Jumpbank

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Much harder to accomplish on a table with heavy rails. His home table has some skinny rails that you can bounce the balls off of.

He says in the description that the shot is 3-in-10 for him. I'd love to see him do the same setup on a Diamond, recorded 10 in a row.

I would play safe on the 8 there. You can double-kiss it off the 9 and leave the cue ball pretty snug behind it. near the cushion.

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
Seems like you could easily feather the 8 with left and play 3 rails safe...or any other safe for that matter before attempting this shot.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was once in a team 8 ball tournament. We are playing the match to see who gets into the money. It's hill-hill. Opponent is drunk, but a very good player. He runs out all his balls, and doesn't even realize until he goes to shoot the 8 that it is surrounded by his opponents balls. My team knows we now have the win. His team is really upset with him.

He looks at what he just did, starts laughing and calling himself names, then says "screw it, bank the 8 in the corner over here." He jacks up, jumps a striped ball, lands on the 8. The 8 then jumps another striped ball, lands on the rail edge, jumps back over all the balls and heads dead center into the corner pocket! His team starting shouting, my team all wanted to puke. What a lousy feeling when you know you have something, and then at the last second it gets yanked away by something no one else even saw coming.

Guess it's all in how well you know the shot.

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
His info at the bottom says "probably a lower percentage shot for me. like 3 out of 10 or something."

Bet it up.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
His info at the bottom says "probably a lower percentage shot for me. like 3 out of 10 or something."

Bet it up.
In case he wanted to bet, I wouldn't. I think that's a shot you can get to 50% or better on if you practice it on a particular table. Going up cold you are not likely to get the right speed and elevation for the particular distances you are faced with. With a set position, I wouldn't bet against any top player after his fourth try.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In case he wanted to bet, I wouldn't. I think that's a shot you can get to 50% or better on if you practice it on a particular table. Going up cold you are not likely to get the right speed and elevation for the particular distances you are faced with. With a set position, I wouldn't bet against any top player after his fourth try.

Agreed. I just tried it, and after a few tries you pretty much have it down good enough to bet on it. I did notice something very interesting though....it is also POSSIBLE to make the 8 jump the striped ball, hit the table, then do a cool little curve and reverse and go up towards the corner pocket to the left. It can also go to the lower left corner pocket, or just hook and sit on the middle of the end rail. Interesting what CAN be done with it in that position.

Oh, it can also jump, go over the ball nearest the side pocket, and head for the corner pocket along the rail. All extremely low percentage except for leaving it on the end rail. That one brings up an interesting safety play for a rotation game. But, it's still pretty interesting to see just what can be done with a ball. Sometimes it's fun just to play around with a shot to see what happens.

Banks

Banned
Agreed. I just tried it, and after a few tries you pretty much have it down good enough to bet on it. I did notice something very interesting though....it is also POSSIBLE to make the 8 jump the striped ball, hit the table, then do a cool little curve and reverse and go up towards the corner pocket to the left. It can also go to the lower left corner pocket, or just hook and sit on the middle of the end rail. Interesting what CAN be done with it in that position.

Oh, it can also jump, go over the ball nearest the side pocket, and head for the corner pocket along the rail. All extremely low percentage except for leaving it on the end rail. That one brings up an interesting safety play for a rotation game. But, it's still pretty interesting to see just what can be done with a ball. Sometimes it's fun just to play around with a shot to see what happens.

Hopping off the rail is a last resort shot for me. Half the time, or more, once the OB hits the felt, it's got enough spin to pull to the side.. so I usually hit it short in anticipation of that. It's pretty cool when it comes together, though.

Just as you remember that shot made against your team, I bet the guy that made it still talks about it. I would, too, if I made something like that!