>>> The McDermott.....the C21 <<<

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been around cues for some 20 years now, and think I've only seen 2 other ones....and it's been a long while. Has anybody even seen one of these C21 cues lately?

This one could use a refinish and couple of new shafts. It has two thin shafts with original ivory ferrules. For the longest time, the McDermott C21 was the 'mack daddy' as far as production cues was concerned. How do folks feel about these cues now?

I welcome all thoughts. Hopefully this can spark some decent discussion on the current collectibility of production cues.

The old Meuccis seem to be holding their own value-wise in the current market.

What about this and other A, B, C, & D line McDermotts?

Are there other production cues that are faring better in retaining value?

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 2,058
  • IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,974
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,977
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 2,088

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same rings as a D-26 or almost the same, awesome cue, great thread!!

I dont know if i seen one in real life or online, its been a while. I have owned some C Series McD's, nothing big tho, i would have kept them. Back when i started playing in 85 the room i played at was a McD room, most people there played with them, cause thats what the room sold. Some of the older guys back then had C series, they were very well built cues. IMO the late D series was the end of "good" quality McD's, the shaft wood got soft, real easy to ding, they went into MASS production and the era of high quality McD's was over.

ZiggyLee

I Love This Game!!!!
Silver Member
Nice looking McDermott

This is the first McDermott model like this. Nice sharp points great looking cue. Does it hit like the McDermott's of today?

Birk1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to own one around 15yrs ago. Mine had a white implex joint - played nice

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Nice cue.

Know for people my age (43) that played in the 80's the c and d series have a special spot. Joss J series, schons with dash rings as well. Think all of those hold value fairly well, though doubt they'll increase anymore with age.

I grew up in a joss, schon, scruggs pool hall. Schon was the higher end cues way back then. Some of those joss j series were really nice looking cues.

holland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first cue is a 20oz McDermott D-6, bought new from some shop in NYC. Sadly, I can't remember where. I still use it, but had it rewrapped in linen about 9 years ago by RC3. I have too many memories with that cue to ever get rid of it. It too needs a refinish.

The cue has 1 shaft @ 12mm with a very slight bow to it. My other cue is 13mm, a Joss 2020, but I find the shaft too thick now, and will probably cut it down to 12mm. I wonder if McD will warranty the shaft. :)

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there other production cues that are faring better in retaining value?

Viking
Palmer
JOSS
Huebler
National
Others

As for the McDermotts, I think they tend to be under-appreciated compared to the customs which are too often, IMHO, over-inflated.

The C21 is a perfect example. Want one? It's probably easier to find a "vintage" Gus, Spain, Gina, etc.

I feel very Lucky to have a minty 1975 McDermott. Has just a few finish chips on the butt sleeve that I am told can be fixed perfectly without a refinish. The rest of the cue is perfect. First year. Green bumper. Rare. I found out that some knowledgeable cue people around here didn't even know that the old McDermotts had color coordinated bumpers. These are exactly the same bumpers as the MR(A),B,C,D Series black bumpers except they are in colors that match the butt sleeves and wraps of the cues.

%2524T2eC16ZHJGwE9n%2529yUZlnBQocEZf8%252Bg%257E%257E60_572.jpg

I also have a C Series with a brown bumper. Very rare these days. Darned near perfect original cue.

m1_bumper.jpg

You want one of those colored bumpers? It will be much easier to find a Brunswick KU bumper or an early Huebler bumper or an early Meucci "pill" bumper. Much easier.

I recently missed out on another first year McDermott and could absoluely kick myself for not jumping on it for the couple hundred it sold for. I only passed it up because it was missing the original brown bumper...which I located after the cue sold! :angry:

Many of the old production cues do pretty darn well at holding value IMHO and the higher level ones do indeed appreciate.

Beyond that, it seems to be often ignored that these manufacturers produced "real" customs at the same time back then. I have seen a couple of one-of-a-kind custom McDermotts from the seventies and eighties in the past year.

Lastly, these cues make great players as well. The lower end models can be had for very little money too. It's kind of like setting yourself up with a resto-rod...an old Chevelle, Corvette, Cuda, etc. What can be more cool than that? It seems a lot of people forget the performance of those old beasts was trememdous even by today's standards. It's the same for cues IMHO. If you really need modern tech, get an old McD or Viking or whatever and screw an LD shaft on it.

People around here pick on production cues, but the cues we are talking about are in some cases already very rare and I think they are decent value retainers and in some cases investments as far as cues are concerned.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Great points, guys. I agree. These old McDermotts were fine cues for the time.

Where I grew up and started playing pool, the halls were full of McDermott C and D series cues, as well as old Meuccis...they really ruled the roost. There was the occasional Joss, Palmer, Huebler, Viking, and Pechauer; some (but not many) Schons; some lesser production brands (Dufferin, Schmelke, etc.); and less commonly seen customs.

And lol....just saw that another C21 is listed on ebay right now.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And lol....just saw that another C21 is listed on ebay right now.

Yup.

It is in my watch list. I figured you would see it. :wink:

It's a rare bird for sure.

The cue looks to be in nice shape to boot.

Stiff price....or is it? :wink: I think that one merits an offer from a serious contender. The owner knows the value, so that one won't be for flipping, but it sure could be a sweet addition to a collection.

One thing I have to note: Yours has the optional stainless joint collar, which is a bonus and a premium IMHO. The one in the Ebay sale is Implex.

I would love to have an early McD or two with optional joint configurations. They even did piloted 5/16x14 stainless joints, which I would especially love to have...very rarely found since they were hard selling the wood-to-wood 3/8x10 from early on....

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
A refinish by McD is a value at $250.00 I just had my D16 done. Picked it up here in rough shape for a decent price. I also had an I2 made for it as part of the refinish (extra $150) It came out great, looking brand new. fast turn around too sent it in 4/3 got it back 4/24. It is my new player, along with my BILL000.

I should have taken some before/after pics....

:cool:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A refinish by McD is a value at $250.00 I just had my D16 done. Picked it up here in rough shape for a decent price. I also had an I2 made for it as part of the refinish (extra $150) It came out great, looking brand new. fast turn around too sent it in 4/3 got it back 4/24. It is my new player, along with my BILL000.

Very cool!

One of the "issues" I have with McDermott re-finishes on the older cues is that they will change the butt cap. Apparently the modern finish will not stick to the old butt caps. In order to preserve originality it would be necessary to send the cue elsewhere. Of course, if it needs a butt cap anyway, then McD can do it, but it will be obvious to a "mCdermott person" that it has been replaced I think..

I know that my earlier cue use an obviously different butt cap material compared to my D Series cues.

Anyway, I really dig the discussion about the old McDs and the cue at the head of this post is a really fine example of one. :thumbup:

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Very cool!

One of the "issues" I have with McDermott re-finishes on the older cues is that they will change the butt cap. Apparently the modern finish will not stick to the old butt caps. In order to preserve originality it would be necessary to send the cue elsewhere. Of course, if it needs a butt cap anyway, then McD can do it, but it will be obvious to a "mCdermott person" that it has been replaced I think..

I know that my earlier cue use an obviously different butt cap material compared to my D Series cues.

Anyway, I really dig the discussion about the old McDs and the cue at the head of this post is a really fine example of one. :thumbup:

It came back all original, including the bumper.

kntbeach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The C series are well made and play well also. I have a C-21 with dark stain and leather wrap that I sent to Mcdermott for a refinish about ten years ago and then put up in my collection. The retired Mcdermott dealer here in Grays Harbor on the Washington coast can remember selling only two because they were 500 dollars. Mine and a light stained one that is in another collection here in town. I think the value is about half of what they were a few years back but they are still cool sticks.

RedGuru

Beach Rat
Silver Member

I picked up a pretty McD D7 off craigslist ($60) last week, wouldn't mind having an I2 shaft with a matching ring on it. When they added the I2 to your D16 did they match the ring? Here's some pics:

2vjo3z8.jpg

33bh6rc.jpg

34epb44.jpg

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
I picked up a pretty McD D7 off craigslist ($60) last week, wouldn't mind having an I2 shaft with a matching ring on it. When they added the I2 to your D16 did they match the ring? Here's some pics:

2vjo3z8.jpg

33bh6rc.jpg

34epb44.jpg

Yes the I2 looks like it was made with the original cue, even the cloverleaf logo's on the I2 and the butt line up when the cue is together. They've also matched the rings on my I2 for my Phoenix and Dubliner (both M series cues)

That D7 was a great buy for that price and looks to be in good shape. Jayme at McD will give you a good price and you'll have to send them the butt so they can match the shaft.

McDermott does great work. I purchased an I1 Big Boy for my Jerico stinger and the Big Boy has a smoother fit (where the joint meets) than the original stinger shaft, and I bought that Jerico new.

RedGuru

Beach Rat
Silver Member
Yes the I2 looks like it was made with the original cue, even the cloverleaf logo's on the I2 and the butt line up when the cue is together. They've also matched the rings on my I2 for my Phoenix and Dubliner (both M series cues)

That D7 was a great buy for that price and looks to be in good shape. Jayme at McD will give you a good price and you'll have to send them the butt so they can match the shaft.

McDermott does great work. I purchased an I1 Big Boy for my Jerico stinger and the Big Boy has a smoother fit (where the joint meets) than the original stinger shaft, and I bought that Jerico new.

Cool, thanks, I have an M-61B also, that has a chip out of the poly on the butt and some glazing there as well. Might have them mate that up as well with an I2 while doing the repair.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Jayme from McDermott sent me a few before and after pics one is a C they did a refinish on and the other was a D22 with severe water damage that they repaired. I have asked him for permission to post them here. Anyone who can't wait can pm me and I'll show them to you that way.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jayme from McDermott sent me a few before and after pics one is a C they did a refinish on and the other was a D22 with severe water damage that they repaired. I have asked him for permission to post them here. Anyone who can't wait can pm me and I'll show them to you that way.

That would be really cool! :thumbup: