My Jim Pierce experience

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I began communicating with Jim Pierce in late November of 2011 in regards to building a cue for me. I told him what it was I was looking for and he added some suggestions of his own. We quickly came to an agreement and I offered to send a 50% down payment, with the rest due upon completion.
Over the next few weeks he sent me photos of wood, from which I selected some pieces, and he stated that he would begin work on the cue.
Shortly after beginning work on the cue he ended up getting quite sick and took some time off from the shop. He did call me and let me know that there would be some delay and I wasnt in a rush to get the cue so I was fine with that. I told him that his health was more important that any cue anyways.

Not long after this there was some serious accusations against Jim on these forums regarding his workmanship and his integrity. I have to admit I was a little concerned, as I had never had any dealings with him before. After not hearing much from him for a while I emailed Jim and he called me and let me know what was going on. We spoke for quite a while and he apologized for the delays but assured me that my cue would be a beauty.

After that I pretty much just left it up to Jim to keep me posted. He texted me every so often to update progress and near the end just to be sure on some minor details. Originally Jim had guessed that the cue would be done by spring and in the end I got the cue mid August. It was worth the wait and it is a thing of beauty indeed.

Jim did a wonderful job on the cue and did a good job of keeping me informed throughout the process. I cant say that it all went as planned but I commend him for his efforts and his communication especially when his integrity was in question. To be fair, when it was all said and done it really didnt take that long to get the cue. Ive waited a lot longer for other cues in the past.
I know others may have different points of view but from my perspective Jim Pierce is a great guy to deal with and I wouldnt hesitate to order another cue from him in the future.
The cue is the second from the bottom on this thread and these pictures dont do it justice. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=3657536#post3657536

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm still smarting over the screwing I got from Jim Pierce. The thing about Pierce is that he comes across as the nicest guy in the world, however if things go wrong he gets not so nice.

Consider yourself lucky that things worked out. The endless delays did not bother me that much, but the lousy workmanship did.

Anyone can pm me if they have any questions.

Here the thread where I detail the butcher job that Jim did on my cue.....

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=267593

Last edited:

JonTravisTaylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kudos to you sir...I have worked with Jim on a number of projects and usually it is ME that changes some details mid stream which affects the time frame! LOL! But Jim has always treated me with great respect and he makes a HIGH quality cue...unfortunately its easy for some people to sling trash around, but that is the world live in....you know the old saying "there is no such thing as bad publicity!" Jim's cue's and passion speak for themselves above and beyond the nay-sayer's...

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kudos to you sir...I have worked with Jim on a number of projects and usually it is ME that changes some details mid stream which affects the time frame! LOL! But Jim has always treated me with great respect and he makes a HIGH quality cue...unfortunately its easy for some people to sling trash around, but that is the world live in....you know the old saying "there is no such thing as bad publicity!" Jim's cue's and passion speak for themselves above and beyond the nay-sayer's...

Good o'l Jon Travis to the rescue, LOL.

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm still smarting over the screwing I got from Jim Pierce. The thing about Pierce is that he comes across as the nicest guy in the world, however if things go wrong he gets not so nice.

Consider yourself lucky that things worked out. The endless delays did not bother me that much, but the lousy workmanship did.

Anyone can pm me if they have any questions.

---------------------------------------

Last edited:

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After posting this I realized its more of review of the entire transaction rather than a cue review. So I will add the following:
Upon receiving the cue I first had a good look at it and the cue looked awesome. The woods used had a lot of awesome figure and went well together. The butt and shaft fit perfectly and the finish was exceptional and smooth as glass. One shaft was fairly light in color and one was a fair bit darker.

Once I had a chance to hit with it I noticed immediately that it was a solid cue with fairly stiff hitting characteristics. I felt comfortable with the taper but it will take some time to adjust to the hit since I have been playing with the same setup for years so anything different feels, well...different.

Overall the cue is exactly what I ordered and I have nothing to complain about. If others feel they need to complain about something please refrain from using my review thread to do so. Thank you.

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
After posting this I realized its more of review of the entire transaction rather than a cue review. So I will add the following:
Upon receiving the cue I first had a good look at it and the cue looked awesome. The woods used had a lot of awesome figure and went well together. The butt and shaft fit perfectly and the finish was exceptional and smooth as glass. One shaft was fairly light in color and one was a fair bit darker.

Once I had a chance to hit with it I noticed immediately that it was a solid cue with fairly stiff hitting characteristics. I felt comfortable with the taper but it will take some time to adjust to the hit since I have been playing with the same setup for years so anything different feels, well...different.

Overall the cue is exactly what I ordered and I have nothing to complain about. If others feel they need to complain about something please refrain from using my review thread to do so. Thank you.

I have two Pierce cues and also have no complaints. They both have great balance, hit, fit and finish. I also have one of his bowling alley shafts that I put on a one piece G-10 tip/ferrule. It jumps a ball as easy as a hot knife through butter.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've dealt with Tommy 1351 a few times and is one of the nicest guys
I've ever dealt with.He deals alot with Jim and have always believed
if Jim wasn't a great guy to work with,Tommy would never deal with
him.And Jim does one of the best finishes on a cue I've ever seen.
Congrats on your weapon:smile:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Consider yourself lucky that things worked out.

I have read a great deal about that situation and I do not believe I have ever commented.

I will now.

This thread seemed like a straightforward review of both the transaction and the cue. No more, no less.

As for the "lucky" comment. I have to say that one might want to think that you were unlucky rather than this buyer being lucky.

It's all in the perspective I guess.

chippyboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with doc. I myself have gotten nothing but excellent customer service from Jim. Only comment is his timeframe is far from consistent but the quality of his craftsmanship make it worth the extra wait.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read a great deal about that situation and I do not believe I have ever commented.

I will now.

This thread seemed like a straightforward review of both the transaction and the cue. No more, no less.

As for the "lucky" comment. I have to say that one might want to think that you were unlucky rather than this buyer being lucky.

It's all in the perspective I guess.

Yah, maybe I was unlucky. But then again, there were several others that pm'ed me with a similar experiance that were also "unlucky". When you are burned like I was, Pierce cues look like junk to me. Since this is a Pierce cue review thread and a public forum, I feel I have a right to post my view of his cues and his treatment of a customer .

As to the OP, I truly am glad that things worked out. I would not want what happened to me, to happen to others. Hence my post.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slandermander said:
Yah, maybe I was unlucky.
Anyone who does a search of the AZB username, Salamander, will see that you seem to be consistently "unlucky" when dealing with different cuemakers. Perhaps the common denominator is you.

In addition, you see fit to use this forum as a way to relentlessly bash, blackmail, and extort those same cuemakers into submission in a pathetic attempt to get free labor, discounted services, etc.

And, when you don't get what you want, you continue to carry on like you're doing here, in other people's threads, just like a spoiled little child who thinks he can have everything his own way.

Personally, I think you are a very sick individual and I feel truly sorry for any cuemaker who suffers the misfortune of dealing with someone like yourself.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks you for your opinion Penguin. You strike me as a nice, warm kind hearted individual, who knows about my dealings with Pierce as if you were intimately involved. :smile:

thanks everyone for all your enquiries about my dealing with Pierce. I always welcome any questions and am more than pleased to talk to you personally. Anybody else who wants to communicate is welcome to pm me. Thanks, Doug

Anyone who does a search of the AZB username, Salamander, will see that you seem to be consistently "unlucky" when dealing with different cuemakers. Perhaps the common denominator is you.

In addition, you see fit to use this forum as a way to relentlessly bash, blackmail, and extort those same cuemakers into submission in a pathetic attempt to get free labor, discounted services, etc.

And, when you don't get what you want, you continue to carry on like you're doing here, in other people's threads, just like a spoiled little child who thinks he can have everything his own way.

Personally, I think you are a very sick individual and I feel truly sorry for any cuemaker who suffers the misfortune of dealing with someone like yourself.

Last edited:

devorator

Ipoolmyheart@thetable
Silver Member
This is not the place and the time to bash someone like this. Let's respect the OP and his nice piece of wood.
Tho, I agree with you.
I read about 40 pages of barking about JPierce's mistakes...I had enough ...Jim is a straight up guy and his services are top notch, done with this!
I hate haters...from the bottom of my heart.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I began communicating with Jim Pierce in late November of 2011 in regards to building a cue for me. I told him what it was I was looking for and he added some suggestions of his own. We quickly came to an agreement and I offered to send a 50% down payment, with the rest due upon completion.
Over the next few weeks he sent me photos of wood, from which I selected some pieces, and he stated that he would begin work on the cue.
Shortly after beginning work on the cue he ended up getting quite sick and took some time off from the shop. He did call me and let me know that there would be some delay and I wasnt in a rush to get the cue so I was fine with that. I told him that his health was more important that any cue anyways.

Not long after this there was some serious accusations against Jim on these forums regarding his workmanship and his integrity. I have to admit I was a little concerned, as I had never had any dealings with him before. After not hearing much from him for a while I emailed Jim and he called me and let me know what was going on. We spoke for quite a while and he apologized for the delays but assured me that my cue would be a beauty.

After that I pretty much just left it up to Jim to keep me posted. He texted me every so often to update progress and near the end just to be sure on some minor details. Originally Jim had guessed that the cue would be done by spring and in the end I got the cue mid August. It was worth the wait and it is a thing of beauty indeed.

Jim did a wonderful job on the cue and did a good job of keeping me informed throughout the process. I cant say that it all went as planned but I commend him for his efforts and his communication especially when his integrity was in question. To be fair, when it was all said and done it really didnt take that long to get the cue. Ive waited a lot longer for other cues in the past.
I know others may have different points of view but from my perspective Jim Pierce is a great guy to deal with and I wouldnt hesitate to order another cue from him in the future.
The cue is the second from the bottom on this thread and these pictures dont do it justice. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=3657536#post3657536

i'm glad to hear this. i know jim personally and honestly i can't imagine him doing anyone wrong. he's a honest guy that loves playing pool and building cues.

he's creative and his cues just keep getting better looking and playing better.

for everyone that's had a problem with jim i bet it's just a matte of time before he resolves the problem and makes everything right.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate haters...from the bottom of my heart.

And I hate people that will butcher a cue and do nothing. I'm also not fond of people that make nasty comments that have no idea of what happened.

I'm more than happy to ship to cue to anyone who wants to take a look at Jim's handywork. :smile: