Inexpensive starter cues.

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for some very inexpensive cues for a friend. The catch is they really need to be around the $35 limit. I have seen similar threads but I wanted to get some opinions of the following cues. Rage, Dufferin, Elite, Viper, and Axion. Any of the above seem to stand out above the others concerning quality? Thanks in advance for any help.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't take this the wrong way...if all you have is thirty five, just play off the wall for a few more months,while adding to it..or hold a couple friday nite tourneys an take your cut an add it to your friends money to help him/her out.
You also could go around to a few friends an take up a collection.just things I've done.

juspooln

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for that price range IMO Lucky by far just got one for one of our members and was SURPRISED at the quality for the price

matteroner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for some very inexpensive cues for a friend. The catch is they really need to be around the $35 limit. I have seen similar threads but I wanted to get some opinions of the following cues. Rage, Dufferin, Elite, Viper, and Axion. Any of the above seem to stand out above the others concerning quality? Thanks in advance for any help.

no experience with em' ...but they have some cheap cues...

http://www.schmelkecue.com/

i was thinking of picking up a few for the wall....

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I've hit with Viper's (purchased at Academy Sports and Outdoors stores) that hit decently for @$35. I once had an Action sneaky that had a real solid hit (I got it free after making a case purchase, but I'm sure it couldn't have been a very expensive cue). Players cues are always high on the list of good-hitting, least-expensive cues.

Maniac

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
If he can only spend $35. just play with an cue of the wall for a month, and save up a little. best cue for the money by far is the R360 cutec for $140ish. plain but will play good and be something you can use for a while.

Banks

Banned
Check out craigslist, there are usually people unloading cues that they never really used and at about half price or less. If he's got about $35 to blow, you could end up snagging a $100 cue. Just a thought.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
I picked up a couple of McDermott (Luckys ?) for $25/ea on sale at Scheels (normally $35). Great hitting 1-piece cues for that cost.

walrus_3d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My vote's for Players, too. The prettier ones are around $60+, but they all play decently for a low-end cue. Mine's still in my trunk if i break my Predator. When he's ready to move up to a better cue, just put a Kamui (or other $35-$40) tip on it, it'll play like a $200 cue. Anyway that's what I did. Worked out well for me.

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't take this the wrong way...if all you have is thirty five, just play off the wall for a few more months,while adding to it..or hold a couple friday nite tourneys an take your cut an add it to your friends money to help him/her out.
You also could go around to a few friends an take up a collection.just things I've done.
The cue is not for me or my friend. He is looking to get a couple of his grand kids a cue (as a Christmas gift) that are just taking up the game. They are around 15 years of age.:)

walrus_3d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue is not for me or my friend. He is looking to get a couple of his grand kids a cue (as a Christmas gift) that are just taking up the game. They are around 15 years of age.:)

In that case, I can vouch that Players can take a beating without getting too many dings in the shaft. If they're new to playing, that might be the most important quality. :D

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I used to sell a lot of Players sneaky pete`s for about 40$. They seemed to go over OK.

I was just gonna recommend these! My son has one I picked up from a guy who was down on his luck about 4-5 years ago now....firey red cocobolo, really quite pretty...think I paid $25 for it. He leaves it in it's case, upright, out in our gameroom, which is not heated or cooled full time...damn thing is still straight as an arrow! He'll never part with it...with the insert in the shaft to protect it while breaking; it's all the cue he'll ever need.

On the flip side...my son originally had a Viper...he hated the way it played; said it felt completely dead.

There are always inexpensive sneaky petes on eBay...seen them as low as $9.99. Start them out with that...as they get better, change the ferrule and tip, and tada!...probably an even better playing cue, for very little outlay.

Lisa

Last edited:

LucasBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lucky cues by McDermott all the way. For the money the quality Nd hit can't be beat. I got 1 from Ozone Billiards for cheaper than the McD website and couldn't be happier. Different colors and designs too.

plainbutt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Players online for $40. Been my player for 5 yrs. and then, had a Lady beat me witha Tournament Choice she had bought at the local outdoor store for $15. Glad I started with a cheap stick as I put a lot of dings in it the first two years.

rrich1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lucky.

just bought 2 for the house for people to use on my table. nice quality and hit pretty well.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see...players,action,viper..their all descent starters.might even be able to find a Duffrin out there.Grand kids love'em.