New jump rule??

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am watching the 2001 Challenge of Champions. Allen Hopkins stated that he thinks there should be a rule that if you hook yourself, you cannot jump. But, if your opponent hooks you, you can. What do you think of this?? Obviously, it never became a rule, because this is 8 years later. But, I think his idea has a lot of merit to it.
What if you push out to a jump shot and your opponent gives it back to you?

BVal

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
I wouldn't be unhappy if they completely outlawed jumping all together. Never happen obviously, but still.

dave sutton

Banned
allen is old school. its funny to even see him jump. i know he hates it but the game has evolved. change or get out. i know old school pros that refuse to own a jump cue

making this rule would be like saying you can never draw the ball

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
allen is old school. its funny to even see him jump. i know he hates it but the game has evolved. change or get out. i know old school pros that refuse to own a jump cue

making this rule would be like saying you can never draw the ball

I played Hopkins when climbing on the table was the norm, I bet not many remember that. Hopkins would be on his knees in the middle of the table. He seemed to love it. As far as jumping, how would you determine what is a hook? Often you just jump half a ball but are not really completely hooked.. It would be a source of constant argument.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if you push out to a jump shot and your opponent gives it back to you?

BVal

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't think Allens rule request would ever fly. So where would it end. If you miss position and leave a jump that would also be leaving a kick. Both are difficult in there own way.

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
I rarely play games that require a jump shot, other than an occasional game of Chicago, but to me, if jumping is allowed, then you should be able to do it anytime. Accurate jumping can be tricky enough without being penalized for getting a little out of po.

Just my $0.02

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
I am watching the 2001 Challenge of Champions. Allen Hopkins stated that he thinks there should be a rule that if you hook yourself, you cannot jump. But, if your opponent hooks you, you can. What do you think of this?? Obviously, it never became a rule, because this is 8 years later. But, I think his idea has a lot of merit to it.

Just because Allen Hopkins would like rules to be one way does not mean he's right, just that it's his opinion.

He's probably in favor of that rule because he thinks it will help himself.

I disagree with him, and so do many others.

Jump cues are here to stay, hopefully.

Flex

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
...As far as jumping, how would you determine what is a hook? Often you just jump half a ball but are not really completely hooked.. It would be a source of constant argument...

Mac, I not sure I get this. Why would adopting Hopkins suggestion be a constant source for arguments?

Last edited:

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Let's not get off track here, no one is saying to ban jump cues in this thread. And, I do see merit on both sides of the discussion. One problem I see, is a lot of people that can't even run out an open rack own a jump cue, and use it EVERY time they are hooked. That rule would at least force them to learn how to kick. That shot (kicking) seems to be becoming a lost art.

Oh, I see. It's about forcing someone to shoot in a way which diminishes their chances of making contact with the object ball. Sounds like a rule to punish someone who got a bad roll on one of their shots.

I don't like it.

I'm all for kicking, and usually prefer it to jumping. But there are circumstances where the jump is definitely the superior choice.

Flex

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
I see no problem with this rule, but like someone else said, where would you draw the line on what is consider'd a hook or not.

Now as for me, I learned to kick at balls because when I was starting up pool, i didnt own a jumpcue and even when i did, it was like watching a monkey trying to play pool lol.

So i put away the jump cue and just learned how to kick at a ball when hooked.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mac, I not sure I get this. Why would adopting Hopkins suggestion be a constant source for arguments?

The guy says you are hooked and can not jump. You say you can see half the ball but would rather jump and make a full ball hit and can jump. Everybody would have an opinion on what constitutes "Hooked".

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I guess I'm not seeing the problem with having to draw a line about what is and what is not a hook.

It seems to me the issue would only come up when the shooter wants to execute a jump shot during the course of his own run, since he would be allowed to jump on a leave from an opponent.

I saw the telecast in which Hopkins made that comment and really his statement includes a pretty valid assumption that a player would only wish to execute a jump shot if he is hooked. This, I suppose could be partially or fully hooked. But in any event there really does not need to be an issue as to whether an opponent is "hooked" or not. I'm sure Hopkins would say just make the rule that a player cannot execute a jump shot during the course of his own run, period. No arguments and no debates over whether a "hook" exists. I don't think I've yet seen a situation where a player chose a jump shot when he had full access to the object ball. I wouldn't be surprised if it's ever happened, but come on, it would be very rare.