Why do some get their panties in a bunch over equipment?

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I'm stealing a quote from a different thread. What the OP's intentions were, I can't be sure, so I'm not identifying them.

I like how Reyes dealt with it. Picked up an LD shaft. Shot with it, said it didn't hit where he aimed. Put it down. Walked away.

All that proves is one player doesn't favor an LD shaft. It doesn't mean they're either good or bad. It just means he doesn't like them. I don't see Keith shooting with a pendulum stroke but I wouldn't encourage everyone to go sidearm.

What is it about LD shafts that gets some people so mad? I've seen all kinds of fights about it on here and some disagreements in the hall. People trade insults over someone's choice in equipment, even though they aren't the ones playing with it.

Personally I'm more interested in seeing the balls go in the pockets on my inning, and not what shaft the guy in the chair has, or whether he has a pocket chalker, and if so, what kind of chalk is in it.

If I'm in the chair, I'm going to turn it so you have to see "OB Cues" right in your face and plant my chalker on the right armrest, while on the left I'll put a piece of Kamui chalk down, label out. You'll be so mad you'll only see red and think you're playing snooker.

FASTEDDIE427

BUSTIN' BALLS SINCE '86
Silver Member
ok yeah so first

I'm stealing a quote from a different thread. What the OP's intentions were, I can't be sure, so I'm not identifying them.

All that proves is one player doesn't favor an LD shaft. It doesn't mean they're either good or bad. It just means he doesn't like them. I don't see Keith shooting with a pendulum stroke but I wouldn't encourage everyone to go sidearm.

What is it about LD shafts that gets some people so mad? I've seen all kinds of fights about it on here and some disagreements in the hall. People trade insults over someone's choice in equipment, even though they aren't the ones playing with it.

Personally I'm more interested in seeing the balls go in the pockets on my inning, and not what shaft the guy in the chair has, or whether he has a pocket chalker, and if so, what kind of chalk is in it.

If I'm in the chair, I'm going to turn it so you have to see "OB Cues" right in your face and plant my chalker on the right armrest, while on the left I'll put a piece of Kamui chalk down, label out. You'll be so mad you'll only see red and think you're playing snooker.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Why do some get their panties in a bunch over equipment?

Are we in bizzarro world here any more?

Is this really an equiptment thread biching about threads where people bich about equiptment?

(Click click click...theres no place like home, theres no place like.....)

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

Sir,

You know...the bottom line. If I found a magic cue, chalk, etc. I'd cover every identifying mark & keep it to myself. Just kidding. I've told this before, but after playing for 45 years with regular maple & even graphite, I switched to an OB Classic & a McD i2. Now, I 'had' to sell a Preditor CAT because it was juiced & I could not make myself trust it on long english shots. I sold it to a 'newbie' & he is in love with it because it is great for him.

My guess is that those that put down LD shafts seem to think they are a crutch, sort of like Mr. Strickland feels about the jump cue. Pro golfers sort of felt the same way about cavity back irons at one time until they found out that they can help their 1 or 2 bad shots per round. I bet Tiger switches fairly soon too.

Tradition is fine & I respect it but time stands still for no man or woman. It marches on & so does technical advancement. I'll take it wherever I can get it, technical advancement & TIME.:wink:

Best Wishes,

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Sir. I'll have you know that my panties are never in a bunch. My Depends, yes, but never my panties.
Your opine is a bit confusing, but I think that the items you speak of are merely tools of the trade. If Ephren doesn't care for LD shafts then so be it. That certainly isn't an indictment against them, but rather a personal preference on his part. :smile:

henho

I Beat Fidelshnitzer
Silver Member
You know what else really grinds my gears? Aiming systems. Whats up with that? Also, how do you get more draw on the ball?

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
ok yeah so first

I doubt it will go 10 pages. I've noticed when you call people on it, they seem to shrink back in the face of direct questioning.

Is this really an equiptment thread biching about threads where people bich about equiptment?

It could just be that I don't understand the rage. Upset, sure, I can swing that; you can't afford what I can. Fair enough. But to call someone names because you don't like their shaft, or chalk, or case, or shoe polish?

My guess is that those that put down LD shafts seem to think they are a crutch, sort of like Mr. Strickland feels about the jump cue.

I have mixed feelings about the jump cue. Part of me says I should just play a better safe if an opponent is going to use one, and another part realizes it's still a skill to use one properly. But I don't get angry and say, "you're stupid" if I see you with one. In my mind I might think your kicks are poor if you can only get out with a short cue but hey, my jumps are poor, so we both have things to work on.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I can't name the brand for fear of a lawsuit, but I do hate underwear that bunches up! :mad:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
You know what else really grinds my gears? Aiming systems. Whats up with that? Also, how do you get more draw on the ball?

henho, when you speak of (I can't even say the words) those "systems", do so in a quiet and hushed manner. You are obviously too young to remember the great war that occurred here, but it lasted many, many, years and cost hundreds of thousands of lives. :smile:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I used, "panties in a bunch", because that's how it comes across. Two teenage girls squealing back and forth, "Did you see what she was wearing?! OMG ... ewww!"

Except for pool, it's, "Did you see what shaft he's using?! OMG ... Banger!"

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Interesting that you quote me as I am one of the people who does not get mad and argue about it. :rolleyes:

Exactly what did you think I meant by that?

What gets me is how people argue bout it both ways, as if one couldn't possibly play well without an LD shaft...or vice versa.

In the thread in question a certain great performance without an LD shaft was questioned. I find that amazing.

Obviously it is a matter of personal preference and seriously nothing more. There is no magic in it.

So I don't at all understand the quote unless you meant to point out the most reasonable and neutral viewpoint on the matter that I happen to have.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
I had a beginner player ask me a very good question about why is having a personal cue better than using a house cue.

The answer surprised him I think. My answer was consistency in equipment. In using the same stick over and over while learning, eliminates the need to adjust for the differences in how different house cues play. That once you find a house cue you like, there is no garrantee you can find it next time.

I also told him that in time, you will be able to pick up any stick and adjust for it and play well with it because of the long term baseline of playing with one cue.

This is all that matters. A cue you feel comfortable with.

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are we in bizzarro world here any more?

(Click click click...theres no place like home, theres no place like.....)

this.........:grin:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Second sentence, first paragraph. It has nothing to do with you, just a fitting quote. I didn't identify you for that reason.

I still don't understand how the quote fits in the context of that sentence.

But I'm not too concerned I guess. Never thought it was about me, I thought it was about the quote fitting what you were trying to say.

It seemed that you were attempting to explain the meaning of the quote in a way that implied it might have meant something different than intended. It meant exactly what you said, which is what was intended. That person's personal preference was clear.

Last edited:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
My answer was consistency in equipment. In using the same stick over and over while learning, eliminates the need to adjust for the differences in how different house cues play.

I agree 100%. I mentioned it a while ago in a different thread too that since I have a custom cue I want to keep the original shafts in their original condition. All of the aftermarket shafts are LD so that's what I'm buying. I try to stick to one brand, length, and tip to get that consistency.

I'd just like to be enlightened on why and how my shopping habits affect others.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the answer, no need to stand and applaud. The reason there are so many different types of equipment in pool is because people have different preferences.

No no, that's quite alright. Seriously, thanks but you can sit down.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I know quite a bit about LD shafts the various reasons why players use LD shafts, as well as underwear,
and why players wear underwear.
Why people get their underwear bunched up over an LD shaft is purely speculation.

Some of my cues came with matching Predator shafts, I own every type of LD shaft you can think of,
they play great but I don't use them.
At least LD shafts don't drag every shot out longer than necessary, like the guys I know that use "systems".
I'll say "nice shot" (after system guy took 55-seconds to shoot) system guy says "I measured that",
I say "just shoot the ****ing ball".

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
I smell what you stepped in here...

As with anything in the world where people can congregate and socialize, they will always find something to argue about. Just hang out with fans of any sports team, listen to the news about politics, or suggest you know something about religion and you'll have a fight on your hands with someone about who's right and who's wrong. Azbilliards is where Pool players and enthusiasts congregate, socialize and pound each other into the dirt over opinions and drag each other through the mud over everything else. But, when you find someone you agree with, you can enjoy hours of fun and great conversation. Yes it gets annoying at times, yes people get mad... but if it were really all that bad, nobody would be here.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
It could just be that I don't understand the rage. Upset, sure, I can swing that; you can't afford what I can. Fair enough. But to call someone names because you don't like their shaft, or chalk, or case, or shoe polish?

Well I guess I'm even more lost.

like how Reyes dealt with it. Picked up an LD shaft. Shot with it, said it didn't hit where he aimed. Put it down. Walked away.

I don't see any of that in there. It seemed like a very simple case of "I didn't like it".

It sounds like what your really wanted to do was launch into an attack back in whatever thread that comment came from but instead decieded to leave the reservation and start a new one. :)