Marop asked for it so here it is

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
You shoot very well. I personally don't think you need to slow down all that much, I believe that is your pace of play and trying to alter that might hurt more than help. As your runs get longer (and they will) you will automatically slow down. My pace of play is much faster in the first two racks than the last two (maybe thats why the run ends, lol). I have nothing negative to say about your play, you just need more practice time to fine tune your patterns.

You played the correct pattern in that last rack, you just got a bad roll off of that secondary breakshot.

If John coached you thru a run you would run a hundred. I've seen him do it with people that shoot as straight as you do.

Keep practicing and post that 50 ball run that will come next week.

Bill

Thumbs high Marop :)

To play the *correct* sequences is the key for succesful (and good!) straight-pool. Even players who are not so horrible good shotmakers can run nice higher runs because they re just choosing the balls with the highest percentage to make-and of course solving the problems at the right moment.
At the moment i ve had a *nostalgical fit* and watched some old straight-ppl videos-and after that some of the *newer generation*. I would name 3-4 ppl here which are common in one thing- J. Rempe, M. Sigel, Schmidt and Hohmann: if you re watching these 4 guys and paying really attention, you re able to see that they all going to choose the easiest way and the shot with the highest percentage-and all are going to solve their problem-balls as soon as possible.
The right sequence is the key for succesful pool!

lg

Ingo

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
thanks Ratta.

I do believe shotmaking is one of my strengths, although I miss many in the side pockets. I hate side pockets!

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Nostalgia

Thumbs high Marop :)

To play the *correct* sequences is the key for succesful (and good!) straight-pool. Even players who are not so horrible good shotmakers can run nice higher runs because they re just choosing the balls with the highest percentage to make-and of course solving the problems at the right moment.
At the moment i ve had a *nostalgical fit* and watched some old straight-ppl videos-and after that some of the *newer generation*. I would name 3-4 ppl here which are common in one thing- J. Rempe, M. Sigel, Schmidt and Hohmann: if you re watching these 4 guys and paying really attention, you re able to see that they all going to choose the easiest way and the shot with the highest percentage-and all are going to solve their problem-balls as soon as possible.
The right sequence is the key for succesful pool!

lg
Ingo

I have nostalgic fits all the time. I was just watching the Rempe/Hopkins match from the 1992 US Open with Grady and Jack Colavita commentating.
Wow. Such control. Such controlled breaking up of clusters and racks. Such precise bumping of balls. Have you seen this one? If so, What do you think about that style of 14.1?

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Yes

dick lane once told me; "practice your weaknesses."

Yes, great advice from Dick and when Dick speaks, I listen. He had told me the same thing.
Center Pocket, you need to take on those shots in the side pockets when it is all possible. Side pocket shots are a big part of 14.1, they come up many times during a match. Teach yourself that they are as normal as any other pocket for pocketing balls.

sausage

Banned
Yes, great advice from Dick and when Dick speaks, I listen. He had told me the same thing.
i absorbed every little thing dick told me. i'd love to see him again playing 14.1. it's a shame that he's no longer competing. have you been to clicks lately, straightman? what's the dallass pool scene like these days?
Center Pocket, you need to take on those shots in the side pockets when it is all possible. Side pocket shots are a big part of 14.1, they come up many times during a match. Teach yourself that they are as normal as any other pocket for pocketing balls.
absolutely! that first shot in the pic i posted is a standard side-pocket shot and preferable to moving balls around with so few left ESPECIALLY if a series of stop-shots await your key ball. if you shy away from side pockets, you are handicapping yourself. i prefer playing on a table with six pockets not four. ;)

i've scratched in the side pocket on such shallow angles i've questioned Newtonian physics. :angry: realizing that they can drop like that has also taught me to not be afraid shoot them even when the angle looks scary.

center pocket

Silver Member
Thats a good point sausage, I have seen the cueball scratch from impossible angles as well. Maybe if picture the object ball dropping in the pocket like whitey would then maybe I will see these shots better. ITs funny when playing nine ball I cut them into the side quite often just from short distances.

I am posting a new thread with a new video in about 30 minutes.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
@dmgwalsh

Jim Rempe is one of my absolutley favourites- to watch him playin...just amazing. Especially the his video *how to run the rack* is the best i ve seen. In my opinion it is absolutley serious what he shows and explains there. For sure he could have put up the racks many times until he would have played all balls perfectly...but he didn t- so he showed the crowd of us seriously, that it is normal (even for a straight-pool-champion like he is) to change your plans in a rack from time to time.

And already in this *old* video he recommended things (and did them finally of course :p) which still have priority for the great players today- to solve your problem as soon as possible (breakin the balls, problem balls etc). And if you see how he is breakin there.....that s the style i personally love :)

If he s able to break with a higher speed (follow shot from side for example) he will choose this like the guy today. Not just pickin out a few balls-

That s the style i prefer- i Love to see Rempe playin,

lg
Ingo

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason a ball will go in the side from such a shallow angle is the equator of the ball is lower than the nose of the cushion. :)

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Here is a video of me running 28 balls. The last shot I made I hit with draw trying to hold it near the rack for the 7 in the corner for insurance. The CB still floated forward and left me nothing, ending the run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hkRZPjCq0c

I got a big straight pool tourney in about 3 weeks and I am struggling getting through 1 rack right now. If you guys could review the video and give me some pointers to work on I would definitely appreciate it. Start with my biggest weaknesses and go on from there.

My current high run is 41 on this Diamond.

Thanks,

P.S. sorry I havent been involved with the forum for a while. All of the past tournaments have been 9 or 10 ball,

41 is pretty nice on one of them Diamonds. I prefer big gaping pockets on a Gold Crown, myself. With pockets like small alligators as Grady once said.

Nice pace, I think. Bumped a few balls early. I saw you stop short at one point and I thought you could have had the other ball on the bottom rail, but instead you had to cut that ball in the side. And eventually you bumped that lower ball up and I thought ok, he wanted to make it a break shot, but then you took it off, too.

Keep them coming.:thumbup:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Clicks

i absorbed every little thing dick told me. i'd love to see him again playing 14.1. it's a shame that he's no longer competing. have you been to clicks lately, straightman? what's the dallass pool scene like these days?

absolutely! that first shot in the pic i posted is a standard side-pocket shot and preferable to moving balls around with so few left ESPECIALLY if a series of stop-shots await your key ball. if you shy away from side pockets, you are handicapping yourself. i prefer playing on a table with six pockets not four. ;)

i've scratched in the side pocket on such shallow angles i've questioned Newtonian physics. :angry: realizing that they can drop like that has also taught me to not be afraid shoot them even when the angle looks scary.

I played a League match at Clicks last week. The place was packed, of course there were quite a few teams there. Doc still runs his monthly 10 ball tournament there every month. I always hear that the turn out is real good with many strong players. I know "Chen" use to play in it but he moved back to his home country. The best thing about Clicks for me is it went to Non-Smoking. The tables are playing better. You can really tell the difference.

Good advise to Center Pocket about the side pockets shots. Glad you backed me up on my points. It is amazing the type of angles like you stated that come up when the cue ball scratches in the side.....LOL It is almost funny. If I come up with a tough shot into the side. I always tell myself, : If the cue ball goes into the side on crazy angles, I can make this shot from this angle into the side.

Looking forward to center pocket's new video.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can shoot a ball into the side where it looks like it will hit the point but it actually goes under it.

DogLoop

Doing some cueing ?
Silver Member
Sequence and clearing an area before moving on ...

I watched your run and decided to think a while before I posted.

I noticed that many people mentioned sequence including Marop, but I didn't see that anyone had mentioned to clear an "area" before moving on to another area (unless ball(s) left behind provide a primary or secondary break out).
Mike Sigel talks directly about this in his videos from the late 80's and the early 90's.

Ray Martin Speaks on this too a bit in his instructional 200:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8294808311951707336

At 7:41 I noticed that you went up-table 14? (hard to tell from the video)whereas the angle on the 3? could have easily lead to the 7->11 -> combo, then up-table.
Instead, after the 14 you shot the 4 nudging balls toward balls that were already seperated and you know the rest.

So, in summary, clearing an area allows one to have an open path to move whitey, it also allows one an open area for clusters to be "broken toward".

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

center pocket

Silver Member
good post dog loop. I have heard working ones side of the table at a time. This is sounds like the same concept, clear one area at a time. I will remember to do this in the future.

sausage

Banned
I played a League match at Clicks last week. The place was packed, of course there were quite a few teams there. Doc still runs his monthly 10 ball tournament there every month. I always hear that the turn out is real good with many strong players. I know "Chen" use to play in it but he moved back to his home country. The best thing about Clicks for me is it went to Non-Smoking. The tables are playing better. You can really tell the difference.
wow, clicks went no smoking! that's great news. i quit entering tournaments because of the smoke. in fact i quit going to pool halls entirely..... i played an oriental dude back at clicks on alpha long ago. don't know if he's "chen" or not but that guy pissed me right off when he began SCREAMING as i was stroking down on a ball; " DON'T SHOOT! DON'T SHOOT! DON'T SHOOT!". i thought the place was on fire or something. turns out he wanted a "ref" to watch my shot... i wanted to strangle him...... which clicks was this? the only two i used to visit are now shut down.

Good advise to Center Pocket about the side pockets shots. Glad you backed me up on my points. It is amazing the type of angles like you stated that come up when the cue ball scratches in the side.....LOL It is almost funny. If I come up with a tough shot into the side. I always tell myself, : If the cue ball goes into the side on crazy angles, I can make this shot from this angle into the side.
exactly.....

DogLoop

Doing some cueing ?
Silver Member
One Side

good post dog loop. I have heard working ones side of the table at a time. This is sounds like the same concept, clear one area at a time. I will remember to do this in the future.

I'd guess that "one side at a time" is very much like what I'd posted earlier.
Many experts say that better than 85% of the balls should be pocketed in the bottom 4 pockets (yes, the side pockets, too). One might imagine choosing to first clear the side opposite of an available secondary break shot, then clearing the path of the secondary; ideally, leaving the safety valve shot(s) on the same side of the stack Kojack has to run into.
This way the "broken balls" can come to rest without becoming a new obstruction.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I watched your run and decided to think a while before I posted.

I noticed that many people mentioned sequence including Marop, but I didn't see that anyone had mentioned to clear an "area" before moving on to another area (unless ball(s) left behind provide a primary or secondary break out).
Mike Sigel talks directly about this in his videos from the late 80's and the early 90's.

Actually, I don't think Marop criticized his sequencing. But it is interesting that you mention Sigel's concept because Marop and I were discussing it earlier today in reference to the criticisms that others had mentioned in this thread. We were saying you don't necessarily need to be super precise as long as you have a general idea and go into an area, clear out all the balls (several different ways to do it) but when you leave that area, they should all be gone. The end of the rack pattern requires more precision but no need to map out all 14 at the beginning. If the player gets too slow analyzing his pattern he may lose his rhythm. In training, perhaps slow it down. Thinking out loud here.

Last edited:

DogLoop

Doing some cueing ?
Silver Member
I apologize ...

Actually, I don't think Marop criticized his sequencing.

Dennis,

I hope I didn't mis-quote or imply a negative critique. Bill wrote "fine tune your patterns", I took this to mean sequence or path of cue travel.
I mentioned "area clearing" and "safety valve" in effort to aid Center Pocket because those seemed to be all I could find missing in his technique from such a short sampling.
In fact, I openly agree that most players should not try to map out the 14 remaining, nor should Center Pocket slow down (much). I do think that the readers would benefit from the concepts of clearing target and cue ball paths as well as not breaking balls into non-clear areas (when possible, of course).
Also, I agree that position precision should increase on the end-rack and shouldn't be too great a concern up to that point. Rhythm is a VERY valuable tool, too valuable to forego in favor of other things sometimes.

On the subject of rhythm, does anyone know who wrote on the subject of using a metronome in practice to determine a baseline pace/rhythm, I cannot recall for sure but maybe it was George Fels ... Anyhow, I found that very effective for me.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Dennis,

I hope I didn't mis-quote or imply a negative critique. Bill wrote "fine tune your patterns", I took this to mean sequence or path of cue travel.
I mentioned "area clearing" and "safety valve" in effort to aid Center Pocket because those seemed to be all I could find missing in his technique from such a short sampling.
In fact, I openly agree that most players should not try to map out the 14 remaining, nor should Center Pocket slow down (much). I do think that the readers would benefit from the concepts of clearing target and cue ball paths as well as not breaking balls into non-clear areas (when possible, of course).
Also, I agree that position precision should increase on the end-rack and shouldn't be too great a concern up to that point. Rhythm is a VERY valuable tool, too valuable to forego in favor of other things sometimes.

On the subject of rhythm, does anyone know who wrote on the subject of using a metronome in practice to determine a baseline pace/rhythm, I cannot recall for sure but maybe it was George Fels ... Anyhow, I found that very effective for me.

I agree with everything you've said here. Don't know about the metronome. Maybe Bob Fancher in Pleasures of Small Motions. I think he talked about developing your rhythm and how it is like a dance.

center pocket

Silver Member
Well guys I think I have improved already in my patterns a bit. I triy to take care of trouble balls that block pockets, up table balls, and clusters as soon as i can. Once all the balls are in the open I pick my last 3 or 4 balls, my first 1 or 2 shots then tie them together , this is mentioned in Capelle's book! Almost everytime I am shooting now I am running at least a rack and a half. So even though I am not posting big numbers yet I am feeling a bit more consistent.

Also if you see my other video in the "Progres???" thread, I have slowed down alot just to make sure I play better patterns. Now that I am getting a better feel for how to play the balls I have started to speed up a bit back to rhythm that was shown in this thread.

Honestly my true rhythm when I playing jam up rotation games, is combination between the two. Not super fast but definitely not slow. Medium fast would be how I describe it. a 6 or a 7 on scale of 1-10