Anyone use aluminum radial pins?

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
I want to move the balance toward the butt on a cue. It has a stainless radial pin, and I'm thinking about having that changed to aluminum and then adding a weight bolt in the butt.

I don't recall ever seeing the aluminum radial pin mentioned on AZB. I'm wondering if there are any problems with them.

I appreciate any info you might have.

Thanks,
-Howard

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi I use aluminum radials on j/ps but for cues I use a G-10 radial , over a once difference from brass or stainless steel . Jim

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Thanks, Jim. The G-10 is an option, of course, but I'm interested in how the aluminum holds up.

By the way, the cue I'm modifying has some fine Jim Baxter j/ps with aluminum pins.
P51600592-1.jpg

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Jim. The G-10 is an option, of course, but I'm interested in how the aluminum holds up.

By the way, the cue I'm modifying has some fine Jim Baxter j/ps with aluminum pins.
P51600592-1.jpg

There is a few guys using Aluminum Radials, I've never heard them have any complaints.

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right now

I happen to be working on a 2 cue set ...Player and Break,that are both useing the aluminium radials.They went in great but the cues are not done yet.....They were also used for the weight.....Ray Weeks

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used them for over 10 years and they are as good as steel.

Try changing the pin before adding the weight bolt. You might find it was all you needed to do and weight bolt can be done any time.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before I would go with aluminum I'd first check to see if they make a titanium one - but that's just me...

TW

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Before I would go with aluminum I'd first check to see if they make a titanium one - but that's just me...

TW
I also agree that Titanium is the better choice. I even use it internally in my cues instead of aluminum.

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Thanks to all of you for your replies.

I don't know which pin I will wind up using - I haven't yet calculated how much weight I need to move. But, thanks to you gentlemen, I now know that the aluminum pin will be okay.

The knowledge available from experienced craftsmen is probably the best reason for frequenting AZB.

Thanks again,
-Howard

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Thanks to all of you for your replies.

The knowledge available from experienced craftsmen is probably the best reason for frequenting AZB.

Thanks again,
-Howard

And THANK YOU SIR for that statement.
That's the primary reason for our offering to help.
Even a junkyard dog needs a pat on the head occasionally.
It feels good to be appreciated.

KJ

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Two more cuemakers who use aluminum radial pins are Keith Josey and Bill Dominiak.