The yips and playing pool

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this has been discussed in another thread and I re-introduce it here because it would appear there is some real research to support the idea presented.

In the May / June Issue of Scientific American MIND, Jurgen Beckman (page 76) states that he and his colleagues have found that increasing activity in the right hemisphere by tightening the left hand decreases the athlete’s likelihood of choking in a pressure situation. Seems this is a simple enough procedure to place in anyone's pre shot routine.

The pool player who has experienced or anticipates the yips can use this information easily. Tighten the bridge hand (for right handed people). Some people dig their fingertips into the table cloth and this, according to Beckman et al, probably helps them avoid the yips.

Seems this could be a useful tip for those who have problems in this area.

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have noticed a lot of better players tend to grip the cloth and I myself feel better when I do it.
I think it is overlooked by a lot of players.
Thanks for the thread!
Mark

Banks

Banned
I know this has been discussed in another thread and I re-introduce it here because it would appear there is some real research to support the idea presented.

In the May / June Issue of Scientific American MIND, Jurgen Beckman (page 76) states that he and his colleagues have found that increasing activity in the right hemisphere by tightening the left hand decreases the athlete’s likelihood of choking in a pressure situation. Seems this is a simple enough procedure to place in anyone's pre shot routine.

The pool player who has experienced or anticipates the yips can use this information easily. Tighten the bridge hand (for right handed people). Some people dig their fingertips into the table cloth and this, according to Beckman et al, probably helps them avoid the yips.

I'm a righty that shoots lefty.. what then? :eek:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Very interesting...although most of my misses have multiple causes. But lessening one of them can't hurt. Many thanks for the tip.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

What I have is the yips. It's not "choking under pressure." Those are two different things. They're related for sure, but the yips go well and way beyond "choking under pressure." In fact, when the yips hit me (which is often), it has nothing to do with pressure situation. So, I should read the study, but it's not sounding quite right.

At this point, I'll try anything. I'm thinking I can't even get to the point of squeezing. But I'll try.

Freddie <~~~ I hope most don't have a clue what the yips really are

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who don't know. The "yips" are unconscious muscle contractions that spoil a shot (golf, pool, tennis, etc).

Choking can be caused by several things, often competitive anxiety or something similar.

Squeezing the left hand is specifically recommended for the Yips but may be of use in other circumstances where brain anomalies can wreck a shot. Apparently squeezing the left hand helps to place the subconscious in control and this is of use in many situations.

Last edited: