who makes the best playing cue???

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
There is no true correct answer to the question. Every cue maker is capable of creating a great hitting cue. But everyone responds to different combinations of cue materials and construction. In my experience you can find great hitting cues in every price range. You just need to gain the experience of test hitting a wide variety of brands with different combinations of joints, butt woods, and shaft tapers to determine what the best cue characteristics are that you respond best too.

For me, my best hitting cues are:

01. Phillipi w/SS joint ($2,500)
02. Coker w/Ivory Joint ($3,000)
03. McDermott w/Implex joint ($600)

David "Glamour Dave" Nienow

MSandru23

Registered
Manning Custom Cues are VERY excellent hitting cues.

I have hit with near 20 customs, to name a few
Dale Perry, played with a DP for 6 years
Cognoscenti
Coker
Pechauer
Mike Gulyassey
Mike Stacey
Arthur
Mike Webb
Southwest
Bludworth
Espiritu
Gilbert
Thomas Wayne

The Mike Webb was awesome, the Southwest was awesome. I have never hit with the Lambros.

Manning is fairly new on the scene, Mike Webb will back him as ROCK Solid!!!!! Get one of his cues before these high quality cues sky rocket in price and the waiting list gets too long

MSandru23

Registered
Manning Custom Cues are VERY excellent hitting cues.

I have hit with near 20 customs, to name a few
Dale Perry, played with a DP for 6 years
Cognoscenti
Coker
Pechauer
Mike Gulyassey
Mike Stacey
Arthur
Mike Webb
Southwest
Bludworth
Espiritu
Gilbert
Thomas Wayne

The Mike Webb was awesome, the Southwest was awesome. I have never hit with the Lambros.

Manning is fairly new on the scene, Mike Webb will back him as ROCK Solid!!!!! Get one of his cues before these high quality cues sky rocket in price and the waiting list gets too long

pwmike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best playing cue

Tad Kohara is my favorite.Then maybe runde schon. I have been playing with Osarah Cue made by Louie Ochoa.His brorther Fred makes a very good cue.

swami4u

Banned
In order, from the cues i have hit with, liked the best

Pre date SW
Kersh'
Szam (father)
Bushka
Judd
Tad
JW (some)
TS (some cues, ones with a stiff, hard hit......not the norm)
Searing

If i could snap my fingers today and have a new player,excluding the collector items, it would be Judd vs Lambros vs Bender vs Searing.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everybody:

You are wrong.

Here is the man who makes the best:
517799_1.jpg

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite playing cues are made my Ernie Martinez.
Every cue in my collection plays very very well and could be my lifetime daily player if I committed to using it though.

MSandru23

Registered
Add, Lambros, to the List of nearly 20 custom cues that I have hit with,

I STILL, prefer the Manning. They roll True, shoot straight as an arrow and transfer English LIKE YOU CAN NOT BELIEVE. I love watching people hit with one of his cues for the first time. Usually takes about 3 balls for the eyebrows to raise, I know what they are thinking.....I have never felt a hit like this before. Find a Manning, hit with one, you Will HAVE to GET one.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
This saying ''its the indian not the arrow" is only true to a point.All the Indians didn't use the same Arrow,alot made their own to suit their style of shooting and their own bows due to the different wingspan of the Indian.Great Equipment can't hurt but bad equipment can.Think if Roger Federer used a wooden tennis racket how many more tournaments would he win?I've read of pool players winning with a 14 dollar cue like Efren Reyes but players like this are few and on a level that most of us could only dream of playing like.I believe that most players need good solid equipment that their comfortable with.If your lucky and find that special cue that doesn't cost alot thats a bonus but if your a serious player and is lucky enough to find that special cue but has a high price tag,do I settle on something else cause of the price or make one of many pipe-dreams a reality and buy the one I love?Takecare :)

the saying come into play because once you have a certain level of equipment, it's the indian not the arrow. See SVB with his P.O.S. cuetec for substance in this statement. his is an off the shelf cue with his tip of choice. very little if any modification to it. I on the other hand have a 4k custom cue, and i think all time i have one rack of 9 ball on him to his gazzillion on me.

Rtoron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had lots of real nice cues. Actually the best hit I ever experienced on a cue was on an old Joss West, 4 points, no inlays, steel joint and Ivory ferrules. It had the best feel of any cues I have had in my hands and I have owned the best like Tim Scruggs, Richard Black, Cory Barnhart, Mike Cochran, Cognoscenti and others.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
there is poll somewhere on azb about best playing cues'
i saw it once but cant find it could someone provide a link
thanks

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
there is poll somewhere on azb about best playing cues'
i saw it once but cant find it could someone provide a link
thanks

Here's a recent poll on best hitting cue: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=262449

And here's a poll from 2010 on production cues: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=183419

And here's one from 2010 on custom cues: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=191223

One from 2009 on production cues: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=137393

Last edited:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
im gonna add a commercial cue as well as a custom.

I have a fury sneaky pete and dale perry shaft that hits great, I still sometime use it. Also an adam century made in japan with a predator Z
1st gen which hit better than most custom ive ever played with. as far as custom cues that will never be topped I would give it to tim scruggs, tascarella and AE. Worst custom ive ever hit was a carmeli and michael morgan cues. Difficult to answer, what about schick and tad, theres several cue makers that are a notch above the rest

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Bender

Of the cues I have owned, Gus, Barry, Searing, Bender, Schick, Gina, Perry Weston, they have all played well and they should for the $$'s.

How ever if you want a cue in the $800.00 to $1000.00 dollar range that plays as well as any of the above check out John Bender, no relation to Mike. I have had 2 of John's cues the first was one I purchased that he was in the process of building. I played it and thought enough of it to commission a cue from him. I sold the first cue as John was finishing the cue I commissioned and I am TOTALLY HAPPY with the cue John built me!!!
Both cues were consistant in play and John is a one man shop doing all hand work.