Mike Sigel Cues

bountybuddy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no idea why they have lost value. Cost high or low, the cue that feels like it was made just for you, that is the cue you should buy. My 2 cents. Shoot well my friend.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny, I played with them and was not impressed at all. I remember that they were all, even the lower end cues, pretty high priced. I think Sigel tried to sell them more with his name and not the workmanship.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
From what I've seen the entire cue market is depressed

I played with a Mike Sigel cue and was impressed with its performance. Why have these cues lost value?

I've had several of his high line cues and they all played well. From what I've seen the entire cue market is depressed compared to when Mike was making cues.....it figures his cues would depreciate as a result of the overall "pool economy".

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with a Mike Sigel cue and was impressed with its performance. Why have these cues lost value?

His targeted market was overseas. He got big bucks from across the ocean. I don't think many people in America really know much about them.

Then you have people on Ebay trying to sell the $39 dollar Mike Sigel and try and say they are the custom models.:frown:

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here you go...

ms1.jpg

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny, I played with them and was not impressed at all. I remember that they were all, even the lower end cues, pretty high priced. I think Sigel tried to sell them more with his name and not the workmanship.

Exactly right, I to also think he tried selling them behind his name and not the workmenship. Many also believe that they where made for mike with just his name attached to them, I doubt it very much that Mike was behind the lathe doing all the work. It takes years and years to gain the know how and all the tools to be able to make a quality cue. There had to be a cue maker behind this some how and I doubt is was Mike.

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the beginning his cues were bringing premium prices. Then he, or someone else, started liquidating a bunch of them on Ebay for next to nothing. Cues that were at one time selling for $2K+ were being sold for $400 or so on Ebay. And poof... there goes their value...

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the beginning his cues were bringing premium prices. Then he, or someone else, started liquidating a bunch of them on Ebay for next to nothing. Cues that were at one time selling for $2K+ were being sold for $400 or so on Ebay. And poof... there goes their value...

Agreed. Kind of the Dale Perry Market Model.

My first impression was well if you were ever around Mike Siegal, he is an incredible a$$hole. Then I thought there are several cuemakers that are that way so that probably didnt affect the price either way.

I know I once looked at one of his cues at SBE and he told me I couldnt afford it. :mad:

I should call him and say, I sure can afford them now....:eek:

Ken

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two custom Sigel cues and love them both. I know Mike and he is certainly full of himself, but he has only been nice to me and very easy to deal with when he made these two cues.

Maybe, Ken, he said you couldn't afford his cues because you misspelled his name?:grin: I hate it when someone assumes you can't afford something just because you look a certain way. I wear a tie everyday for work and like to dress casual everywhere else so sometimes I look like I couldn't rub two nickels together. Oh well, when one assumes......

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
They are just average cues, most of very pretty to look at but generally the fall right in the middle of the road overall. Nothing wrong with that.

I think the problem was there was a lot of confusion when they originally being built between origin and marketing and distribution and I think they really got lost in the mix. There was never a lot of consistency there aand most people know very little about them. Even Mike seems to have changed his story over the years, maybe he doesn't even remember all the details. :)

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
Who really knows for sure...

But it's my understanding that Mike spent a pretty good amount of time working for a cue maker or two. Seems like I remember him working for Joss 'back in the day'. I'm not really sure of his level of mastery, but he's probably not completely lost at a lathe.

I've always found his designs to be rather gaudy and not really my cup of tea. I've had the chance to play with a few. 1 was magical and the other 2 were turds IMO.

Exactly right, I to also think he tried selling them behind his name and not the workmenship. Many also believe that they where made for mike with just his name attached to them, I doubt it very much that Mike was behind the lathe doing all the work. It takes years and years to gain the know how and all the tools to be able to make a quality cue. There had to be a cue maker behind this some how and I doubt is was Mike.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Same, limited designs + rounded inlays screams "production" and also usually equates to very low-resale value. That's because nearly all of the well-versed collectors shun stuff like that.

Jamie is correct, it seemed that most of the cues he made were bought up by one guy, and when those started getting dumped on ebay, that pretty much chiseled in stone what the market for those cues would be.

And all that happened when the market was still good.

But the ones I tried did hit very well.

kaylaemarx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel was one of the greatest pool players that ever lived. I have one custom-made Sigel cues with me.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But it's my understanding that Mike spent a pretty good amount of time working for a cue maker or two. Seems like I remember him working for Joss 'back in the day'. I'm not really sure of his level of mastery, but he's probably not completely lost at a lathe.

I've always found his designs to be rather gaudy and not really my cup of tea. I've had the chance to play with a few. 1 was magical and the other 2 were turds IMO.

Mike spent time in the shop with Dan Janes but I'm not sure he ever worked there. This was when he was considered to be the best in the world as a player. I don't know that he ever put in enough time to be considered a cue maker.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same, limited designs + rounded inlays screams "production" and also usually equates to very low-resale value. That's because nearly all of the well-versed collectors shun stuff like that.

Jamie is correct, it seemed that most of the cues he made were bought up by one guy, and when those started getting dumped on ebay, that pretty much chiseled in stone what the market for those cues would be.

That's too bad. I remember after "Mike" finished one for me, I took it to my local room to play. Sigel used to frequent this place when he worked for Joss and teh room owner knew him well. I showed him the cue and he really liked it. I told him Sigel made it and he started laughing. Said there was no way he could make something that nice that someone else did the work. I love the cue and don't plan on selling it so who cares I guess. When I saw Mike later that year, he seemed to really enjoy the artistic part of designing a cue. Who knows?

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mike sold his cue making business to Dan Heidrich in SC. I met Dan at the last Turning Stone, and he told me that Mike sold him all the equipment, wood, supplies, etc, plus spent a goodly amount of time teaching him how to use it all. Dan's cues seemed OK to me, at least to look at.

Dan said Mike had a lot to say about how they should be made as far as playability goes. No idea if he actually produced a great playing cue, but he apparently knew enough to teach another guy how to make them.

http://www.heidrichcustomcues.com/about_heidrich.htm

Maybe somebody can contact him through his website if they want to know more details.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The same with Cognoscenti Cues .....I never understood why anyone would want one....

They all look the same to me. A basic cue with CNC inlays, repeated over and over.

Each to their own.

Ken