when is to tight to tight

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
When is a pool table to tight to play on? knowing that the shelf shrinks as you tighten pockets and certain shots you cant do from lack of a facing sticking out for enough to cheat the pocket.

Now if a baskett ball is 9" in diameter and the hoop is 18" in dia when does it become to tight?

In golf the cup is 4.25" in diameter and the golf ball is 1.680" in diameter minimum?

pool table stock is roughly 53 degree and 5.5" @ the point with a ball 2.250 in diameter.

Which is better a big target with a small pocket 53deg opening cut to 4" at the points.

Or a pocket cut 45 deg opening with 4"@ the points & 4" @ the back parralel cut this would be a small target and pocket but forgiving enough to exept the ball quite easily like a glove. no chance to spit the ball up unless you miss the middle of the pocket.

Some pros say parralel @ 3.75" @the points.

A few others like 3.5" @ the point but didnt know what angle the pockets were cut.

Craig :groucho:

scruffy1

Silver Member
Has anyone gone to your local golf course or gym and find the diameter of the rim or cup smaller? I think for a practice table at home, knock yourself out! 3 inch pyramid style pockets! But i think there should be an agreed upon spec. (i know there is) but stick to it!

9-ball B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the pockets are too tight,you have to make changes in your normal patterns to run out, or play safe when you normally wouldn't. Pretty soon,you stop going for certain shots that you should go for on "normal" tournament or playing conditions and you become too defensive a player. Having tight pockets can improve the player,but,when the pockets are too tight, a game of nine ball can start to resemble a game of one pocket.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
There is a table in phoenix that i gambled on that was stupid tight. It was playing that way because the cloth was old. I could run a rack on it ok but if a ball was on or within 1 or 2 millimeters to the rail 1 diamond away from pocket, and you had to hit with some speed to move the CB around the table, then forget it, I had to play safe or bank these shots in ever time they came up. That was deffinately to tight, fun one pocket though.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
The Pro orgs say 4.5". Some (a few) pros say 4". Whenever they have tried 4" or less in tournaments they have "NOT" liked it.

Smart pool hall owners want large pockets (5"+) so coin machines collect more and the bangers and the leagues stay happy and coming back on the hourly tables. Some hall owners like to get involved in tournaments so they may want tighter (4.5" -5").

Average home owner wants to make balls so figure larger than 4.5" for them.

Wannabe Pros (average AZBer :p) wants tight but fair so 4.375" to 4.875".

My ego says I want 4.5", but my lousy eyes say 5", guess for me 4.75":D .

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
How wide the the average urinal, which most still miss??

:eek:

LMAO

I like 4" pockets, but there is such diversity with peoples games and preferences, that I'm not sure that there's much for a standard anymore.
Nobody like buckets,unless you're showing someone up that can't shoot anyway.
But in every room I've been in with at least one table with 4" pockets, (Especially with an extended shelf) there's people crowded around watching there, and waiting to get on that one..
I guess it just depends upon if you want a practice table or a money table
The bigger the pockets the faster the cashflow from the table-
Whether it's to the shooters or the house is another story!;)

Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My corner pockets are about 4 1/4" and my side pockets are closer to
5 1/8". Also, my corner pocket shelves seem deeper than most. My side pocket game have developed because of the more generous pockets and I'm often spooked by long rail shots. When I play on a table with more generous corner pockets, I feel like I've trained for the mile on the beach and now I'm running the race on pavement.

I'm curious what you all think about shelf depth.
I think my table has deeper than "normal" shelves in the corner pockets.
This is from the WPBA :
Shelf: The shelf is measured from the center of the imaginary line that goes from one side of the mouth to the other - where the nose of the cushion changes direction - to the vertical cut of the slate pocket cut. Shelf includes bevel.

Corner Pocket Shelf: between 1 [2.54 cm] and 2 ¼ inches [5.715 cm]
Side Pocket Shelf: between 0 and .375 inches [.9525 cm]

Between 1 and 2 1/4 inches? >>>> that a pretty big range and would greatly affect the play of the pocket.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When is a pool table to tight to play on? knowing that the shelf shrinks as you tighten pockets and certain shots you cant do from lack of a facing sticking out for enough to cheat the pocket.

Now if a baskett ball is 9" in diameter and the hoop is 18" in dia when does it become to tight?

In golf the cup is 4.25" in diameter and the golf ball is 1.680" in diameter minimum?

pool table stock is roughly 53 degree and 5.5" @ the point with a ball 2.250 in diameter.

Which is better a big target with a small pocket 53deg opening cut to 4" at the points.

Or a pocket cut 45 deg opening with 4"@ the points & 4" @ the back parralel cut this would be a small target and pocket but forgiving enough to exept the ball quite easily like a glove. no chance to spit the ball up unless you miss the middle of the pocket.

Some pros say parralel @ 3.75" @the points.

A few others like 3.5" @ the point but didnt know what angle the pockets were cut.

Craig :groucho:

i don't know much about the way pockets are cut but i like pockets that play tight but not so tight that i have to play like efren to get out. i think 4.5-4.25 is fine