Practice

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
Hey Sarah, I wanted to ask, since you have a day job, what kind of practice schedule you have? Do you have a table at home or do you have to go out to practice? How many days per week, hours per day? Also, what kind of drills do you do, or do you just play the ghost?

Just curious cuz I'd like to get better too, and I have that nasty day job thing going on too.

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
Well, to be honest, I don't practice as much as I should. I know that I should do it more and I know that I played better and had great results when I was playing non stop. Ideally, I would like to practice at least one hour of committed practice per day. I have never been one that can practice alone for hours on end (though I wish I was!). I always feel like if you can devote serious time, focused time to at least a small portion of your practice it is more beneficial then just hitting balls for hours and hours and getting nothing out of it. Believe me, I did that for way too long!

Drills and I do not get along but in the past few years I have learned to accept them into my life. My boyfriend is really big on doing drills and hours and hours of practice. He showed me a few that are very simple and focus on basics and shots that come up a lot. When I get home from work I will try to do a cuetable diagram (it is blocked at work). Other than that I try to play the ghost or play anyone that is competition. Unfortunately, I live in an area that is not saturated with pool players and pool competition so I don't get that often.

Whenever I have taught, the best advice I can give is about the focused practice time. Things can get frustrating and you can get distracted but if you can just focus on a little bit of time it is very valuable. Plus, putting in a little bit of time is not too much of a stretch around a busy and exhausting work schedule. Thinking of playing 8 hours a day on top of working can be overwhelming and discouraging.

Believe me, working does suck since it takes away from your pool game, but like I have said, the steady paycheck and health insurance are something that I can't sacrifice! I'm sure it is the same for everyone else as well.

Good luck Tim and let me know how things are going!

Sarah

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
I know all about that web censoring, too. Just wanted to get some ideas about how to get a lot of work into a short time block. I recently bought the DVD's and workbooks for the PAT drills, once they arrive I let you know how that turns out as well.

FYI, if you're struggling to find competition, there is plenty to be found down here in NC. :smile:

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
I'm sorry Tim, I got really busy with stuff last night and didn't get a chance to do the diagram. I will do it tonight, I wrote myself a note!

Please let me know how the PAT drills work for you. I have talked to a few people that were very pleased.

You are lucky. I loved the time that I spent in NC over the years. I would love to move there or anywhere down south. The pool action is still very lively down there!

Sarah

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
Even the note didn't work? Maybe tie a string on your finger. Just kidding, whenever you do get the chance that diagram would be awesome. I should have the PAT materials sometime next week & I'll let you know how that works out.

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
Alright, so I didn't forget, but I didn't exactly get it done either. I actually went to practice for a few hours last night!! Shocking, I know.

Here is a link to one of my blog posts where I described one of the drills that I do everytime I practice. It seems really simple, but it is a good warm up. It is the first thing I usually do. Click here.

It is the weekend and I will unwind a little more and get caught up more since I was gone last week. I will get the others done for you. They aren't really anything hard, just repetitive.

Sarah

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
Alright, so I didn't forget, but I didn't exactly get it done either. I actually went to practice for a few hours last night!! Shocking, I know.

Here is a link to one of my blog posts where I described one of the drills that I do everytime I practice. It seems really simple, but it is a good warm up. It is the first thing I usually do. Click here.

It is the weekend and I will unwind a little more and get caught up more since I was gone last week. I will get the others done for you. They aren't really anything hard, just repetitive.

Sarah

It's cool, I'll look at it when I get home. (Image censored at work)