Advice Wanted

YubaCushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's funny advice... It's like telling a guy.." Don't buy a Ferrari ... Buy a Toyota ...it will still take you to the same places..."

Ferrari is a PRODUCTION car. Go ask them to make you a one of a kind and get laughed out of Italy. The example you are looking for is Don't buy a McLaren by a Viper. Funny advice is telling someone to buy a car before driving it. Kind of like buying a custom cue before playing with it. Witch you cant do.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're going to get lots of advice and opinions. It really comes down to this and nothing else...........You can buy someone else's cue & obviously that person's cue specs..........or you can order a cue and get exactly what you want in a cue weight, butt diameter, shaft weight & sizes, etc.

Those are your options and when you buy a cue versus ordering a cue, you wind up getting a cue someone had ordered with their cue specs which are probably different than yours. Make sure you know what you want in your cue and browse cue dealer websites and AZ, e-Bay, anywhere you prefer. You'll get a feel for "used" cue prices and even new ones and see how close you come to finding what you want. Don't settle for a 19.4 oz cue if you really want a 19.0 ozs., or shafts that are 13mm when you really prefer 12.85mm or a cue butt that's a little too fat versus one that has a diameter more comfortable in your hands. This is your first venture in high end cues and so do it right..........or else you'll eventually want to do it over.

I couldn't find a ivory joint cue with the weight I wanted even though I listed 17 cue-makers in my thread.....only one cue even came close. Sellers tried convincing me that the weight difference in their cue from what I wanted was insignificant........yeah, to them because they wanted a sale. But for me, I insisted on getting what I want, and only one cue came close and my budget was mentioned in my post ($2500 - $4000). I also contacted many cue dealers to try locating a cue but nothing ever came from it, except one and that cue was more than I wanted to spend. So I decided to have a custom cue built to my "exact specifications", even down to the forearm and butt sleeve designs. I considered 7 cue-makers, checked out their reputations, cue workmanship and selected one to build my cue. Now it's going to take 8-9 months to get my cue but I'll wind up with exactly what I want instead of some other cue owner's specs if I had purchased their cue.

Your biggest challenge is to exercise patience, and thus refrain from buying any cue based on its looks or the cue-maker's name. However, if you haven't sufficient playing experience to know what you really want in your cue, then blast away and buy anything you see that you like. And in all likelihood, you'll going to eventually change cues down the road when you perfect your game unless it's already at that stage. Rest assured, with your cue budget, you can buy some great cues but there are still cue-makers you can't even touch unless the cue was a SP or a merry widow version......those are cues you wouldn't want to consider even it the cue was made by Joel Hercek, not when you can buy another cue-maker's much more handsome cue for a lot less too.

Make a sale thread in the Wtd Sale/Buy section and describe exactly what you want, or the cue-makers you're interested in and sit back and sort thru the replies. You list a budget of $2500-$4000 and you'll get assaulted with offers which you'll have to sort out on your own.

Last edited:

YubaCushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're going to get lots of advice and opinions. It really comes down to this and nothing else...........You can buy someone else's cue & obviously that person's cue specs..........or you can order a cue and get exactly what you want in a cue weight, butt diameter, shaft weight & sizes, etc.

Those are your options and when you buy a cue versus ordering a cue, you wind up getting a cue someone had ordered with their cue specs which are probably different than yours. Make sure you know what you want in your cue and browse cue dealer websites and AZ, e-Bay, anywhere you prefer. You'll get a feel for "used" cue prices and even new ones and see how close you come to finding what you want. Don't settle for a 19.4 oz cue if you really want a 19.0 ozs., or shafts that are 13mm when you really prefer 12.85mm or a cue butt that's a little too fat versus one that has a diameter more comfortable in your hands. This is your first venture in high end cues and so do it right..........or else you'll eventually want to do it over.

I couldn't find a ivory joint cue with the weight I wanted even though I listed 17 cue-makers in my thread.....only one cue even came close. Sellers tried convincing me that the weight difference in their cue from what I wanted was insignificant........yeah, to them because they wanted a sale. But for me, I insisted on getting what I want, and only one cue came close and my budget was mentioned in my post ($2500 - $4000). I also contacted many cue dealers to try locating a cue but nothing ever came from it, except one and that cue was more than I wanted to spend. So I decided to have a custom cue built to my "exact specifications", even down to the forearm and butt sleeve designs. I considered 7 cue-makers, checked out their reputations, cue workmanship and selected one to build my cue. Now it's going to take 8-9 months to get my cue but I'll wind up with exactly what I want instead of some other cue owner's specs if I had purchased their cue.

Your biggest challenge is to exercise patience, and thus refrain from buying any cue based on its looks or the cue-maker's name. However, if you haven't sufficient playing experience to know what you really want in your cue, then blast away and buy anything you see that you like. And very like you're going to eventually change cues down the road when you perfect your game unless it's already at that stage. Rest assured,with your cue budget, you can buy some great cues but there are still cue-makers you can't even touch unless the cue was a SP or a merry widow version......those are cues you wouldn't want to consider even it the cue was made by Joel Hercek.

Make a sale thread in the Wtd Sale/Buy section and describe exactly what you want, or the cue-makers you're interested in and sit back and sort thru the replies. You list a budget of $2500-$4000 and you'll get assaulted with offers which you'll have to sort out on your own.

Well said. That's the best buying a new cue advice post ever.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow........YubaCushion.........I'm much accustomed to receiving criticism and sarcasm in response to my posts......yours comes as a complete surprise and a very kind gesture.........Thanks.

pathman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are so many great choices out there right now. I've just recently started buying a few cues again, and I haven't bought a bad one yet. I agree with a lot of the suggestions in this post and like many others, I have a couple for sale that I think would fit your request nicely. Having said that, if I were wanting to dip my toes into the "higher end" custom cue world to play with, I would call Mike Lambros, tell him what you are looking for in a player and place an order, no way to go wrong there.

YubaCushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have a cue that you like the way it plays, or find a cue you like the way it plays, and you could send it to the cue maker and tell him everything about the cue you like. Hopefully he can replicate that in your cue.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"You don't need a custom cue to shoot good pool."

Even the most magnificent cue in the world is not "magically empowered" to make up for poor mechanics. The pool player makes the game and the cue is simply a tool. After all, prior to nail guns becoming popular, carpenters used hammers. And the difference in hammer brands didn't affect the outcome and all the nails got pounded that day.

Pool cues are like hammers.......sure there's more expensive hammer versions with ergonomic handles, graphite composition. light weight construction, extra sturdy designs, indestructible hammer heads etc. But unless you're going to use that hammer all the time, every day........isn't just about any hammer okay to buy just to do what a hammer does........bang things. But after you've gone through several hammers and over the years, you eventually wind up collecting several hammers for a variety of different purposes.....a ball peen, a 3lb or 5 lb sledge, a tack hammer, and certainly several claw hammers in different versions. Well, why do that with pool cues if you can go for the one you want or desire?

The key word in all of this is "want". Bob Forrest doesn't need a pool cue just like he probably doesn't need another hammer. What Bob Forrest honestly and candidly expressed was that he "wanted" one. Everyone should know by now that needs and wants are not synonymous nor the same. What one needs, one often doesn't want and contrarily, what one wants, one very often doesn't need. But if you are in a position to treat yourself to something that you 'd really like to have, like a custom pool cue which is admittedly a totally selfish, self-indulgence..........then do it.....go for it.....heck, life is too short.....what if you only lived another 37 months........or 61 months..........or 70 more years.

You do not have a crystal ball to your future. Unless there are monetary circumstances that need to be more thoughtfully considered which doesn't seem to be the situation, don't deny your self one of the greatest pleasures you'll get to enjoy in pool playing, next to finishing really high in tournaments. Go get a great cue.........do it.....I have never gone to a pool hall anywhere where players do not come over to ask to look at my Paul Mottey cue or my Tim Scruggs cue. Both are splendid examples of each cue-makers best workmanship and of course, both cues have ivory joints which really stand out between the shaft and the great forearm designs on both cues. I always get questions and of course, nothing but compliments. It really raises your own sense of self-esteem and you even try harder when you play......out of fear of embarrassment over playing badly or shooting with a pride of cue ownership....does matter which one.....you just play better.

Bob Forrest, I won't presume to advise you more than what I've already posted. Just keep in mind you can make this a great first experience or a very expensive first experience. If you ever want to chat about cues, drop me a PM but always remember this......"Advice isn't worth anything more than what you paid to get it."

Last edited:

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that I would be looking purely for a Gina cue. If I couldn't find one I like in the price range, then I would ask the question to figure out who is next.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
My first reaction was that maybe you should consider looking into a nice high end production cue, schon, mezz, even one of the higher end predators, but I see you already have that, so perhaps the next logical step would be a custom of your liking. I always kinda shied away from made-to-order customs because of the wait time, the fact that there was no way to try it out, and several thousand dollars was always just a little too much for me to spend on something that I will "probably" like but might not, so any custom that I ever bought was one that the cuemaker had already made and had for sale. But still the thrill of being the first and only one to play with a cue that was made just for me has to be worth something. I suppose it depends on where you place your value.
I understand that a lot of Ernie Martinez's cues are landing in the far east with dealers there, you might see if you can locate one of those, I've only ever heard good things about those, in my experience that opinion is justified. Reasonable, outstanding cues.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Celophanewrap (& readers et all)

Here's something to ponder when you're bored. Imagine if you could have a pool cue and let's not even ponder what the heck the darn cue looks like or who made it, and the cue was exactly the way you'd like it to be.......assuming of course you might have something specific in mind.

Presuming that was the case and you could have any weight cue butt, with or without a weight bolt, and any diameter (circumference) which felt best in your hand, and shaft sizes were exactly as you'd like them to be, say 12.85mm with 1" ivory ferrules and the shafts weighed a minimum of 4.0 ozs.or heavier instead of 3.5 or 3.7 ozs. with the tips you'd like and the taper was a little longer than what might be the cue-maker's standard, whatever that might be, but still as long as you'd otherwise prefer, maybe 13.5" (I dunno.....just an example) and the joint was a flat faced ivory joint with wood faced shafts and a radial pin or any big pin thread you'd otherwise prefer, or a piloted ivory or steel joint....make it phenolic....whatever you want because this cue is just the way you'd like it to be.....forget about what it looks like for now. Do you think you'd play any better with it than your current cue or someone else's cue you just bought?

I respectfully submit for your consideration, and any other readers of this post as well, that indeed you would first of all try harder and secondly, and most importantly, shoot more consistently, i.e., better pool play. Now let's step up this imaginary scenario a wee bit more if you're up to it. Close your eyes and imagine.....hey, are your eyes closed, no peeking or this won't work......imagine the most handsome cue you've ever seen.........doesn't matter whom the cue-maker was...........or combine the best of the best of whatever you can recall from all the cues you've seen in person, or any publication (Blue Book of Cues), or the Internet.........create that cue in your mind, envision whether the wood is ebony, amboyna, BEM, purple heart, dessertwood.....it doesn't matter because it's anything you want it to be...........and of course, whatever veneers you want, or the number of points like 4, 6, maybe 8............don't forget the inlays and the material for design and appearance because ivory shows much differently than MOP, abalone, other materials......pick whatever you want............plus the design and shapes..........of course, you must include the butt sleeve........and any rings and collars........and please think about the wrap type and color.

Now after you've sorted all that out in your mind, and you have a clear image of what you want, then imagine that cue made to the exact specifications earlier mentioned which would be as you'd like them to be. And now I ask you once again, if that cue was yours.....do you think you'd play better? Would you be proud of owning that cue and most of all, pleased as well. I am betting you would and most other players would as well. I have gone through this entire exercise and worked very hard to come up with exactly what I want down to the most finite details in my cue specifications and design for my cue-maker. Do I expect him to deliver me a cue that's 100% what I want. Well, I'm not naïve and so I do not but l expect him to bust his ass trying and that's all I can expect or hope for.

Fortunately, I'm dealing with a gem of a cue-maker and we clicked instantly the first time we spoke after I submitted everything to him. We collaborated on the final version and I'm excited as hell about this cue and I'm not apprehensive because my guy has a sterling reputation unlike Tony Zinzola's bashing taking place right now on the Forum. Please don't infer anything other than enthusiasm on my part about my cue; I do not want to come across as boastful or as a showoff. This custom cue is costing less than what I paid for either my Paul Mottey or my Tim Scruggs cues. And God knows there are more expensive cues for sales and more expensive cues owned by other readers of this post than the ones I own. Heck, to infer I'm bragging would miss the entire point.

The "Point" being a custom made cue to your exact specifications and overall design or appearance.........do you think you'd play better, or just enjoy playing pool more, if you owned such a cue. Again, I respectfully submit to all readers the answer would be yes. That's why I'm having a cue made instead of spending thousands on a cue that doesn't meet my specs...........I got $5-6k in two gorgeous specimens that play better than any other cues I've played with. My game improved when I retired my Schon in favor or the Mottey & Scruggs cues........but neither the Mottey nor Scruggs cues are the way I'd otherwise prefer the cues to be. So I finally woke up and concluded why should I do the same thing all over again and there were 17 top named cue-makers listed in my wanted to buy thread. Why buy another cue that has .3 ozs more weight than I want, or shafts that are smaller or larger than what I desire, or had the notorious "slight taper roll, doesn't affect play" description, or the ferrules weren't ivory etc. Been there......done that.......not going back to that neighborhood again.

In hindsight, I'm really happy a cue hasn't been yet proposed to me which was satisfactory. That's how I arrived at the decision to have the custom cue made. I decided that I'm not going to have a deja vu experience again buying another expensive cue that wasn't exactly the way I'd like it to have been. I've already done that twice and 3 strikes and you're out as the saying goes. Obviously, ordering a custom cue isn't for everyone, nor is spending dollars of thousands for a wooden tool called a pool cue. But just take the time to contemplate what you'd want in a cue or what it might look like.............ya gotta admit it's a kick to think about................Bob Forest, you still out there.....have you closed your eyes yet and imagined what you'd want?

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Been wanting a custom cue for a while now, but could never justify the cost, I don't play enough really (2 jobs and an online Master's Degree in progress) but I do love the game...

Anyway, just quit smoking and decided to treat myself - even got the missus to let go of my balls and release the funds...

So... what should I get? having a hard time deciding and so decided to come on here and ask you guys...

Budget is $2-3k possibly up to 4 for something super awesome...

I love TADs but the fancy ones will be out of my price league... Lambros, Carmelli, Omen, Prewitt,.... and??? I like fairly old-school designs

What would you recommend??? I'm after a player and not a museum piece

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...

Bob

Michael Bender, Richard Black, Jim Buss, Tascarella, you might find a simple 4 pointer Joss West still in decent shape. At $2k-$4k there are some great choices you will have. My Jim Buss (8 pointer) and my Richard Black are shown in my Avatar.

I agree

I know that I would be looking purely for a Gina cue. If I couldn't find one I like in the price range, then I would ask the question to figure out who is next.

Buying a custom won't make you play better (although its better than crappy equipment), but the original poster already knew that. What a nice cue does do, though, is it can build confidence while making you feel good. That's why people play with custom cues.

If I was in his shoes, I'd be buying a Gina. I have owned every big name maker, spent an ungodly amount of money, well in to the 6 figures, and have settled on my Gina. It's been my player for 7 or 8 years. Played with a Gina before that, too. It will always hold its value and its build quality will outlive me. Had I known, I would have saved a lot of effort had I bought a Gina to begin with. And Ernie is a great guy, too.

Spend as much as you can stand. Don't feel guilty. It's something you will have for your entire life and will be able to leave it to a loved one.

My .02c

lemonade

Banned
Make sure whatever you get is going to hold its value.. A few classic style cue makers that come to mind are: Richard Black, Tim Scruggs, Bill McDaniels, Tad, Gilbert, Tescarella, Bill Stroud just to name a few.. I would also recommend a traditional style cue with 4 points veneers, Cortland 9 or cuttyhunk wrap, ivory joint and ivory buttcap..

Id also recommend staying away from zinzola cues

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lot of good advice on cue-makers and investment consideration etc.......but you're still winding up with a cue that may not meet your specs, presuming you have something in mind. Search and look by all means but don't compromise for looks or name alone, or price for that matter, if the cue doesn't align really closely with your specs.

Otherwise, you'll eventually wind up flipping the cue like so many other AZers because sooner or later a cue closer to what you'd like or wanted comes along. Why do this twice, 3x, or 5x or even more? Some cue-owners wind up never owning with a cue there wasn't some little tweak they'd have preferred in the cue. Like I previously commented, you can either enjoy a great first experience buying a custom cue or acquire some pretty expensive firsthand knowledge to use on your next cue purchase.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I previously commented, you can either enjoy a great first experience buying a custom cue or acquire some pretty expensive firsthand knowledge to use on your next cue purchase.

Or, endure months/years of nail-biting anxiety only to receive a cue that looks/plays much worse than what you've envisioned. The vast majority of players have no clue what they want in a custom cue. They come on here, read a few threads, and *think* they know what they want in terms of specs...but ultimately, dialing in your specs requires experimenting/trying out many different cues over the course of several years.

Also, the design of your cue is very difficult to nail down. You might think something would look nice in a cue, and it could turn out very weird. Even a "classic" 4 pointer has many design pitfalls when a customer gets too enthusiastic, from veneer colors to ring dimensions etc. Or you might pick the wrong cuemaker to build the style of cue you desire, and the result could be a year-long wait and thousands of dollars for a cue that will end up disappointing you.

Finally, there's the value or lack thereof to consider. Of the hundreds of makers working today, only a handful will retain any kind of value on the secondary market, that's just the cold hard truth. I read all the time on the FS forum "this cue is *worth* blah blah blah, I paid ra-ra-ra for this cue and weeks/months later that thread is still being bumped, cue unsold, owner despondent. If your custom design is oddball, the chances are even lower that you'll recoup even half your money on the cue if/when you go to sell it. The market is stupidly soft right now, and has been for years, while more and more cuemakers come out of the woodwork.

It's a challenge in Shanghai I'm sure, but my advice is to find a cue that's already made, by a solid CM, hit a few balls with it, and buy it on the secondary market. There are sooo many great cues available for sale every week on azb, at shows, from private dealers etc. To me this is by far the best option for someone who knows they don't know exactly what they want in a pool cue; I know I didn't until my 4th or 5th custom cue order.

If I had 2-4k to spend on a cue, I would be looking at an impressive Mottey or White. If I insist on having a cue custom made, I would be looking at a monster Kenny Murrell.

-roger

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member

Your biggest challenge is to exercise patience, and thus refrain from buying any cue based on its looks or the cue-maker's name. However, if you haven't sufficient playing experience to know what you really want in your cue, then blast away and buy anything you see that you like. And in all likelihood, you'll going to eventually change cues down the road when you perfect your game unless it's already at that stage. Rest assured, with your cue budget, you can buy some great cues but there are still cue-makers you can't even touch unless the cue was a SP or a merry widow version......those are cues you wouldn't want to consider even it the cue was made by Joel Hercek, not when you can buy another cue-maker's much more handsome cue for a lot less too.

The best advice on this site WRT buying a custom cue. A "custom" cue is built to YOUR specs/desires...while I appreciate the secondary market and can understand why it's there, I buy cues to play with. Be it a high end production cue or a custom, I buy them to play with and not to sell. What's the point in paying a premium for a custom cue made to someone else's specs? Find a good maker, start a dialogue and get a cue that is truly "yours", in design and dimensions...you'll appreciate it more.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I'll want a custom, I'll contact Bob Dzuricky. I saw his videos, I like his approach to the cue building.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Been wanting a custom cue for a while now, but could never justify the cost, I don't play enough really (2 jobs and an online Master's Degree in progress) but I do love the game...

Anyway, just quit smoking and decided to treat myself - even got the missus to let go of my balls and release the funds...

So... what should I get? having a hard time deciding and so decided to come on here and ask you guys...

Budget is $2-3k possibly up to 4 for something super awesome...

I love TADs but the fancy ones will be out of my price league... Lambros, Carmelli, Omen, Prewitt,.... and??? I like fairly old-school designs

What would you recommend??? I'm after a player and not a museum piece

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...

Bob

First, NEVER tell a cue peddler how much your able to spend, be like telling a car salesman price doesn't matter.

I see your in China.

Personally, I would attend a large event where sellers of used cues are being peddled. This would be a Perfect place to start your look, why? because the seller will let you hit balls with any cue before purchase, and you can ck straightness. The chances of getting a cue that could warp in time are lessened because the cues are generally 2-30 yrs old or older. Find an event where the peddlers are at and starts learning and getting answers you seek.

bobforest

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or, endure months/years of nail-biting anxiety only to receive a cue that looks/plays much worse than what you've envisioned. The vast majority of players have no clue what they want in a custom cue. They come on here, read a few threads, and *think* they know what they want in terms of specs...but ultimately, dialing in your specs requires experimenting/trying out many different cues over the course of several years.

Also, the design of your cue is very difficult to nail down. You might think something would look nice in a cue, and it could turn out very weird. Even a "classic" 4 pointer has many design pitfalls when a customer gets too enthusiastic, from veneer colors to ring dimensions etc. Or you might pick the wrong cuemaker to build the style of cue you desire, and the result could be a year-long wait and thousands of dollars for a cue that will end up disappointing you.

Finally, there's the value or lack thereof to consider. Of the hundreds of makers working today, only a handful will retain any kind of value on the secondary market, that's just the cold hard truth. I read all the time on the FS forum "this cue is *worth* blah blah blah, I paid ra-ra-ra for this cue and weeks/months later that thread is still being bumped, cue unsold, owner despondent. If your custom design is oddball, the chances are even lower that you'll recoup even half your money on the cue if/when you go to sell it. The market is stupidly soft right now, and has been for years, while more and more cuemakers come out of the woodwork.

It's a challenge in Shanghai I'm sure, but my advice is to find a cue that's already made, by a solid CM, hit a few balls with it, and buy it on the secondary market. There are sooo many great cues available for sale every week on azb, at shows, from private dealers etc. To me this is by far the best option for someone who knows they don't know exactly what they want in a pool cue; I know I didn't until my 4th or 5th custom cue order.

If I had 2-4k to spend on a cue, I would be looking at an impressive Mottey or White. If I insist on having a cue custom made, I would be looking at a monster Kenny Murrell.

-roger

You sir have won my utmost respect in the last 24 hours. This post and your PM have been direct, honest, relevant, insightful, intelligent and very very very helpful in my decision making... exactly what I came here for...

Truly - Thank you so much

Bob