My Gold crown 1

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Sorry...You had told me you were a coin op mechanic doing 1000 coin ops a year. Did not realize you did alot of Gold Crowns back then. I know you work on alot now. I am going on info from Jay Speilberg. Who has been working on Gold Crowns since 1970. He could be mistaken though.

Pat, read the following:

In the United States and CanadaThe best known American variety of bluestone is a feldspathic sandstone, which is produced in hundreds of small quarries in adjacent areas of Pennsylvania and New York. It is also quarried in the Canadian Appalachians near Deer Lake in Western Newfoundland.[2] The Pennsylvania Bluestone Association has 105 members, the vast majority of them quarriers. The other, lesser known, type of American bluestone is formed from a different sedimentary rock, limestone. The limestone is abundant in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia yet The Frazier Quarry [www.frazierquarry.com] is the only remaining quarry that cuts dimension stone from it.

Bluestone from Pennsylvania and New York is commercially known as bluestone or Pennsylvania Bluestone. These are a group of sandstones defined as feldspathic greywacke. The sand-sized grains from which bluestone is constituted were deposited in the "Catskill Delta" during the Middle to Upper Devonian Period of the Paleozoic Era, approximately 370 to 345 million years ago. If the initial deposit was made under slow moving water the ripples of the water action on the sand or mud will be revealed. This deposition process may be seen today at any ocean beach in shallow water or in a stream bed where conditions allow it to be observed. The term "bluestone" is derived from a deep-blue-colored sandstone first found in Ulster County, New York.

The Catskill Delta was created from run off from the Acadian Mountains ("Ancestral Appalachians") which covered the area where New York City now exists. This Delta ran in a narrow band from southwest to northeast and today provides the base material for the high-quality bluestone which is quarried from the Catskill Mountains (and Northeast Pennsylvania).

As the product became more popular as an architectural and building stone and demand grew, quarrying for it spread throughout south central New York and northeast Pennsylvania. It is a unique commodity of particular value to the economy of Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania.

Bluestone from the Shenandoah Valley is regionally known as bluestone but a less ambiguous name is Shenandoah Valley Bluestone. The limestone formed during the Ordovician Period approximately 450 to 500 million years ago, but it was formed at the bottom of a relatively shallow ocean that then covered what is today Rockingham County, Virginia. However, the limestone that accumulated in Rockingham County was darker in color than most other limestone deposits because it was in deeper waters exposed to less light. The darker blue color resulted in limestone from this region to be dubbed bluestone and with two sequences measuring about 10,000 ft, it gives the area one of the largest limestone deposits in the world. The stone eventually fades from a deep blue to a light grey after prolonged exposure to the sun.Given the abundance of the stone in the Rockingham County area, the first settlers used it as foundations and chimneys for their houses. When James Madison University was built, the native bluestone was used to construct the buildings because of its high quality and cultural ties.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Pat, read the following:

In the United States and CanadaThe best known American variety of bluestone is a feldspathic sandstone, which is produced in hundreds of small quarries in adjacent areas of Pennsylvania and New York. It is also quarried in the Canadian Appalachians near Deer Lake in Western Newfoundland.[2] The Pennsylvania Bluestone Association has 105 members, the vast majority of them quarriers. The other, lesser known, type of American bluestone is formed from a different sedimentary rock, limestone. The limestone is abundant in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia yet The Frazier Quarry [www.frazierquarry.com] is the only remaining quarry that cuts dimension stone from it.

Bluestone from Pennsylvania and New York is commercially known as bluestone or Pennsylvania Bluestone. These are a group of sandstones defined as feldspathic greywacke. The sand-sized grains from which bluestone is constituted were deposited in the "Catskill Delta" during the Middle to Upper Devonian Period of the Paleozoic Era, approximately 370 to 345 million years ago. If the initial deposit was made under slow moving water the ripples of the water action on the sand or mud will be revealed. This deposition process may be seen today at any ocean beach in shallow water or in a stream bed where conditions allow it to be observed. The term "bluestone" is derived from a deep-blue-colored sandstone first found in Ulster County, New York.

The Catskill Delta was created from run off from the Acadian Mountains ("Ancestral Appalachians") which covered the area where New York City now exists. This Delta ran in a narrow band from southwest to northeast and today provides the base material for the high-quality bluestone which is quarried from the Catskill Mountains (and Northeast Pennsylvania).

As the product became more popular as an architectural and building stone and demand grew, quarrying for it spread throughout south central New York and northeast Pennsylvania. It is a unique commodity of particular value to the economy of Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania.

Bluestone from the Shenandoah Valley is regionally known as bluestone but a less ambiguous name is Shenandoah Valley Bluestone. The limestone formed during the Ordovician Period approximately 450 to 500 million years ago, but it was formed at the bottom of a relatively shallow ocean that then covered what is today Rockingham County, Virginia. However, the limestone that accumulated in Rockingham County was darker in color than most other limestone deposits because it was in deeper waters exposed to less light. The darker blue color resulted in limestone from this region to be dubbed bluestone and with two sequences measuring about 10,000 ft, it gives the area one of the largest limestone deposits in the world. The stone eventually fades from a deep blue to a light grey after prolonged exposure to the sun.Given the abundance of the stone in the Rockingham County area, the first settlers used it as foundations and chimneys for their houses. When James Madison University was built, the native bluestone was used to construct the buildings because of its high quality and cultural ties.

Thanks for sharing. I had done a search and found the same. But can't find the exact years that Brunswick used Bluestone or Brunstone or Slate. Wish Al Conte was alive. He would have known. The only thing I do know is we have 8 sets of what looks like slate and 2 which don't.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thanks for sharing. I had done a search and found the same. But can't find the exact years that Brunswick used Bluestone or Brunstone or Slate. Wish Al Conte was alive. He would have known. The only thing I do know is we have 8 sets of what looks like slate and 2 which don't.

If any of them are real slate, they'll have the half moon grinding marks on them, either on the playing surface or on the bottom side. Slate is cut and ground to a finish.;)

ballafish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
very nice

I am jealous. I have a GC1 that I just put together and now that I see yours I want to take mine apart again.

Very nice work and the color selection looks great.

Did the mechanic put relief cuts in the side and corner pocket cloth?

Allen

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
I am jealous. I have a GC1 that I just put together and now that I see yours I want to take mine apart again.

Very nice work and the color selection looks great.

Did the mechanic put relief cuts in the side and corner pocket cloth?

Allen
Allen,
Yes...and got full coverage. Why do you ask? I am curious because I have never done pockets without cutting reliefs in them and thought it could not be done if your cloth is truely stretched right.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your Gold Crown is beautiful. Nice pick. Great job on that table. Love those Brunswick GC's. I played on white GC's with a gold cloths in the 60's & 70's at Cue and Cushion on Cottman St. in NE Phila.
Anyway I did some research and Bob & Pat's name came up. Spoke to both of them. Bob is coming out to look at my table next week. The cushions went FUBAR. I know I'm making the right choice for service.... especially after seeing this thread. Thanks for posting.

My current table. I might use the same color (gold) Simonis or possibly Burgundy

Attachments

• IMG_0222.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0222.JPG.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Hey Al-Po, beautiful Gold Crown, I also have a GC1 thats getting new Atremis cushions, rail calibration , and Simonis cloth, I really like the way your table looks and I am thinking about finishing mine like yours, do you know what stain was used on the skirts and legs and is it in fact darker than the rails as it appears in your pictures?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Your Gold Crown is beautiful. Nice pick. Great job on that table. Love those Brunswick GC's. I played on white GC's with a gold cloths in the 60's & 70's at Cue and Cushion on Cottman St. in NE Phila.
Anyway I did some research and Bob & Pat's name came up. Spoke to both of them. Bob is coming out to look at my table next week. The cushions went FUBAR. I know I'm making the right choice for service.... especially after seeing this thread. Thanks for posting.

My current table. I might use the same color (gold) Simonis or possibly Burgundy

Lookin' under the table;

Haven't seen the ''rack around'' in quite sometime....