MD 14.1 Update?

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
I just tried this link and got the following message: "SORRY, THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF VIEWERS FOR THIS CHANNEL HAS BEEN REACHED."

Anyone have more information about this? Any alternate entry? Just keep trying until someone drops out? ..............frustrating................

Yes, it is limited, but keep refreshing until you get in, thats what we all did.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Thanks Stevie. I just beat Harriman too but because of the quirkiness of round robins, Harriman was the one to escape from my bracket. Lame.

Zion got out of his bracket, as did Dave Daya. Now it's Jeanette playing Brandon shuff to see who escapes that one...

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Thanks Stevie. I just beat Harriman too but because of the quirkiness of round robins, Harriman was the one to escape from my bracket. Lame.

Zion got out of his bracket, as did Dave Daya. Now it's Jeanette playing Brandon shuff to see who escapes that one...

Steve, don't tell me ball count got ya.

Great shooting BTW!

Kev

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve beats Danny and does not advance? That is ridiculous. Great playing Steve, too bad Burrows got you.

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Thanks guys. Another BIG thank you to everyone at Big Daddy’s Billiards, Rich and Cindy Moliniero, Tabitha, and the rest of their excellent staff. The room looks spectacular and has a great mix of Diamonds and Gold Crowns. Everything is simply top-notch, with straight pool beads on almost all tables to boot. I can’t say enough about how much these guys do for straight pool with this annual tournament. Anyone in Maryland simply has to check this place out…

Another round of thanks to Peter Burrows, who devotes more time to this tournament than I bet a lot of people know. In a very tough economy, Peter had a 40 player tournament with a $13,500 purse. Not too shabby. He also insists that the players look spotless (slacks, shoes, and collared shirt), which in turn makes the game look great. Any sponsor would have been proud to get their money in this tournament, and any potential sponsor would be seriously impressed by what they saw.

Peter did a little tinkering with the format in an effort to avoid 8 guys going one-and-out on Sunday. At first I was in favor of it, but after seeing the potential problems firsthand, I think it might be time to try something a little more mainstream. I went 6-1 in the tournament and didn’t even finish in the top 4. Bob Maidhof had the same record and his only loss was by nine balls, yet he didn’t crack the top 4 either. The case could be made that his situation was a little easier to swallow than mine because at least the player who escaped out of that bracket went 3-0 (i.e., he beat Bob). Three guys in my bracket went 2-1, so the decision came down to ball differentials. I understand that there’s not much choice (how else to break the tie?), but in high level straight pool it can get kind of kooky. A guy makes a big run on you, it can decimate your ball differential. I was tied with Mike Deschaine at 53-53, he played a beautiful and very tough shot, hit it perfect, and ran 72-and-out. That one run effectively ended my tournament, even though I still had the match with Mr. Harriman to play. I was penalized not just with the loss but by the ball difference. I’m not sure that this is the best way to decide tournaments. For evidence of that, after my match with Danny, he was as surprised as anyone to find he was the one to escape the bracket. He thought his tournament was done!

This is the 2nd of 4 Maryland tournaments where I was the only one to beat the eventual winner, and it’s getting annoying lol. I know this is more my failing than the tournament format; I simply need to learn how to win a tournament this tough. It’s all on me. Hopefully I can learn from it and make myself a stronger player. Really, my whole tournament came down to 2 key misses against Mike Deschaine in the 2nd round robin. I can lament about how that’s not fair (certainly the higher finishers made a few mistakes as well) or I can work on making zero mistakes next time. I’ll try the latter for a while and see how it goes.

None of this is a knock on Peter. He’s a great tournament director - I commend him for his efforts, and for his trying to fix what he thought was a problem in prior tournaments (the Sunday one-and-out scenario). I think it might be time to just go to a standard 32-player double elimination bracket, with no seeding. You lose the tournament when you lose twice, that’s it. Makes things easy and fair.

Anyone else have thoughts on the format? I’m sure Peter would be very interested in feedback.

Thanks,
Steve

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Zion Zvi

Thanks guys. Another BIG thank you to everyone at Big Daddy’s Billiards, Rich and Cindy Moliniero, Tabitha, and the rest of their excellent staff. The room looks spectacular and has a great mix of Diamonds and Gold Crowns. Everything is simply top-notch, with straight pool beads on almost all tables to boot. I can’t say enough about how much these guys do for straight pool with this annual tournament. Anyone in Maryland simply has to check this place out…

Another round of thanks to Peter Burrows, who devotes more time to this tournament than I bet a lot of people know. In a very tough economy, Peter had a 40 player tournament with a $13,500 purse. Not too shabby. He also insists that the players look spotless (slacks, shoes, and collared shirt), which in turn makes the game look great. Any sponsor would have been proud to get their money in this tournament, and any potential sponsor would be seriously impressed by what they saw.

Peter did a little tinkering with the format in an effort to avoid 8 guys going one-and-out on Sunday. At first I was in favor of it, but after seeing the potential problems firsthand, I think it might be time to try something a little more mainstream. I went 6-1 in the tournament and didn’t even finish in the top 4. Bob Maidhof had the same record and his only loss was by nine balls, yet he didn’t crack the top 4 either. The case could be made that his situation was a little easier to swallow than mine because at least the player who escaped out of that bracket went 3-0 (i.e., he beat Bob). Three guys in my bracket went 2-1, so the decision came down to ball differentials. I understand that there’s not much choice (how else to break the tie?), but in high level straight pool it can get kind of kooky. A guy makes a big run on you, it can decimate your ball differential. I was tied with Mike Deschaine at 53-53, he played a beautiful and very tough shot, hit it perfect, and ran 72-and-out. That one run effectively ended my tournament, even though I still had the match with Mr. Harriman to play. I was penalized not just with the loss but by the ball difference. I’m not sure that this is the best way to decide tournaments. For evidence of that, after my match with Danny, he was as surprised as anyone to find he was the one to escape the bracket. He thought his tournament was done!

This is the 2nd of 4 Maryland tournaments where I was the only one to beat the eventual winner, and it’s getting annoying lol. I know this is more my failing than the tournament format; I simply need to learn how to win a tournament this tough. It’s all on me. Hopefully I can learn from it and make myself a stronger player. Really, my whole tournament came down to 2 key misses against Mike Deschaine in the 2nd round robin. I can lament about how that’s not fair (certainly the higher finishers made a few mistakes as well) or I can work on making zero mistakes next time. I’ll try the latter for a while and see how it goes.

None of this is a knock on Peter. He’s a great tournament director - I commend him for his efforts, and for his trying to fix what he thought was a problem in prior tournaments (the Sunday one-and-out scenario). I think it might be time to just go to a standard 32-player double elimination bracket, with no seeding. You lose the tournament when you lose twice, that’s it. Makes things easy and fair.

Anyone else have thoughts on the format? I’m sure Peter would be very interested in feedback.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, I know this is a different topic but I hope Zion Zvi is invited to play in the 14.1 World Championship in August at Comet Billiards. I played him on Saturday (and lost) but spoke with him at length after the match. He is a really personable guy who loves the game and is a top notch straight pool player. It would be a shame if he wasn't invited as he has not won a qualifier.

Your Thoughts? Perhaps you could put a bug in Charlie Williams ear!

Thanks

Wedge

Last edited:

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Steve, once again, tremendous shooting on your part, only 1 loss in a field like this is something to be very proud of, and it is a shame you didn't advance to the final 4, but as you basically said everyone was playing by the same rules.

Thank you once again Peter Burrows for bringing us this great tournament and also to Big Daddy's.

I expressed my opinion on the round robin format about a year ago, and how I thought it was going to cause problems, at the time I was talking about the worlds. Although it does provide a lot of pool for the players and fans, there is certainly flaws as you have experienced. When the format itself can claim a player a looser of the tournament then IMO its not fair. It should be in the players hands, when you split into flights it is virually impossible to even out those flights, that IMO is the biggest factor.

Championships IMO should be run with a triple elimination format and random draw, last one standing without 3 losses wins. This provides more pool for players and spectators, I think the best will rise in this format, and the luck of the draw is simply that, the luck of the draw. But in triple elim the luck of the draw decreases a lot.

Kev

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Where do we go to find out the results? The front AZ board doesn't have the final results.

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Where do we go to find out the results? The front AZ board doesn't have the final results.

Hey Rich, there's another thread in this forum which gives the results.

It was great seeing you and your wife again! It's always a nice plus to this tournament that I get to see you guys. Thanks for sweating me... your support is always appreciated!

- Steve

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Steve, I know this is a different topic but I hope Zion Zvi is invited to play in the 14.1 World Championship in August at Comet Billiards. I played him on Saturday (and lost) but spoke with him at length after the match. He is a really personable guy who loves the game and is a top notch straight pool player. It would be a shame if he wasn't invited as he has not won a qualifier.

Your Thoughts? Perhaps you could put a bug in Charlie Williams ear!

Thanks

Wedge

Hi Wedge. Zion is a great guy. I'm happy he's back in NY - he will raise everyone's game.

I unfortunately have no pull with Charlie, but I'd imagine Zion will be in a good position to get an invite because of his international citizenship. I wouldn't worry...

I'm really happy for him that he's playing so well.

- Steve

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Thanks Steve

Hi Wedge. Zion is a great guy. I'm happy he's back in NY - he will raise everyone's game.

I unfortunately have no pull with Charlie, but I'd imagine Zion will be in a good position to get an invite because of his international citizenship. I wouldn't worry...

- Steve

Thanks Steve, although we didn't play or speak at the tournament I would be remis if I didn't say how impressed I was with your play. You should be the "Prototype" for a 14.1 player that others follow. Good luck at the World Championship!!!

Wedge

Last edited:

Triple Jump

Sunday's Results

Here are the scores from Sunday:

1st Round Robin Round-
Daya beats Maidhof 125-116
Ford beats Haag 125-74
Harriman beats Dechaine 125-55
Lipsky beats Duty 125-100
Lee beats Davis 125-115
Shuff beats McCreesh 125-70
Hodan beats Hunter 125-84
Zvi beats Chamberlain 125-117

2nd Round Robin Round -
Maidhof beats Haag 125-43
Daya beats Ford 125-116
Harriman beats Duty 125-20
Dechaine beats Lipsky 125-53
Shuff beats Davis 125-94
Lee beats McCreesh 125-115
Zvi beats Hodan 125-73
Chamberlain beats Hunter 125-98

3rd Round Robin Round -
Daya beats Haag 125-48
Maidhof beats Ford 125-33
Dechaine beats Duty 125-58
Lipsky beats Harriman 125-61
Lee beats Shuff 125-98
Davis beats McCreesh by forfeit
Zvi beats Hunter 125-31
Hodan beats Chamberlain 125-27

Semifinals
Daya beats Lee 150-128
Harriman beats Zvi 150-107
Harriman and Zvi traded a few balls here and there, but then with the score tied 14-14, Zvi ran 69 to open up an 83-14 lead. Zvi missed and immediately Harriman answered with a 115 ball run to lead 129-83. Zvi ran 24, but after an unexpected miss, Harriman ran 21 to win.

Finals
Harriman beats Daya 150-25
Daya broke, Harriman tried to play safe, but fouled. Daya took an intentional foul. Harriman played a good safe. Daya tried to play safe, but he scratched in the corner put him on 2. Harriman ran 28 then played safe. Daya plays a cautious safe since he's on 2, and leaves an opening for Harriman who ran 99 to lead 126 to -2. Harriman was unable to hit the rack on the break shot to end the run. He played safe and fouled. Daya ran 28 but stuck himself to the side of the rack. Daya took an intentional foul. Harriman played a tough combo, made it, and ran 25 and out for the win.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Hey Rich, there's another thread in this forum which gives the results.

It was great seeing you and your wife again! It's always a nice plus to this tournament that I get to see you guys. Thanks for sweating me... your support is always appreciated!

- Steve

Steve - I'm not sure if your second paragraph is aimed at me. If it is, wrong Rich. I would have loved to be there, though, and would have been rooting for you.

Rich Klein

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Steve - I'm not sure if your second paragraph is aimed at me. If it is, wrong Rich. I would have loved to be there, though, and would have been rooting for you.

Rich Klein

Oops... haha I see your avatar now. Yes, there's a "Rich R" who posts here as well who I see at this tournament every year. Sorry for the mixup!

- Steve

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Zion is in the World 14.1 Tournament

- Steve

Just received an email from Jerry Tarantola and Zion has been invited to the 14.1 World tournament. Wish you both well and much deserved success!!!

Wedge

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Just received an email from Jerry Tarantola and Zion has been invited to the 14.1 World tournament. Wish you both well and much deserved success!!!

Wedge

Congrats to Zion. My invitation must be lost in the mail. LOL.