SS 360 Shaft Review and Comparison to Z2 and Pro X

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I received an email from Bob Danielson at BD cues in Benton, Washington, with a request to test his SS 360 shaft. I agreed and asked Bob to send me a shaft comparable to my playing shaft, the 11.75mm Tiger Pro X, which is also in the same class as the market leader, the Predator Z2.

A few weeks later, the SS 360 came in. Since I really wasn't familiar with BD cues, or knew anything about them, I had absolutely no expectations. I did not expect a high tech LD shaft comparable to the best shafts out there, but that's what I got.

Appearance: First of all, I was impressed with the quality and appearance of the shaft. It is a six piece laminated shaft with pieces cut in pie shape fashion. If it weren't for the grain and color differences, the glue lines would be nearly invisible. The wood grain is a little darker than the typical maple shaft. Bob prefers maple that is not vacuum dried, so the appearance is more natural. The ferrule is Juma, 5/8" long - which is not typical to the current trend of very short ferrules. The tip is a Kamui.

Overall, the shaft comes off as a professionally manufactured shaft and is very well done.

Taper and weight: This cue has a very long, thin taper. It only gains .75mm the first 12" from the tip, versus 1.65mm for the Z2 and 2mm for the Pro X. Why does this matter? This is more of a taper one would find on a 13mm shaft. The smaller tipped shafts generally have a steeper taper, to increase stiffness and mass, while still keeping weight off the last few inches - to keep the squirt down.

Visually, one has to adjust to the long thin shaft, and a shaft tapered this way tends to be more flexible and lighter. As such the SS 360 weighs in at 3.5 ounces, similar to a Z2 but not the 3.8 to 4.0 ounces I prefer.

Squirt: The shaft is low squirt, very manageable. I didn't have to adjust much from my Tiger Pro X. I measured the pivot point at approximately 18.5", which would give it about the same squirt as a Predator 314. The Pro X and Z2 are in the approximately 21" + range.

Playability and Feel: First of all, the shaft is very solid. It plays great, transmits feel like a conventional shaft, and can pull off just about anything. It is more solid than a Z2 and is a little more flexible than my Pro X - which makes it a fairly lively shaft. In fact the shaft gets great spin and cue ball action.

That being said, I believe this shaft would be even better in a 12.75mm to 13 mm version. I believe the taper and dimensions are more appropriate to a thicker shaft. I would like to see an altered taper on shafts with the smaller tip.

If you want low squirt in a lively shaft that is very well built, and like a long taper, then this is your shaft! For $160, it is a good deal and Bob is great to deal with:

http://www.bdcuesandcomix.com/category/1

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Here's a picture, the Z2 is on the left, the SS360 is in the center, and the Pro X is on the right. Note the taper on the SS 360 - it's a real hot rod for you custom guys!

Attachments

• Shafts, Z,SS,ProX.jpg
    Shafts, Z,SS,ProX.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 5,387
  • ss360 logo.jpg
    ss360 logo.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 5,174

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
Is the shaft hollowed out in the front to reduce the mass? Or plugged in with other material like foam or fiber glass?

And, was that Kamui black or brown tip?

What is the pin configuration for the test shaft? Any shaft with brass inserts in them would be slightly higher. 3.5 oz for brass inserted shaft is fairly light, IMHO. I guess I'd need the cuemaker to provide his input whether the shaft provided to you is his "standard" weight and whether it can be increased or not.

I remember when OB1 first came out, they could not get non-brass insert shafts up to 4 oz.

P.S. What does SS stand for?

poolshooter74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have one of his cues on order, with the sweet spot 360 shaft(ss360.)
i believe it is hollow from tip to end of shaft, no plugs, just not as big of a hole as the predators. he offers a wide selection of tips, mine is coming with a kamui black medium. he frequents az, so once he sees this im sure he will be happy to answer your ?'s.

louis

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, Thanks once again to Chris for taking the time to evaluate one of my shafts. Greatly appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

Brown Kamui M. Shaft is not plugged with any thing and has a Juma ferrule. Joint was 3/8x10 so yes the weight with an insert would increase. Also, as noted, the taper at this ferrule diameter can be increased to also add some weight and stiffness. Joint diameters also vary based on what is ordered, standard size being .840 but can make them any size.

The SS stands for SweetSpot360*.

Many thanks, Bob

TheThaiger

Banned
Bob, this may be standard practice, but why is a blank $65 and one with an insert $160? Seems like a big difference.

TheThaiger

Banned
I received an email from Bob Danielson at BD cues in Benton, Washington, with a request to test his SS 360 shaft. I agreed and asked Bob to send me a shaft comparable to my playing shaft, the 11.75mm Tiger Pro X, which is also in the same class as the market leader, the Predator Z2.

A few weeks later, the SS 360 came in. Since I really wasn't familiar with BD cues, or knew anything about them, I had absolutely no expectations. I did not expect a high tech LD shaft comparable to the best shafts out there, but that's what I got.

Appearance: First of all, I was impressed with the quality and appearance of the shaft. It is a six piece laminated shaft with pieces cut in pie shape fashion. If it weren't for the grain and color differences, the glue lines would be nearly invisible. The wood grain is a little darker than the typical maple shaft. Bob prefers maple that is not vacuum dried, so the appearance is more natural. The ferrule is Juma, 5/8" long - which is not typical to the current trend of very short ferrules. The tip is a Kamui.

Overall, the shaft comes off as a professionally manufactured shaft and is very well done.

Taper and weight: This cue has a very long, thin taper. It only gains .75mm the first 12" from the tip, versus 1.65mm for the Z2 and 2mm for the Pro X. Why does this matter? This is more of a taper one would find on a 13mm shaft. The smaller tipped shafts generally have a steeper taper, to increase stiffness and mass, while still keeping weight off the last few inches - to keep the squirt down.

Visually, one has to adjust to the long thin shaft, and a shaft tapered this way tends to be more flexible and lighter. As such the SS 360 weighs in at 3.5 ounces, similar to a Z2 but not the 3.8 to 4.0 ounces I prefer.

Squirt: The shaft is low squirt, very manageable. I didn't have to adjust much from my Tiger Pro X. I measured the pivot point at approximately 18.5", which would give it about the same squirt as a Predator 314. The Pro X and Z2 are in the approximately 21" + range.

Playability and Feel: First of all, the shaft is very solid. It plays great, transmits feel like a conventional shaft, and can pull off just about anything. It is more solid than a Z2 and is a little more flexible than my Pro X - which makes it a fairly lively shaft. In fact the shaft gets great spin and cue ball action.

That being said, I believe this shaft would be even better in a 12.75mm to 13 mm version. I believe the taper and dimensions are more appropriate to a thicker shaft. I would like to see an altered taper on shafts with the smaller tip.

If you want low squirt in a lively shaft that is very well built, and like a long taper, then this is your shaft! For $160, it is a good deal and Bob is great to deal with:

http://www.bdcuesandcomix.com/category/1

Thanks for that - always interesting to get reviews of products that aren't mainstream.

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somewhat longer for the next 8 weeks as I am working out of town during the week and only home on weekends. It also depends on what ferrule diameter you wish, smaller = longer. Generally 2/3 weeks. If you want matching trim rings = longer.
Sometime, like right now, I have a couple of finished shafts on hand. If you like 12.75mm ferrule I can cut the threads or install an insert tomorrow for shipment Monday. Most shafts are finished to order, not sitting on a shelf waiting.

Would that be Thunder Bay, Ontario?

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somewhat longer for the next 8 weeks as I am working out of town during the week and only home on weekends. It also depends on what ferrule diameter you wish, smaller = longer. Generally 2/3 weeks. If you want matching trim rings = longer.
Sometime, like right now, I have a couple of finished shafts on hand. If you like 12.75mm ferrule I can cut the threads or install an insert tomorrow for shipment Monday. Most shafts are finished to order, not sitting on a shelf waiting.

Would that be Thunder Bay, Ontario?

How about 12.75, 5/8 juma capped ferrule, kamui med. brown tip, 3/8 10, black collar, not sure about the joint, I have to check, I believe it is .850. got any like that?

Thunder Bay Ontario.....yes sir

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about 12.75, 5/8 juma capped ferrule, kamui med. brown tip, 3/8 10, black collar, not sure about the joint, I have to check, I believe it is .850. got any like that?

Thunder Bay Ontario.....yes sir

.842" is the closest I have to joint size.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Keep the info coming, Id like to hear more. Im not a fan of ld shafts but this seems to be a happy medium between the two.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Some players prefer a long. slight taper and go to great lenghts to have them made - if so, this is the right style of LD shaft for you. You can tell from the photo above if it matches what you like.

I know some excellent players who have custom shafts turned down similar to this. The quality is about as good as you'll find. The shaft plays every bit as good as a conventional shaft but is low squirt. I would like to try one that is a little thicker, say 12.5 mm. If I was in the market for that, I would definitely order one.

Chris

Last edited:

charlieeeh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone compare this with the 314-2? The Z tends to hit a bit stiff, but the 314-2 has much more action. How comparable is the SS360 with it?

RSCA HOOLIGAN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone compare this with the 314-2? The Z tends to hit a bit stiff, but the 314-2 has much more action. How comparable is the SS360 with it?

I tested the SS360 at 12mm and the deflection was less than the 314-2 , so this shaft at 12,75mm will have the same defection as the 314-2 but with a lot more feedback .
It's the first LD shaft i played with ( and i tested almost all of them ) where you can actually feel what your doing with the white , hard to explain .
The only shaft that comes close is the MEZZ hybrid pro II but here you hear that ping sound of the carbon core wich i don't like , and it's twice the price of the SS360 .
For all you LD fans this is the real deal , it's not only one of the cheapest but it's just one of the best shafts out there .

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
The only shaft that comes close is the MEZZ hybrid pro II but here you hear that ping sound of the carbon core wich i don't like , and it's twice the price of the SS360 .
For all you LD fans this is the real deal , it's not only one of the cheapest but it's just one of the best shafts out there .

I've tried Mezz Hybrid Pro II shaft and could not make a ball and the swerve effect was killing me. Hybrid Alpha shaft works better for me but I have been playing with stiff conventional shafts for last few years. Awhile ago, I used to play with Mezz WD700 shaft which I also like more than most LD shafts.

I recent got old of 314-2, Z shaft and OB Classic Pro shafts and am testing them. So far, I like the feel of OB Classic Pro the best of three.

What are swerves on SS360 like?

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been shooting my SS360 for about 3 days on my D10. I had Bob turn it down to 11.75 like my i3. I am shooting about 2 years so I'm no expert. I can only compair it to my i3. It is .015oz lighter than the i3 on my postal scale and it is slightly thinner in the bridge area.

It gives more feedback than my i3 and I get more spin than my i3 and that is with a well worn Kumuri black SS on the i3. I have a Kumuri original soft on the SS360. It is a great shooting shaft, the i3 will be my backup.

As a side note I had one of the top shooters at the clubhouse try it today. He shoots an old Predator with a 12mm 314 shaft. He loved my D10/ SS360 cue.. It took him a while to hand it back to me.