Billiard University (BU) playing-ability-exam scores and ratings

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For all of you that think that 7' tables are "toy" tables, this is a perfect test to prove your point! Show us just how easy bar tables really are by videoing your high scores on one! I suspect that many of you that have stated they are toys would find out just how tricky and challenging they can be.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a chance to redo both exams, same 9' GC V tournament edition:

Part 1: 79
Part 2: 81
Total: 160

Happy with this result, I think I could do a bit better on part 2 and definitely better on part 1, the "wheel of death" got me again on too many shots... Need to practice those if I want to do better on that part, doing it by feel gets me close but not close enough... :)

Funny that Gerry posted an 88. I went through the Doctorate part 2 exam after I scored the 81 to see what I thought my practical best would be. I figured perfect on the first 4 parts, then 11/14 on the safeties, 6/7 on the kicks, etc. I came up with 87 or 88... :) That's REAL strong on not only execution but concentration and focus, so great job Gerry!!! I completely relinquish any attempt at trying to beat that...

I may try to beat my score on each exam, especially Exam 1 (where I fell apart), but I thought my expectation after first doing the exams would be in the mid 150's to mid 160's and I'm there so satisfied with that. Definitely a good drill to do for an hour or so to work on skills and/or patterns and shot making.

Links below, several parts again from getting interrupted and phone camera shutting off while filming, luckily I noticed it this time.

Thanks!
Scott

Exam 1, part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6rNeHhrLqo
Exam 1, part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9foMGMKJtG0

Exam 2, part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2vCPrNnLo
Exam 2, part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU_AYN3Kdk4
Exam 2, part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtMPP5ihrYE

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For all of you that think that 7' tables are "toy" tables, this is a perfect test to prove your point! Show us just how easy bar tables really are by videoing your high scores on one! I suspect that many of you that have stated they are toys would find out just how tricky and challenging they can be.

Agreed - less distance, so shot making might feel a bit easier, especially for blind people like me, but they present other challenges. About to go to Vegas for Masters league and play on bar tables, haven't played on a bar table since 1997 (the last time I was out there), definitely looking to get some good practice in before the trip for exactly what Neil is talking about.
Scott

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ball pocketing is much easier on the 7 footer however you have less room to work.

I think the rail drill would be the only one that could be tougher on a barbox. The rest is not even close.

I think without much effort I would score higher on a 7 foot table.

Who called them "toy" tables?

Cheers,
Gerry

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ball pocketing is much easier on the 7 footer however you have less room to work.

I think the rail drill would be the only one that could be tougher on a barbox. The rest is not even close.

I think without much effort I would score higher on a 7 foot table.

Who called them "toy" tables?

Cheers,
Gerry

Would be interesting to see the differences, if any, in your scores from the different size tables, Gerry. And, there have been a number of times on AZB where people scoff at 7' tables and call them toys and state that anyone can play like a champ on one. Well, here's their chance to prove it.

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting Scott - heading down for the BCA are you? We play Masters in the VNEA and have done quite well the last 5 years with a 2nd, 2 3rds and a 4th. I didn't go this year as we did the Disney thing.

Good luck - you play very well man.

Cheers,
Gerry

P.S. Do you own that pool room?

Happy with this result, I think I could do a bit better on part 2 and definitely better on part 1, the "wheel of death" got me again on too many shots... Need to practice those if I want to do better on that part, doing it by feel gets me close but not close enough... :)

Funny that Gerry posted an 88. I went through the Doctorate part 2 exam after I scored the 81 to see what I thought my practical best would be. I figured perfect on the first 4 parts, then 11/14 on the safeties, 6/7 on the kicks, etc. I came up with 87 or 88... :) That's REAL strong on not only execution but concentration and focus, so great job Gerry!!! I completely relinquish any attempt at trying to beat that...

I may try to beat my score on each exam, especially Exam 1 (where I fell apart), but I thought my expectation after first doing the exams would be in the mid 150's to mid 160's and I'm there so satisfied with that. Definitely a good drill to do for an hour or so to work on skills and/or patterns and shot making.

Links below, several parts again from getting interrupted and phone camera shutting off while filming, luckily I noticed it this time.

Thanks!
Scott

Exam 1, part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6rNeHhrLqo
Exam 1, part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9foMGMKJtG0

Exam 2, part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2vCPrNnLo
Exam 2, part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU_AYN3Kdk4
Exam 2, part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtMPP5ihrYE

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 ball on a barbox is much tougher than 8 ball on a 9 footer.

Would be interesting to see the differences, if any, in your scores from the different size tables, Gerry. And, there have been a number of times on AZB where people scoff at 7' tables and call them toys and state that anyone can play like a champ on one. Well, here's their chance to prove it.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Great job Scott! That puts you into the semi-pro category along with Gerry.

I've added your info and video links to the list. Here's the latest:

List of AZB'ers who have taken the BU playing-ability exams so far (in ranked order):

BU score -- Username -- BU Rating, 10-ball ghost rating -- table: size, corner pocket mouth, throat, shelf -- Video links (if available):

168 -- Gerry Williams -- semi pro (A++/AAA), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Specs, Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
161 -- Gerry Williams -- semi pro (A++/AAA), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Specs, Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
160 -- scottjen26 -- semi pro (A++/AAA), 64 (A+) -- table 9', 4 1/2", 3 7/8", 1 1/2" -- Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
159 -- Gerry Williams -- adv-3 (A+/A), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Specs, Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
157 -- scottjen26 -- adv-3 (A+/A), 64 (A+) -- table 9', 4 1/2", 3 7/8", 1 1/2" -- Exam I (part 1, part 2), no Exam II video yet (see AZB post)
156 -- Gerry Williams -- adv-3 (A+/A), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Specs, Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II
149 -- scottjen26 -- adv-3 (A+/A), 64 (A+) -- table 9', 4 1/2", 3 7/8", 1 1/2" -- Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II
141 -- 12squared (Dave Gross) -- adv-3 (A+/A); 78 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 7/8", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" -- no videos (see AZB post)
141 -- Neil -- adv-3 (A+/A); 60 (A) -- table: 7', 4 1/8", 3 1/2", 1 3/8" -- Exam (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
135 -- dr_dave -- adv-2 (A-/B+), 54 (B+) -- table: 8', 4 3/4", 4 1/8", 1 3/8" -- Exam I, Exam II
132 -- Gerry Williams -- adv-2 (A-/B+), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Specs, Exam I, Exam II (part 1, part 2)
132 -- BRussell -- adv-2 (A-/B+), 51 (B+) -- table: 8', 5", 4 1/4", 1 1/2" -- Exam I, Exam II
124 -- JC -- adv-1 (B/B-), 42 (C+) -- table: 9', 4 7/16", 3 7/8", 1 3/8" -- Table Specs, Exam 1, Exam 2
121 -- TheOneGnat -- adv-2 (A-/B+), 51 (B+) -- table: 8', 4 1/2 in, 4 in, 1 5/8 in -- no videos (see AZB post and the update)
117 -- RobMan -- adv-1 (B/B-), 46 (B) -- table: 9', 5", no throat yet, 1" -- no videos (see AZB post)
112 -- Okie -- adv-1 (B/B-), 61 (A+) -- table: 9', 4 3/4", 4", 1 1/2" -- Table Specs, Exam I, Exam II
112 -- RobMan -- adv-1 (B/B-), 46 (B) -- table: 9', 5", no throat yet, 1" -- no videos (see AZB post)
108 -- row21097 -- int-3 (B-/C+), 57 (A) -- table: 9', 4 1/2”, 4”, 1 1/2” -- Table Specs, Exam I (part 1, part 2, part 3), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
102 -- Okie -- int-3 (B-/C+), 52 (B+) -- table: 9', 4 3/4", 4", 1 1/2" -- Table Specs, Exam I, Exam II
101 -- 67tbird -- int-3 (B-/C+), 46 (B) -- table: 8', 4 1/4", 4", 1 1/2" -- no videos (see AZB post)
92 -- 67tbird -- int-2 (C+/C), 34 (D+) -- table: 8', 4 1/4", 4", 1 1/2" -- no videos (see AZB post)
87 -- iusedtoberich -- int-2 (C+/C), 38 (C) -- table: 9', 5 1/8", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" -- Table Specs, Exam I, Exam II
78 -- iusedtoberich -- int-2 (C+/C), 38 (C) -- table: 9', 5 1/8", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" -- Table Specs, Exam I, Exam II
77 -- SeanChamp -- int-2 (C+/C), 29 (D) -- table: 8', 4 1/2", no throat yet, 1" -- no videos (see AZB post)
62 -- mamics -- int-1 (C), 20 (D) -- table: 9', 4 5/8", 3 13/16", 1 1/4" -- no videos (see AZB post)
55 -- mamics -- int-1 (C), 20 (D) -- table: 9', 4 5/8", 3 13/16", 1 1/4" -- no videos (see AZB post)

Here are the details and scores for all official BU graduates.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I may try to beat my score on each exam, especially Exam 1 (where I fell apart)
I look forward to seeing how much better you can do. Thank you for working on it so hard, like Gerry. Hopefully, this will help inspire all of the players out there who aren't as good as you two are. It's interesting how the people who are willing to put in the work are usually better players.

Definitely a good drill to do for an hour or so to work on skills and/or patterns and shot making.
I agree 100%. That's one of the main purposes for the BU Exams ... to provide an effective and efficient pool workout.

Catch you later,
Dave

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting Scott - heading down for the BCA are you? We play Masters in the VNEA and have done quite well the last 5 years with a 2nd, 2 3rds and a 4th. I didn't go this year as we did the Disney thing.

Good luck - you play very well man.

Cheers,
Gerry

P.S. Do you own that pool room?

Thank Gerry. Would have to watch you shoot more but you have the edge on me based on your scores in BU and 10 ball, can tell you are a bit more consistent in shot making etc. Too bad you aren't local you would be a fantastic practice partner for me, especially with the Pro One connection. Hard to find a good person to practice with who not only plays well but someone I like to play with... :)

Yes, I joined an APA Masters team this session to help out a friend, we ended up winning so are heading to Vegas in August. Not a fan of 8 ball on bar tables, but will practice up some before, and it's dual format (8 and 9 ball) so shouldn't be too bad. Our team is decent but not great, so I have no expectations of a good finish, but should be fun either way.

The place I practice at the most is actually a retail store called Billiard Factory, and no I don't own it, a friend does. They sell billiard tables and lights, table tennis, darts, pub furniture, dinettes, accessories, etc. Last year he brought in 2 Gold Crown V's and 2 Brunswick Metro tables for a clinic by Charlie Williams, and left them there for practice for the public. He had the idea of trying to do a billiard academy type of environment, eventually adding a 3 cushion table, snooker, etc. He's brought in a different pro every 3 months since - Mika, Ralph Eckert, Jennifer Baretta, and Johnny Archer is next - so that's cool, I usually get to meet them and play with them as well since I'm there all the time.

It's nice and quiet (usually) to practice there, although more people are starting to show up. I teach free clinics once a month and also do regular lessons there and can practice for free, the tables play great and are tight, so lately I've been going up there for an hour or two at lunch to get some extra practice time in. I just got a table at home, but it needs some tweaking and the cloth needs to wear in, so I actually prefer the table there at the moment. Eventually I'll get things straightened out at home and get a camera setup etc.

Scott

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's interesting how the people who are willing to put in the work are usually better players.

I am 'willing' - but alas not all that 'able' too often - the wife & kids (2 & 4) hammer my spare time & energy levels - doh. hehe.

Cheers.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's interesting how the people who are willing to put in the work are usually better players.
I am 'willing' - but alas not all that 'able' too often - the wife & kids (2 & 4) hammer my spare time & energy levels - doh. hehe.
I probably should have written instead:

It's interesting how the people who are willing and able to put in the work are usually better players.

Anybody willing and able to try the BU Exams this weekend? If so, please post your score (and videos if available).

Thanks,
Dave

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I probably should have written instead:

It's interesting how the people who are willing and able to put in the work are usually better players.

Anybody willing and able to try the BU Exams this weekend? If so, please post your score (and videos if available).

Thanks,
Dave

Not many people have tables of their own and video cameras to do the filming.

Your setup is fairly involved and so it will take some time I think for more folks to get into it.

You have probably already thought of this idea but how about getting pool rooms to set up a BU table for a week and let their players take the exams.

I haven't had time but I have done a few of the drills. I suggest definitely loosening up before taking the test for real.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not many people have tables of their own and video cameras to do the filming.
Videos aren't required to post a score on this thead; although, they are fun to see.

Your setup is fairly involved and so it will take some time I think for more folks to get into it.
The donuts don't need to be placed on the table ... it just makes ball placement easier and more consistent.

You have probably already thought of this idea but how about getting pool rooms to set up a BU table for a week and let their players take the exams.
That's a great idea. Hopefully, people will approach and convince their local room owners to let them do this.

I haven't had time but I have done a few of the drills. I suggest definitely loosening up before taking the test for real.
I look forward to seeing your score (and videos if available).

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Dr. Dave,
I scored 65 on Exam 1, and 54 on Exam 2, Masters Level.
I played on a Brunswick 7 footer with a TDF of .9163. The videos are at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKieo9KwFEg and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7LWftuKxME

I have since shot a 62 on the Masters Exam 2, but I didn't get it recorded.
Thanks, Larry (Mooneye)

Mouth: 4 3\4
Throat: 4
Shelf: 1 1\2
Thank you for participating!

I've added your info and both scores to the list. Here's the latest:

List of AZB'ers who have taken the BU playing-ability exams so far (in ranked order):

BU score -- Username -- BU Rating, 10-ball ghost rating -- table: size, corner pocket mouth, throat, shelf -- Video links (if available):

168 -- Gerry Williams -- semi pro (A++/AAA), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Specs, Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
161 -- Gerry Williams -- semi pro (A++/AAA), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Specs, Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
160 -- scottjen26 -- semi pro (A++/AAA), 64 (A+) -- table 9', 4 1/2", 3 7/8", 1 1/2" -- Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
159 -- Gerry Williams -- adv-3 (A+/A), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Specs, Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
157 -- scottjen26 -- adv-3 (A+/A), 64 (A+) -- table 9', 4 1/2", 3 7/8", 1 1/2" -- Exam I (part 1, part 2), no Exam II video yet (see AZB post)
156 -- Gerry Williams -- adv-3 (A+/A), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Specs, Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II
149 -- scottjen26 -- adv-3 (A+/A), 64 (A+) -- table 9', 4 1/2", 3 7/8", 1 1/2" -- Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II
141 -- 12squared (Dave Gross) -- adv-3 (A+/A); 78 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 7/8", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" -- no videos (see AZB post)
141 -- Neil -- adv-3 (A+/A); 60 (A) -- table: 7', 4 1/8", 3 1/2", 1 3/8" -- Exam (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
135 -- dr_dave -- adv-2 (A-/B+), 54 (B+) -- table: 8', 4 3/4", 4 1/8", 1 3/8" -- Exam I, Exam II
132 -- Gerry Williams -- adv-2 (A-/B+), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Specs, Exam I, Exam II (part 1, part 2)
132 -- BRussell -- adv-2 (A-/B+), 51 (B+) -- table: 8', 5", 4 1/4", 1 1/2" -- Exam I, Exam II
127 -- Mooneye -- adv-2 (A-/B+) , no 10-ball ghost score yet -- table: 7', 4 3/4", 4", 1 1/2" -- Exam I, no Exam II video (see AZB post)
124 -- JC -- adv-1 (B/B-), 42 (C+) -- table: 9', 4 7/16", 3 7/8", 1 3/8" -- Table Specs, Exam 1, Exam 2
121 -- TheOneGnat -- adv-1 (B/B-), 51 (B+) -- table: 8', 4 1/2 in, 4 in, 1 5/8 in -- no videos (see AZB post and the update)
119 -- Mooneye -- adv-1 (B/B-), no 10-ball ghost score yet -- table: 7', 4 3/4", 4", 1 1/2" -- Exam I, Exam II
117 -- RobMan -- adv-1 (B/B-), 46 (B) -- table: 9', 5", no throat yet, 1" -- no videos (see AZB post)
112 -- Okie -- adv-1 (B/B-), 61 (A+) -- table: 9', 4 3/4", 4", 1 1/2" -- Table Specs, Exam I, Exam II
112 -- RobMan -- adv-1 (B/B-), 46 (B) -- table: 9', 5", no throat yet, 1" -- no videos (see AZB post)
108 -- row21097 -- int-3 (B-/C+), 57 (A) -- table: 9', 4 1/2”, 4”, 1 1/2” -- Table Specs, Exam I (part 1, part 2, part 3), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
102 -- Okie -- int-3 (B-/C+), 52 (B+) -- table: 9', 4 3/4", 4", 1 1/2" -- Table Specs, Exam I, Exam II
101 -- 67tbird -- int-3 (B-/C+), 46 (B) -- table: 8', 4 1/4", 4", 1 1/2" -- no videos (see AZB post)
92 -- 67tbird -- int-2 (C+/C), 34 (D+) -- table: 8', 4 1/4", 4", 1 1/2" -- no videos (see AZB post)
87 -- iusedtoberich -- int-2 (C+/C), 38 (C) -- table: 9', 5 1/8", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" -- Table Specs, Exam I, Exam II
78 -- iusedtoberich -- int-2 (C+/C), 38 (C) -- table: 9', 5 1/8", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" -- Table Specs, Exam I, Exam II
77 -- SeanChamp -- int-2 (C+/C), 29 (D) -- table: 8', 4 1/2", no throat yet, 1" -- no videos (see AZB post)
62 -- mamics -- int-1 (C), 20 (D) -- table: 9', 4 5/8", 3 13/16", 1 1/4" -- no videos (see AZB post)
55 -- mamics -- int-1 (C), 20 (D) -- table: 9', 4 5/8", 3 13/16", 1 1/4" -- no videos (see AZB post)

Here are the details and scores for all official BU graduates.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I played on a Brunswick 7 footer with a TDF of .9163.
Mouth: 4 3\4
Throat: 4
Shelf: 1 1\2
Thanks for posting this info also. FYI, I added the following to the TDF thread:

Mooneye -- 7':0.85 -- 4 3/4":0.98 -- 3/4":1.02 -- 1 1/2":0.97 -- 0.82

My math worked out differently than yours. Please check your numbers again, and let me know if I have a mistake.

Thanks again,
Dave

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
I finally finished a couple of videos for this. I am pretty disappointed with the results but that's the way it goes. :eek:

Table dimensions - http://www.justin.tv/0kie/c/2428961
Exam 1 - http://www.justin.tv/0kie/c/2435143
Exam 2 - http://www.justin.tv/0kie/c/2455141

Exam 1 - 57
Exam 1 - 67 http://www.justin.tv/0kie/c/2488344
Exam 2 - 45
Exam 2 - 60 http://www.justin.tv/0kie/c/2514636

JT's 10 Ball Rating (1st attempt) - 52
JT's 10 Ball Rating (2nd attempt) - 63
JT's 10 Ball Rating (3rd attempt) - 61

I will continue to work on it.

Ken