Predator BUTTS

jockey

Banned
during the past month, i've noticed several members selling cue butts.
specifically, Predator.
i remember how cuemakers commented that the predator was a well built full splice.
here's what i came away with, photo posted below.

it already has been turned and tapered, stainless joint collar and unilock pin installed,
$150.00 bucks, how could i go wrong.

i found 2 mcdermott 3/8x10 shafts and will convert those to unilock insert.
that nice leather you see in photo will take the place of the string wrap.
will remove the plastic hoppe ring and place a thick southwest style wood ring there extending butt 1/2 inch.
and then cap the bottom bumperless style with polished exposed bolt.

any thoughts, i'd like to hear from you.
thanks in advance.

mel_smOg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
looks like a pretty cool project, I would personaly chage the pin to 3/8x10 not shafts to uni-lock if you dont plan to sell it
really dont like uni-lock

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
looks like a pretty cool project, I would personaly chage the pin to 3/8x10 not shafts to uni-lock if you dont plan to sell it
really dont like uni-lock

Exactly this! 3/8x10 is a nice pin. Uni-loc deadens cues too much for me.

jockey

Banned
will remove the plastic hoppe ring and place a thick southwest style wood ring there extending butt 1/2 inch.

the southwest style ring does sound good,
and then i thought, maybe something like this.
either way it's a winner, it's almost diffucult to screw up a good cue. :)

Last edited:

mel_smOg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the southwest style ring does sound good,
and then i thought, maybe something like this.
either way it's a winner, it's almost diffucult to screw up a good cue. :)

I am telling you- my tasc looks great. I love old school derlin butt cap.

jockey

Banned
$150.00 bucks, i'm totally happy

I am telling you- my tasc looks great. I love old school derlin butt cap.
last time i put my hand in that cookie jar :)

stock photo downloaded from internet, brand new Predator SP4RJL.
and that's the butt i'm working with.

shotmaker45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
specifically, Predator.
i remember how cuemakers commented that the predator was a well built full splice.
here's what i came away with, photo posted below.

it already has been turned and tapered, stainless joint collar and unilock pin installed,
$150.00 bucks, how could i go wrong.

that nice leather you see in photo will take the place of the string wrap.

any thoughts, i'd like to hear from you.
thanks in advance.

i really don't think you should lengthen the butt. i think you should take 1/2 off the butt so the butt stays the same length

jockey

Banned
on second thought

i really don't think you should lengthen the butt. i think you should take 1/2 off the butt so the butt stays the same length

tried my hand at the photoshop drawing board, i'm in complete agreement with you.
this isnt the route i'm taking, dont like it at all.
change of heart, change of mind, especially now that i see its outcome.

will accepept a traditional appearance, modifications will be minor, you wont even notice them.
but i have to say, i'm more than dirt happy with the upcoming project, this is going to be good..

shotmaker45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tried my hand at the photoshop drawing board, i'm in complete agreement with you.
this isnt the route i'm taking, dont like it at all.
change of heart, change of mind, especially now that i see its outcome.

will accepept a traditional appearance, modifications will be minor, you wont even notice them.
but i have to say, i'm more than dirt happy with the upcoming project, this is going to be good..

honestly i like the way predator did their hoppe ring. if anything had to be changed i might make it a hair thicker but that's about all i'd change. that cue looks real classic and doens't need to be chagned. it screams classic pool and it's probably the nicest cue that predator ever offered. with the accepption of the black P2 with wrap

jockey

Banned
honestly i like the way predator did their hoppe ring. if anything had to be changed i might make it a hair thicker but that's about all i'd change. that cue looks real classic and doens't need to be chagned. it screams classic pool and it's probably the nicest cue that predator ever offered. with the accepption of the black P2 with wrap

i agree, cues will remain completely stock :)

jockey

Banned
specifically, Predator.
any thoughts, i'd like to hear from you, thanks in advance.

here's a quik shot of the shaft i'm changing to adapt a unilock pin.
this is a 3/8ths x 10thread mcdermott, the unilock insert will make shaft piloted.

Brain71

Railbird
Silver Member
Someone posted a Predator that they had Tiger refinish not too long ago. They did away with the Predator logo and put a plug style bumper on it. Looked great. Kept the small white buttcap and looked awesome.

jockey

Banned
Someone posted a Predator that they had Tiger refinish not too long ago. They did away with the Predator logo and put a plug style bumper on it. Looked great. Kept the small white buttcap and looked awesome.

here's the az forum page link ,
i tried for the 8 point predator and just couldnt afford the extra couple of bucks.
i did however purchase the 4 point green veneered predator and got a smokin' good deal.
http://forums.azbilliards.com//showthread.php?t=331998&referrerid=87195

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend $takehor$e had a cuemaker in Indy take a Predator butt, and put a 3/8 -11 (Southwest Pin) in it. Then had the shafts made to match.

That freakin cue played great. In fact, it was the best hitting Predator I had ever played with.

He really did it like you as an experiment as he is fan of big pin cues. He was right, with that big Southwest pin it played great.

Best of rolls,

Ken

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
My friend $takehor$e had a cuemaker in Indy take a Predator butt, and put a 3/8 -11 (Southwest Pin) in it. Then had the shafts made to match.

That freakin cue played great. In fact, it was the best hitting Predator I had ever played with.

He really did it like you as an experiment as he is fan of big pin cues. He was right, with that big Southwest pin it played great.

Best of rolls,

Ken

Were they Southwest shafts or made by another?

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I think he used a bunch of different shafts. Some were Southwest and some were others including Rick Howard.

Ken

Rick actually did the first predator conversion for me, but I did have Fred Fairchild in Indy do a 3/8 conversion....it was on a Madison Bob cue. The one Rick did was sweet, first generation SP with a really nice shaft. I sold it on here and that's one cue I wish I had back. Since then I have done at least 6 or 8 more. I now do them with a local cue builder and they have all been fine players, especially if you prefer a big pin cue. I have used the original predator shaft as well as several other ones, SW included. Most were wood to wood uniloc cues but a few were steel joints and the last one I did was an Ikon cue. The spliced butts, esp the older green veneer ones imo are really nice.

I found a few pics, not the greatest but its an idea. The bottom cue is the Ikon.

Attachments

• predators 014.jpg
    predators 014.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 173
  • predators 016.jpg
    predators 016.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IKON-.jpg
    IKON-.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited: