Bill Schick production quantity?

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
I have read the Blue Book entries, and as much as I could find on Bill Schick. I know that today he builds roughly ten cues a year, and of those ten the vast majority are for collectors and probably never come in contact with chalk.

But what were his production totals in his prime? Any wild ideas as to how many Schick cues are out there? The man has been building cues for decades. And even at only 10 a year for 30 years that makes about 300 cues out there. And I'm assuming there was a point when he was really churning them out to pay the bills before he could fetch a quick 10,000 for a new fancy cue.

Anybody have any more insight on this builder other than the Blue Book blurb on him?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I have read the Blue Book entries, and as much as I could find on Bill Schick. I know that today he builds roughly ten cues a year, and of those ten the vast majority are for collectors and probably never come in contact with chalk.

But what were his production totals in his prime? Any wild ideas as to how many Schick cues are out there? The man has been building cues for decades. And even at only 10 a year for 30 years that makes about 300 cues out there. And I'm assuming there was a point when he was really churning them out to pay the bills before he could fetch a quick 10,000 for a new fancy cue.

Anybody have any more insight on this builder other than the Blue Book blurb on him?

What insight are you looking for?

He is approximately 60 years of age, maybe a little older, seems to be in good health as of a few years ago when I saw him in Shreveport, Louisiana which is where his pool hall is located. You may also use the Search feature and search using "Schick" and that way you may find out more information.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the vast majority are for collectors and probably never come in contact with chalk.

What you say may be true, but it is too bad. Nobody makes a better playing cue than Bill. Mine sees a lot of chalk.

Sorry, I don't know how many he has made.

Greg

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill started building cues in the early mid 70's. I do not know how many he made in his life but I do know he is very particular about his cues and I am pretty sure he bought up alot of the early stuff once he got going and had a good reputation. I do not know if it was aesthetics or hit but he pulled alot of his early work out of the market at his own expense.

I have a Schick and it plays real good it has seen plenty of chalk.

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
What insight are you looking for?

He is approximately 60 years of age, maybe a little older, seems to be in good health as of a few years ago when I saw him in Shreveport, Louisiana which is where his pool hall is located. You may also use the Search feature and search using "Schick" and that way you may find out more information.

I have all the basic information that is on the IndyQ biography and I also have the Blue Book of cues which outlines his basic career. And I have read what I could find with the search button here...which is a lot. \All of them entertaining and informative. I guess to be more specific the question is, "About how many cues a year did Bil Schick make in his prime?"

If the answer isn't out there, then oh well. I tried.

Thanks guys.

I own a Schick that gets plenty of chalk. I just happen to know that these days the people that commission his cues are largely collectors/investors.

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
My Schick has seen plenty of chalk over the years since he made it for me back in '90, but sadly not as much lately. I hope to get back on a "routine" one of these days.

I would suggest contacting him directly. He's a great guy and very approachable. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer your questions.

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many cues?

" I’ve had many people ask this very question , instead of a guess that would probably be way off ,
at some point one rainy week-end I’ll dig out all the old order books and give an actuate count . "
Bill Schick

http://billschick.weebly.com/

JoeyA

Silver Member
I have all the basic information that is on the IndyQ biography and I also have the Blue Book of cues which outlines his basic career. And I have read what I could find with the search button here...which is a lot. \All of them entertaining and informative. I guess to be more specific the question is, "About how many cues a year did Bil Schick make in his prime?"

If the answer isn't out there, then oh well. I tried.

Thanks guys.

I own a Schick that gets plenty of chalk. I just happen to know that these days the people that commission his cues are largely collectors/investors.

I could pull a number out of the air and state, 50 a year, 70 a year, 100 a year etc. but the truth is the only one who knows that is Bill Shick.

Call Bill if you truly want to know the answer but you've got my curiosity up.

Would you mind telling me why you want to know how many cues Bill made in his prime?

Thanks,

pocono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schick Cues

I don't know how many he made either. I do know I want to buy one with a flat face 3/8 x 10 ivory joint around 19 ounces.

JoeyA

Silver Member
Want to purchase a Bill Shick cue......

I don't know how many he made either. I do know I want to buy one with a flat face 3/8 x 10 ivory joint around 19 ounces.

Ok, let's see if we can help you out. What price range do you want to pay?

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
I could pull a number out of the air and state, 50 a year, 70 a year, 100 a year etc. but the truth is the only one who knows that is Bill Shick.

Call Bill if you truly want to know the answer but you've got my curiosity up.

Would you mind telling me why you want to know how many cues Bill made in his prime?

Thanks,

Just curiosity. I recently watched the TAR DVD "cuemaker's roundtable" where a number of the world's premiere cue makers are there. it's a somewhat hectic and terribly moderated discussion, but Bill Schick was one of the most soft-spoken at the table.

Since he is a hall of fame maker I wondered what his totals were. I know that his prime building years were a few years before the current group od builders. I also know he makes almost everything on his cue entirely in-house. I just wondered what the production totals of a hall of fame maker from the earlier years of cue making was. Production these days is a lot more stream-lined than the past. The internet is the information super-highway, whereas in the early 90's that just was not the case.

Looks like Bill is unsure of the answer too. lol

I am not looking to buy a Schick. I have one and that's all I can afford.

pocono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill Schick

You are a lucky man, having a Schick. I'll tell you a story. Back in 1992 my wife and I had dinner with Bill, his wife and a few other people. I believe it was a cue show in Baltimore. Bill brought about six cues or so with him, he sold every cue the night before the show started. I bought one of those cues and I placed a order for a new one. I waited almost four to five years before I received the cue. I don't think is yearly production was that high in the nineteis. He was spending quite some time designing and opening his pool room. Give Bill a call, he is a easy person to speak with.

JoeyA My budget is $4000/4500 for a Schick player

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL

It is my understanding that Bill has or is building the last of his cues.

IMO, Bill's cues are the best of all cuemakers. I have one, and it is my favorite cue. I have played with it, the shafts have the most amazing ringcounts. The veneers and inlays are beyond reproach.

I challenge anyone to take a Schick veneer cue and put it next to ANY other cuemaker and then tell me who is the best cuemaker.

Ken

SchickCue003.jpg

SchickCue005.jpg

SchickCue006.jpg

SchickCue007.jpg

SchickCue009.jpg

SchickCue013.jpg

Last edited:

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
That's a beautiful Schick! I love it! Very classical, and yet you can tell it's a Schick by the butt sleeve. Not just the name, but the design inlays. Maybe I'll post picks of my player later tonight.

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
Here's my Bill Schick. A 1994. Just totally love it. The leather wrap took some getting used to, both aesthetically as well as in use, but now I wouldn't have it any other way. It's a very simple fancy cue or an extremely elegant player. Either way I use it a few times a week. There's mojo in this thing for sure. Tough to tell in the pictures, but the ring work is gold. Just a truly elegant beautiful cue. It looks like it belongs in a museum, but it belongs on a pool table. :)

I named it "Ahab" after a good run of balls I had to win from behind. "I am Ahab!"

1b92184d0.jpg

1b93f19e0.jpg

1ba140d90.jpg

1b9d38010.jpg

1b94abd60.jpg

JoeyA

Silver Member
You are a lucky man, having a Schick. I'll tell you a story. Back in 1992 my wife and I had dinner with Bill, his wife and a few other people. I believe it was a cue show in Baltimore. Bill brought about six cues or so with him, he sold every cue the night before the show started. I bought one of those cues and I placed a order for a new one. I waited almost four to five years before I received the cue. I don't think is yearly production was that high in the nineteis. He was spending quite some time designing and opening his pool room. Give Bill a call, he is a easy person to speak with.

JoeyA My budget is $4000/4500 for a Schick player

Well alright then...Anyone have a Bill Shick cue for sale for Pocono

If you don't have one by the 18-19th of this month, call into the BigTruck show which will be in New Orleans for the Mardi Gras at the Big Easy tournament. Bill Shick is from the Louisiana area so maybe someone down here will have one for sale. We'll get the word out on the show and see if we can find you something in that budget range. It ought to look VERY nice for that price range, exceptional is a better word.

Good hunting,

JoeyA

Silver Member
Here's my Bill Schick. A 1994. Just totally love it. The leather wrap took some getting used to, both aesthetically as well as in use, but now I wouldn't have it any other way. It's a very simple fancy cue or an extremely elegant player. Either way I use it a few times a week. There's mojo in this thing for sure. Tough to tell in the pictures, but the ring work is gold. Just a truly elegant beautiful cue. It looks like it belongs in a museum, but it belongs on a pool table. :)

I named it "Ahab" after a good run of balls I had to win from behind. "I am Ahab!"

1b92184d0.jpg

1b93f19e0.jpg

1ba140d90.jpg

1b9d38010.jpg

1b94abd60.jpg

I sent you a "REP" note for your photos.

pocono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schick Cue

Well alright then...Anyone have a Bill Shick cue for sale for Pocono

If you don't have one by the 18-19th of this month, call into the BigTruck show which will be in New Orleans for the Mardi Gras at the Big Easy tournament. Bill Shick is from the Louisiana area so maybe someone down here will have one for sale. We'll get the word out on the show and see if we can find you something in that budget range. It ought to look VERY nice for that price range, exceptional is a better word.

Good hunting,

Thank you JoeyA