personal experience, but I found the Kamui to be far too soft for my tastes. I tried them on two of my cues, but the feel just isn't there. Moori all the way for me.

TOO SOFT?
Kamui is one level harder than Mooris.

deano1772

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other way round, moori tips are a lot harder than Kamui...

The old Moori tips used to be great but the new batch get toooo hard tooooo quick...

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moori mediums are awesome, IMO. Never used the other brand, but would be willing to give it a try.

muttley76

"Time to GET BUSY...."
Silver Member
Did you buy them from an authorized dealer?

Yup. Just not for me. It was nowhere near as controllable as a Moori hard. May just be for my game, though. It did seem to put a bit more juice on the ball, but then again, so do old Meucci shafts:p

dacue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used Moori med. for years. About a 2 years ago I tried a Kamui soft. I have since used only kamui soft, more consistent tip. Holds chalk better, hold shape better, and lastly it last longer! JMO!

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Used to use Moori's all the time. Tried the Kamui tips and never went back to anything else :D.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found that most of the problem players have with tips are due to being installed improperly. The most important item is to trun it down on a lathe with a good cutting tool. Sandpaper on the sides can ruin a tip very quick.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Timmy, I would have to take the Moori hands down. I have played with both tips, and have also installed both tips on my Customers cues. I own and a pool hall, with a retail store, along with a cue repair section. I install more than 50 tips in any given month of year, and number of these are both Moori and Kamui tips.

First, there is no tip that compares to a Moori Tip in it's construction and how it machines. Moori tips are less likely to have delamination problems than any other tips made today, and this is do to how they are chemically treated, the layers are glued, and the layer thickness.
I used to play with Moori Medium tip on my Predator 314-2 shaft but I find that I play better with the Moori Soft tip.

I noticed that Predator now uses Everest Medium tips on their shafts now. Since I will need to be replacing my tip very soon, does anyone have an opinion on the Everest tip compared to the Moori?

FAST_N_LOOSE

<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
Silver Member
i noticed that predator now uses everest medium tips on their shafts now. Since i will need to be replacing my tip very soon, does anyone have an opinion on the everest tip compared to the moori?

it's luck of the draw..... I had some that were nice, and another batch that was so mushy that i tossed em.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Since I will need to be replacing my tip very soon, does anyone have an opinion on the Everest tip compared to the Moori?

IMO, Everest tips play much softer than Moori or Kamui mediums. I recently retipped all my shafts with Everest tips and replaced them with Kamui mediums, feels better for me. I will also be trying out some Wizard mediums on a few shafts soon.

Rickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kamui black

After playing with nearly every tip on the market,and installing many,many tips in the last few years,I have to say that the Kamui Black is the best tip I've ever tried.It even machines well and burnishes absolutely perfect.I bought one about a month and a half ago(Kamui Black hard)installed it on my primary playing shaft and burnished it one time and it hasn't budged.Absolutely perfect.No mushrooming or anything.And if your picky about your tip and ferrule like I am,It's a very big deal.The only thing I have to say about it,comparing it to a Moori quick,is the Kamui Black hard is just a tad firm for my taste.A good bit harder than the Moori quick.So the next one I get will be a Kamui Black medium and it should be perfect.I just wish they didn't cost so much so I could keep a few in stock.Most average players don't appreciate the difference between a higher end tip and an elk master.So you can't really justify keeping several on hand unless you do 50 or so tips every month or so.Just my .02

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Timmy, I would have to take the Moori hands down. I have played with both tips, and have also installed both tips on my Customers cues. I own and a pool hall, with a retail store, along with a cue repair section. I install more than 50 tips in any given month of year, and number of these are both Moori and Kamui tips.

First, there is no tip that compares to a Moori Tip in it's construction and how it machines. Moori tips are less likely to have delamination problems than any other tips made today, and this is do to how they are chemically treated, the layers are glued, and the layer thickness.

Kamui tips have twice the thickness of individual layers that Moori tips have, in fact just look at these tips side by side with a magnifying glass. In my opinion there is no major difference between Kamui Tips and most layered tips that cost far less.

The closest tip to a Moori Medium on the market today is the Wizard Medium in my opinion, and this is based upon the installation of hundreds of each of these tips.

I think in the end Timmy, when ever people use something to gage everything else by it obvious which tip sets the standard!!!!;)

I don't know much about how tips install, I only know what I know abut how they play.

For me, it is Kamui all the way. I have the same Kamui on my main playing cue that was installed when the cue was built 3 years ago! I have never, ever, ever, had a tip last anywhere near that long. That tip will not come off my cue until I'm down to nothing but ferrule. It is the best tip I have ever played with and I take care of it like a baby.

I recently added a Kamui Black SS to one of my shafts and absolutely love it also. The new Moori's are no where near the quality of the first generation Morris IMO.

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Nothing beats the old Moori. Pre-Moori III are the best tip hands down. If you can still get them. :) My next prefered tip is the new Kamui Black, then the Molavia. I'm testing a new one (Japanese again) and will see how it stocks up. The Japanese know their tips very well. ;)

Note that I only play with Hard Tips.

dragon81

Jaded Seoul =)
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to play with a Moori...after the first couple of tips, I was hooked, but then I started getting tips that were mushrooming a lot.
I switched to the Kamui right after they came out, and had no problems.
I have now switched to the Kamui Black, and love it!

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, at last... someone who agrees with me...

Do you use a medium soft or soft whitewolf??

I think it is a medium.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that you get more tip for your money with the Kamui - it is actually longer. I have used it for half a year now with plenty of real estate left with no difference in the way it plays.

And for those of you who say get an old Moori tip - IMO they don't even campare to the Kamui.

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used both tips and they are close in play. The Kamui did not mushroom and the Moori did after about 8 hours play. kamui holds chalk a little better... no difference to me though because I chalk after every shot.

ONE BIG PROBLEM... I put on 4 kamui tips in a year; everyone delayered and had chunks fall out. The soft tip lasted longer than med, but I will never get another. I have the moori soft (only for a week) will shape it soon and hope it doesn't fall apart.

Kamui: hit great, quality suck hard
Moori: hits almost as great, quality undetermined at this time

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I used to play with Moori Medium tip on my Predator 314-2 shaft but I find that I play better with the Moori Soft tip.

I noticed that Predator now uses Everest Medium tips on their shafts now. Since I will need to be replacing my tip very soon, does anyone have an opinion on the Everest tip compared to the Moori?

They cost a great deal less, and that is why Predator is using them, and the same reason they moved the production of their cues to China.

In my opinion, like I stated above there is no comparison to Moori's, however, that is my opinion only.

Take care!!

JXMIKE

Aspiring Pro player
Silver Member
I like mooris a lot but have never played with a kamui (wanna try a soft black) but imo the best tips out there is a pressed sniper or elkmaster.