Should a player's handicap drop when he reaches a certain age?

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Since my birthday is a week away, and I will be 65, I have to ask the question whether a player's handicap should drop, and at what age would you consider it proper to do so???

All of us older players know that you can not maintain the same level of play that you did when you were younger, because of eyes going bad, physical stamina is not the same, concentration problems, loss of physical strength, etc..

Most of us play in tournaments where we are rated a certain speed, whether it be weekly tournaments, or special tournaments.

Banks

Banned
Since my birthday is a week away, and I will be 65, I have to ask the question whether a player's handicap should drop, and at what age would you consider it proper to do so???

All of us older players know that you can not maintain the same level of play that you did when you were younger, because of eyes going bad, physical stamina is not the same, concentration problems, loss of physical strength, etc..

Most of us play in tournaments where we are rated a certain speed, whether it be weekly tournaments, or special tournaments.

Not sure on this one, Scott. There's an even older gent in our area that's a pretty good shot.

First time I had played him was on a Diamond barbox. The TD says I'm playing so-and-so next. I kinda shrugged it off. She said, "Watch out, he's a master." I wasn't worried.. you never know what's going to happen. Well, this little old lady comes walking up carrying a cue case. I think to myself, "How cute! But, wait, it's a man, so she can't be my opponent." Well, an older guy comes walking up.. we introduce ourselves and get to playing. He broke the 8 rack well.. no biggie. Comes time for a tough break-out.. pounds it with a hard stroke, gets the break-out and runs out like water. Played him here and there afterwards, too.

You guys aren't fooling anybody! ;)

If you really feel your game has dropped off, you can always petition to get lowered. Problem is, if you show a brief flare of your old game, they'll probably say you're bluffing.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think if you have a system in place that already fairly determines your handicap... then it should work whether it's a fading superstar who's entering his 80's or a solid teenage C who started last year.

If the handicap can rise and fall, it should do it based on playing results, not age. It doesn't make a lot of sense. "I won last week. Tomorrow's my birthday. Next week I'm entering again and I'll get another game on the wire".

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Scott,

Doubt very highly any of the national sanctioning bodies in whose leagues I play would drop me from their masters lists. Just turned 68 and damn proud of it. Blessed to still not wear glasses for anything but reading. Wonder how I'll feel when I can no longer beat up on those young punks :eek: :p :rolleyes:? Better reserve judgement!

Lyn

Banks

Banned
Scott,

Doubt very highly any of the national sanctioning bodies in whose leagues I play would drop me from their masters lists. Just turned 68 and damn proud of it. Blessed to still not wear glasses for anything but reading. Wonder how I'll feel when I can no longer beat up on those young punks :eek: :p :rolleyes:? Better reserve judgement!

Lyn

I had wondered before about Luke's national ranking. For placing well in the Open last year, you both got bumped to national Master? That's pretty brutal. I just checked.. it looks as though the top 6(not included are the top two Taiwanese) got the bump to Master. Kinda strange, it looks like everybody through 33rd(grats, Stuckart) got bumped to A from the 8b Open division, but the winner from the Open 9b only got moved up to an A.

I swear, I'll never understand how that stuff is figured out. Just gotta make it to the big boy bracket and not think about it any more.. :embarrassed2:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I had wondered before about Luke's national ranking. For placing well in the Open last year, you both got bumped to national Master? That's pretty brutal. I just checked.. it looks as though the top 6(not included are the top two Taiwanese) got the bump to Master. Kinda strange, it looks like everybody through 33rd(grats, Stuckart) got bumped to A from the 8b Open division, but the winner from the Open 9b only got moved up to an A.

I swear, I'll never understand how that stuff is figured out. Just gotta make it to the big boy bracket and not think about it any more.. :embarrassed2:

Damn it Banks, you had to go and write that name LUKE! We had a great match. He won double hill. Seems like a real nice guy. Actually, since he is about half my age, I should have scored two points to each of his one and won the match :eek:. If you see him, say hello for me.

Lyn

Banks

Banned
Damn it Banks, you had to go and write that name LUKE! We had a great match. He won double hill. Seems like a real nice guy. Actually, since he is about half my age, I should have scored two points to each of his one and won the match :eek:. If you see him, say hello for me.

Lyn

I think I've seen him all of a quick second or two since the last time to asked me to say hello, so I've felt bad about that. I'll be rejoining the same hall in another month or two for BCA after this season, so I'll let him know your eyesight has deteriorated and that you need a spot! :eek: j/k You must shoot alright, because he's no slouch. A year later and I'm still happy that I got a 50 against his team(40 and a forfeit counts!), using a screw-on tip, too! :p I haven't been around him all that much, but he does seem like a pretty mellow guy.

Student loan almost done, car halfway there, IRS all paid up and saving money to take the girlfrield on vacation. I'm looking forward to finally making it to Vegas this summer, the excuses are running out!

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hey Scott,

I'm 66 and I can tell ya I don't want any kind of special treatment just because of my age. The way I see it, is I'm gonna pound my younger players butt right into next week. Don't mess with the ole guy.....he ain't play'in around.

Have fun man.....kick some butt. :smile:

John

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well if you can't play as well, you will play worse which will make your handicap go down won't it? And if it stays the same, you are playing the same so why does it matter how old you are? As in everything else you should be judged by your skill not your age, race or gender.

foxcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say no it needs to be based on skill not age.
We used to have a money golf game every sat and sun at a local golf course,The man running it was a scratch golfer from the blue tees.When he turned 60 he said he now could play from the senior tees and everybody complained.It didn`t take long before the game broke up.
At 60 he could still drive the ball 290yrds and hit a 4 iron 210 so age had nothing to do with it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... the question whether a player's handicap should drop, and at what age would you consider it proper to do so??? ...
A player's rating should change (a little) after every match he plays. His age should have nothing to do with this. A rating system that fails to do this is broken.

SKUNKBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer the OP question...NO. If you can still compete in the level you are rated at, you should stay there until you can no longer compete. Age has nothing to do with it.

L8R...Ken

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Et tu brute?

Lyn
Who are you calling a brute! :grin: I remember one player who used to play all the time in a local league. He was 95. He was tough to beat -- those old guys are treacherous and wily. And hard to shark because they don't hear so well.

MoneyBox

I throw putters.
Silver Member

Despite the symptoms of age that you describe, does your state make you take your driver's license exam every year?

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing for me

I am 62 and started playing pool again about 3 years ago after about a 40 year break. I live in a small Alaskan town and the local pool hall has 9' foot tables yet a bunch of the towns shooters prefer the smaller bar tables and beer. We have a small 8 ball league and small 8 or 9 ball tournaments every other Saturday. I will be going to Anchorage and shoot in the Fur Rondy pool tournaments in Feburary. I will be shooting 8 & 9 ball in the Intermediate Class and not the Open Class. This will be my first big 2 day tournament. Any one who places 1st or 2nd in the Intermediate Class can only shoot in the Open Class in the future tournaments. I don't ever want a spot of any kind. I don't gamble and I shoot pool for fun, win or loose. I have been told I am a good B shooter, what ever that is. Getting old has it's down side, but their are a few benefits. I don't have any thing to prove and I really don't think I put much pressure on my self when I shoot against others. So win or loose I am going to have fun and who ever beats me will have to earn it. If I am blessed with finishing in the money I want it to be because I out played the other guy.

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
I would say no, as long as your able to compete at the same level with the younger folks then so be it. At the appropriate time you can still compete in Senior events as well.

Black Cat :cool:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
In Response

Now, all you guys know once you become known to be a certain speed and handicap, they do not adjust down, at least around here they don't. And even if you shot bad for awhile (meaning 1 level less), then you would have to shoot 4 or 5 years that bad before anyone would adjust your handicap.

There are some handicap level systems that adjust with each match you play, but I am talking about when you are known as a 9 speed, and you play in a handicapped 9 ball tournament as a 9 handicap normally.

I am NOT advocating to get my handicap reduced ... lol But, say a guy turns
75 or 80, would he then be entitled to a one level reduction? Hell, it has been discussed on here about player's ages, and said that players are over the hill when they hit 50.

I do feel like the subject has some merits for discussion.