Free Tip: Understanding the Pocket and Pocket Speed

hillbilly

Pro Player
Understanding the Pocket and Pocket Speed...

Here's my next free tip. http://www.hillbillyonthehill.com/index.php?cID=261

Alot of players really don't understand how to use the pocket to get position. So I put this little tip together to give you a better understanding. Also I have a drill for you.

One thing that most all great players do more and better than the amateurs, they use angle to travel different distances and use pocket speed whenever it is available. Me personally, I don't like to hit it hard.

Hope this helps yall,
Charlie "Hillbilly" Bryant :thumbup:

Online rentals:
Smack em Hard "Breaking the Hillbilly Way"
Rock and Roll Speed Control
http://www.hillbillyonthehill.com/index.php/videos/online-rentals/

Last edited:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Understanding the Pocket and Pocket Speed...

Here's my next free tip. http://www.hillbillyonthehill.com/index.php?cID=261

Alot of players really don't understand how to use the pocket to get position. So I put this little tip together to give you a better understanding. Also I have a drill for you.

One thing that most all great players do more and better than the amateurs, they use angle to travel different distances and use pocket speed whenever it is available. Me personally, I don't like to hit it hard.

Hope this helps yall,
Charlie "Hillbilly" Bryant :thumbup:

Online rentals:
Smack em Hard "Breaking the Hillbilly Way"
Rock and Roll Speed Control
http://www.hillbillyonthehill.com/index.php/videos/online-rentals/

Nice video Mr Bryant.Thanks for you're time and sharing some of you're knowledge.I like the way you teach,you explain things very well.

hillbilly

Pro Player
Teaching

Nice video Mr Bryant.Thanks for you're time and sharing some of you're knowledge.I like the way you teach,you explain things very well.

Thanks. The reason I have the lessons broken down into individual topics is so that I can fit as much info in as possible, offer drills and notes and still keep it affordable. I have so much to teach that if I tried to fit it all into one DVD, it would be over a week long and would cost more than most people want to pay.

:grin: Charlie Bryant

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Thank you for sharing this video. I now understand the importance of pocket speed, and when its needed.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Hillbilly nice video.

Charlie you have a long backswing on many shots in this video. I find a long backswing induces me to shoot firmer / faster than needed especially under pressure. I try to control my speed via my back swing length especially on soft shots. What is your thoughts on backswing length to control ball speed.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great video. It definitely reinforces some of the things I forget to think about especially on shots down the rail where the center of the pocket changes. I believe our subconscious still sees the back of the pocket as being the center even though the center needs to shift. This video can help lots of players who constantly drives balls into the rail short of the pocket.

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hillbilly,

I rented ur speed control video last night and really enjoyed it. May I make a humble suggestion for future videos? U might want to consider using a lavelier mic to eliminate the echo. (I assume u are using the mic on the camera for audio?) Ur voice is still understandable but I just think the quality would improve greatly by eliminating the reverb caused by the room.

Regardless, I look forward to ur nxt video :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

theeviltwin69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks again Hillbilly,I have a question for you,I believe we have a mutual friend I'm trying contact,and was wondering if you could help me find and contact him?If so please PM me thanks. Stretch

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I believe our subconscious still sees the back of the pocket as being the center even though the center needs to shift.
I've heard this many times over the years, but I've never understood it. My conscious and my subconscious have always seen the pocket mouth as the target. When you walk into a room, do you have to remind yourself to use the door?

pj <- meaning the "royal you", of course
chgo

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
This is a great tip we're getting free. With todays tight pockets, pro cut rails, and deep shelves its a must to be very good at pocket speed. Thanks HB. Johnnyt

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard this many times over the years, but I've never understood it. My conscious and my subconscious have always seen the pocket mouth as the target. When you walk into a room, do you have to remind yourself to use the door?

pj <- meaning the "royal you", of course
chgo

I do not understand what your analogy has to do with the situation. If you look down the rail on a tight table the center of the pocket is not the center of the mouth. It is more toward the pocket facing. If you aim toward the center of the mouth, you will drive the object ball into the rail.

hillbilly

Pro Player
Thanks Hillbilly nice video.

Charlie you have a long backswing on many shots in this video. I find a long backswing induces me to shoot firmer / faster than needed especially under pressure. I try to control my speed via my back swing length especially on soft shots. What is your thoughts on backswing length to control ball speed.

I go into more detail about "back swing" and follow through in the Speed Control Video in the Online Rentals section of my website. The pocket speed free tip is just to open your eyes to the size of the pocket and the speed that the object ball travels into the pocket.

Thank you for the feedback and I hope it still helped you some.

hillbilly

Pro Player
Hillbilly,

I rented ur speed control video last night and really enjoyed it. May I make a humble suggestion for future videos? U might want to consider using a lavelier mic to eliminate the echo. (I assume u are using the mic on the camera for audio?) Ur voice is still understandable but I just think the quality would improve greatly by eliminating the reverb caused by the room.

Regardless, I look forward to ur nxt video :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

I have actually received a couple emails about this and right now, we are filming on a very small budget. We are working on ways of cutting the echo down in the room and will look into mics in the near future. Thanks for the suggestion and the support. :thumbup:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
am I the only one not seeing a video here? Just looks blank to me.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-04-16 at 1.31.55 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-04-16 at 1.31.55 PM.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 304