is jumping allowed in 8 ball?

Henry Wong

Registered
Is jumping the CB an optional ruling dependent on the tournament or league committee or is it always forbidden and not part of 8 ball?

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Is jumping the CB an optional ruling dependent on the tournament or league committee or is it always forbidden and not part of 8 ball?

Jumping is allowed in APA but you cannot use a jump or break cue. You must use your "regular shooting cue". You must jump by hitting down at an angle, scooping under the cue ball is not allowed. It is a foul if the ferrule of the cue hits the cue ball.

Kim

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Jumping and jump cues are allowed in BCAPL play. As far as I know there is no exclusion under the WPA rules either, although there might be a question about the legality of phenolic/G-10 in regards to tip material.

Also, there are specs for cues and obviously a jump cue must be within these specs.

doug4knfpu

Registered
Jumping and jump cues are allowed in BCAPL play. As far as I know there is no exclusion under the WPA rules either, although there might be a question about the legality of phenolic/G-10 in regards to tip material.

Also, there are specs for cues and obviously a jump cue must be within these specs.

Yea, jumping has always been allowed when i've played.

McKinneyMiner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played in events where even though the tournament rules would allow jump shots, a house rule of "No Jump Shots" was in effect and there was no jumping...

Gogafem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 8 ball league where I play it's allowed... There may be a certain restriction about this for some leagues/tournaments though... Oh and you can't scoop under the cue ball, as then you'll be making contact with your ferrule, which is a foul. You have to elevate your cue at an angle and jump it like that.

Henry Wong

Registered
Jumping in Shanghai league play

Thanks for your responses. I play in the Shanghai 8 Ball Bar League and jumping is up to the divisional captains. On the west side of the Huangpu River some of the divisions allow it and most of the divisions on the east side do not. That's partly because many of the bar players don't do it properly. The division I'm in most players carry jump cues. The league is made up of 8 divisions with 48 teams. The good thing is we play by WPA rules and many bars post the league rules near their pool table area. This eliminates a lot of arguments around the table between the Brits and Aussies who only know Black Ball rules and other expats and locals. Visit our website at www.southside8ball.leaguerepublic.com

hw

Gogafem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on the tournament/league. Here we usually allow jumping with a jump or break cue.

wiredconcepts

Registered
Thanks for your responses. I play in the Shanghai 8 Ball Bar League and jumping is up to the divisional captains. On the west side of the Huangpu River some of the divisions allow it and most of the divisions on the east side do not. That's partly because many of the bar players don't do it properly. The division I'm in most players carry jump cues. The league is made up of 8 divisions with 48 teams. The good thing is we play by WPA rules and many bars post the league rules near their pool table area. This eliminates a lot of arguments around the table between the Brits and Aussies who only know Black Ball rules and other expats and locals. Visit our website at

hw

Man I wish they would post the rules around pool tables here lots of local hack jabs trying to claim errant rules is very annoying. I wish we also had a serious league in our area like yours.