Playing better without the measles CB

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
I always wondered what the difference was between all the cue balls so I sent an Aramith distributor on Ebay an email and asked them, here is the answer I got back, copy and pasted from my emails. Hopefully this will explain some of the differences........

THE BLUE DOT AND THE RED DOT ARE THE SAME EXCEPT FOR THE DOTS. THE DOT BALLS ARE MADE OUT OF THE SAME MATERIAL. THE OTHER 2 ARE MADE OUT OF DIFFERENT MATERIALS AND HIT DIFFERENTLY. THE RED CIRCLE IS USED ON DIAMOND TABLES AND IN MAJOR TOURNAMENTS THAT USE THE DIAMOND TABLES. THE RED LOGO WAS THE BALL OF CHOICE BEFORE PRO CUP ( 6 RED SPOTS ) TV BALL CAME OUT AND REPLACED IT. YOU WOULD HAVE TO HIT ONE OF THEM TO FEEL THE DIFFERENCE. THE GREEN ARAMITH LOGO AND GREEN COUGAR CUE BALL HIT MORE LIKE THE RED DOT CUE BALL AND ARE MAGNETIC CUE BALLS FOR COIN OP TABLES. THE OTHERS ARE NOT FOR COIN OP TABLES. THERE IS ALSO A ARAMITH CROWN STANDARD CUE BALL WHICH IS THERE CHEAPEST CUE BALL THAT HITS LIKE THE RED DOT.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I always wondered what the difference was between all the cue balls so I sent an Aramith distributor on Ebay an email and asked them, here is the answer I got back, copy and pasted from my emails. Hopefully this will explain some of the differences........

THE BLUE DOT AND THE RED DOT ARE THE SAME EXCEPT FOR THE DOTS. THE DOT BALLS ARE MADE OUT OF THE SAME MATERIAL. THE OTHER 2 ARE MADE OUT OF DIFFERENT MATERIALS AND HIT DIFFERENTLY. THE RED CIRCLE IS USED ON DIAMOND TABLES AND IN MAJOR TOURNAMENTS THAT USE THE DIAMOND TABLES. THE RED LOGO WAS THE BALL OF CHOICE BEFORE PRO CUP ( 6 RED SPOTS ) TV BALL CAME OUT AND REPLACED IT. YOU WOULD HAVE TO HIT ONE OF THEM TO FEEL THE DIFFERENCE. THE GREEN ARAMITH LOGO AND GREEN COUGAR CUE BALL HIT MORE LIKE THE RED DOT CUE BALL AND ARE MAGNETIC CUE BALLS FOR COIN OP TABLES. THE OTHERS ARE NOT FOR COIN OP TABLES. THERE IS ALSO A ARAMITH CROWN STANDARD CUE BALL WHICH IS THERE CHEAPEST CUE BALL THAT HITS LIKE THE RED DOT.
The problem with this response is that it doesn't say why or how one ball is different from another. Heavier, lighter, different surface, faster wear, different density profile, ... which of these is different and how does it affect play?

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't they just make a red circle ball with several red circles on it??????????

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
The problem with this response is that it doesn't say why or how one ball is different from another. Heavier, lighter, different surface, faster wear, different density profile, ... which of these is different and how does it affect play?

It DOES tell you the difference, it tells you the balls are made out of different material, which of course will affect the way it hits.

The red dot and blue dot are made from a phenolic resin. They are all 2 1/4" and weigh 6 ounces except for the green dot which has the magnet and I believe is 7 ounces.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It DOES tell you the difference, it tells you the balls are made out of different material, which of course will affect the way it hits.
But I think all of the big-table cue balls are made from phenolic resin.

I was wondering what the other differences were. For example, is there any significant difference between the red circle/dots balls as far as the manufacturer is concerned and how should those differences show up?

To the OP, here's something to try with the cue ball that seems harder to control: wax it slightly. Alternatively, rub it with a little (very little) silicone spray. If the ball seems to behave just like or more like the ball you prefer to play with, this will tell you it's just the surface of the ball that's important.