Question about one pocket layout

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in this scenario is this your last shot?? i.e. the game is over after the next shot? If so, I 2 rail the 5 ball with right english on the cue, taking the cue 4 rails for shape on the 14 for a finishing cross bank....if this is a mid game scenario I shoot the 14 with straight left englinsh trying to 2 rail it up table to tie it up on the 5, ideally cueball finishes frozen to the head rail...

Its only his last shot if he F's up and sells out!!!!!!! :D

I follow in the 14 or fly the cue ball into the next room after making the 14.

I would rather need 3 than sell out.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With 2 balls frozen on the spot and cueball in hand, it is not to difficult for a one pocket player to make the ball on the spot. The second ball usually ends up near your pocket.

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With 2 balls frozen on the spot and cueball in hand, it is not to difficult for a one pocket player to make the ball on the spot. The second ball usually ends up near your pocket.

More difficult than from where it is now

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
I am glad to see that this thread has generated so much talk. The shot that I went for (and made) was the 2-rail kick on the 14 to my hole, so I basically won my bet on the first reply. I thought that I would share a little bit more about the situation and see if anyone wants to comment on that as well. Here are all the factors that weighed into my decision:
  • The 14 was too far off the rail to follow and I was too far away to confidentally knock it off the table.
  • The 14 was too close to the rail to allow me to get in there to bank it. I thought about trying to intentionally kiss it towards my pocket Jersey Red style, but the 14 might have caught on the point and the double-kiss could have left it in front of his pocket. Plus if I don't make it there is usually a soft bank.
  • I did not think I could get enough left english to try kicking at the 14 from the short rail only because the long rail would interfere with my ability to bridge it comfortably and I could end up bending it into the shot, since I couldn't use a level bridge, and pocket the 14.
  • I didn't think of the shot in reply #20 and even if I did I would not have shot it on the table we were playing on because the pockets are poorly cut and the points are rounded from wear.
  • We were only playing $10 a game and it was the last of two games we played because his ride home was waiting.
  • When I looked at the shot I felt real good about at least being able to knock the 14 away and not leave a shot.
So this is the shot I took; it went in; I double-banked the 5 to my hole and won from the resulting position. It turned out that what most irritated my opponent was having to listen to his friend on the way home (who knew zilch about one pocket and little about billiards in general) talk about how that was the greatest pool shot he ever saw. I do feel kind of bad for him about that, but how was I to know?

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first response was two rail the ball or a two rail safety kick. It appears you two rail kick banked the ball? If so that would be my last option. If the diagram is correct a two rail bank is not an option. Coming in from behind is possible but as Grady would say - fraught with peril. It works sometimes if you get a good roll. Taking it out straight on might work but there will be a kiss, do you feel lucky? I think the best option is thin it with right. You might scratch but not likely if hit well.

Go over to onepocket.org and ask there. I think you'll find your shot very low on the list. Yes you made, good shot but its very low percentage.

My two bits~ Rod

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Rod gets a gold star..... Playing for ten a game you can get experimental, but if you kick two rails for a hundred or more a game you're mad at your money. Efren, orcullo, SVB, or the like are okay to kick two rails safe behind the 14 but anyone short of that speed is not. Even the champs aren't going for the two rail kick bank..... Ever.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO the right shot is to bring the 14 and CB up table -- you hit the 14 as full as you can (and not hit a point of the corner pocket) with a touch of running english. Both the 14 and CB go three rails and end up by the corner pocket. Hit properly you won't even leave a bank. Anything off the five is no good because the 14 is basically in a "big ball" position.

Lou Figueroa

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
Playing for ten a game you can get experimenta

This is the main reason that I went for the shot although I feel I know that table so well when kicking that I would probably do it again for more. It all depends on how I am feeling at the time.

Another thing I think should be taken into account is what is the percentage of winning the game if you take out the ball in some way. You are giving the other player a move at the very least if not a free bank on the 5 and he will still be on the hill while you now need 3. At this point you need to take into account how well you are moving at the time with respect to your opponent. If he is a better mover than you I think then you have to take a flyer at something when you are down like this and get the chance.

paplayer

Registered
I am glad to see that this thread has generated so much talk. The shot that I went for (and made) was the 2-rail kick on the 14 to my hole, so I basically won my bet on the first reply. I thought that I would share a little bit more about the situation and see if anyone wants to comment on that as well. Here are all the factors that weighed into my decision:
  • The 14 was too far off the rail to follow and I was too far away to confidentally knock it off the table.
  • The 14 was too close to the rail to allow me to get in there to bank it. I thought about trying to intentionally kiss it towards my pocket Jersey Red style, but the 14 might have caught on the point and the double-kiss could have left it in front of his pocket. Plus if I don't make it there is usually a soft bank.
  • I did not think I could get enough left english to try kicking at the 14 from the short rail only because the long rail would interfere with my ability to bridge it comfortably and I could end up bending it into the shot, since I couldn't use a level bridge, and pocket the 14.
  • I didn't think of the shot in reply #20 and even if I did I would not have shot it on the table we were playing on because the pockets are poorly cut and the points are rounded from wear.
  • We were only playing $10 a game and it was the last of two games we played because his ride home was waiting.
  • When I looked at the shot I felt real good about at least being able to knock the 14 away and not leave a shot.
So this is the shot I took; it went in; I double-banked the 5 to my hole and won from the resulting position. It turned out that what most irritated my opponent was having to listen to his friend on the way home (who knew zilch about one pocket and little about billiards in general) talk about how that was the greatest pool shot he ever saw. I do feel kind of bad for him about that, but how was I to know?

This is ridiculousness...just because some people (happened to be the first person) chose that stupid shot, doesn't mean that its the right shot. The bet said that after polling a number of people on here, it would come to a general conclusion that your shot was the right one. 2nd...to say that the 14 was "too far off the rail to follow and I was too far away to confidentally knock it off the table." seems a little odd that you felt confident kicking two rails in behind it then? 3rd. The cueball was off the rail, even when I asked you if you remembered shooting from frozen to the rail you couldn't answer that, and with all the thought that apparently went into this shot, I feel as though that should of crossed your mind. 4th. the pockets are fine. 5th. Like i said before, the bet shouldn't matter, regardless I try to shoot the right shot all the time, but maybe that's just me.

Not the worst shot I've ever seen played but I welcome anyone I play to shoot it every time, that's my final point.

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
This is ridiculousness...just because some people (happened to be the first person) chose that stupid shot, doesn't mean that its the right shot. The bet said that after polling a number of people on here, it would come to a general conclusion that your shot was the right one. 2nd...to say that the 14 was "too far off the rail to follow and I was too far away to confidentally knock it off the table." seems a little odd that you felt confident kicking two rails in behind it then? 3rd. The cueball was off the rail, even when I asked you if you remembered shooting from frozen to the rail you couldn't answer that, and with all the thought that apparently went into this shot, I feel as though that should of crossed your mind. 4th. the pockets are fine. 5th. Like i said before, the bet shouldn't matter, regardless I try to shoot the right shot all the time, but maybe that's just me.

Not the worst shot I've ever seen played but I welcome anyone I play to shoot it every time, that's my final point.

You know as well as I do that the pockets on that table are tricky at best; they are cut poorly, have worn points and the rails are crappy and this had an impact on my decision. You may be correct that the cue ball was not on the rail, but it was far enough inside of the 14 ball to make the take away and follow in difficult which was my main point. If it was off the rail even a little it would be more likely that I would be able to execute the kick-bank since I could hit it with more confidence.

As for the bet; I thought it was just as to whether or not someone would come up with it at all and since we didn't actually bet any cash I don't see why you should be upset about it anymore. It's not like I gloated over it; I know I got lucky as hell to actually make it.

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member

I know your main argument was that if I were to shoot this shot you would bet 10-1 on the money that you would win from there which I think is pretty close to correct. The question I have is what do you think the odds are of me winning if I did any of the other options? If I could have made the ball on a scratch shot you would be on the hill with me needing 3 and you would have a free move on top of that. I think the odds from there are about the same only by shooting the shot I did I gave myself a chance to make it slightly above 50-50 in my favor since I would have the first shot at moving the 5.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
This thread should serve as testament that one pocket should never be played for less than 40 or 50 a game..... It's akin to playing cheap hold'em. Anyone can get loose and cowboy playing cheap.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I'm nowhere near the player The Saw is, so I'm more conservative. I'm just trying to live to fight another inning and clear my opponents pocket, but not with a kick. I'd hit it heads-up and stick the CB in front of his pocket and send the 14 the F outta there.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

could you weii diagram exactly what you did??
thanks

paplayer

Registered
This thread should serve as testament that one pocket should never be played for less than 40 or 50 a game..... It's akin to playing cheap hold'em. Anyone can get loose and cowboy playing cheap.

Yeah I agree, but I'm also the person that makes the right decisions playing $0.10/$0.20 FL HE because its the right play. And I welcome the wrong plays playing that game because I will win in the long run. Might not be much but I would rather win a little than lose a little.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you calling me stupid because I wouldn't kick two rails at my opponents game ball when its just as easy, if not easier, to move it other ways? If so, I guess you play too good for me sir.
Nope...I was with you on that one.

I'd love play anyone every game from there. especially someone w/ less thann 50 posts.
-coz you know posts are directly related to playing ability, right?!:eek: